A Curious Observation In Ftm People Regarding Hair Loss

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive recently been watching a few FTM transitioning journies on youtube and my norwood radar picked up on the receding hairlines of some of the guys in the videos. We all know women also experience hairloss but in a diffuse unpatterned way with no hairline recession. So how can someone who is biologically female exhibit the same pattern of balding as biological males? Shouldn't they bald in the same manner as females?
I think myself and alot of people were under the impression that your hairloss pattern is pre determined in the womb.Common Male and Female hairloss is Androgenic Alopecia which has the same fundamental cause, DHT. Someone who is transitioning to a Male is clearly putting their follicles at risk of miniturisation from the dramatic increase of testosterone which is then converted into DHT. A biological cis female obviously has far less testosterone than a biological man so that is why they lose hair alot later in life but the way they lose it is almost always diffused and unpatterned with no signs of recession or crown balding. This surely is an anomaly in our understanding of hairloss?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im a little confused by what you mean
I mean that when a woman transitions into a man and they have hairloss in their family they will bald like a man does. A receding hairline for example. A biological female when she balds does so in a thinning diffused and unpatterned way but leaving the hairline intact. What im getting at is why would a biological female bald just like a man would when they take testostrone?

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
IIRC the balding gene is on the X chromosome and usually passed by the mother. I think the flood of testosterone into a female body triggers the male pattern baldness gene and causes FTM to start balding.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
IIRC the balding gene is on the X chromosome and usually passed by the mother. I think the flood of testosterone into a female body triggers the male pattern baldness gene and causes FTM to start balding.
But what if they were never to transition and still lose their hair? They wouldn't recede but simply diffuse. Something else must be going on

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see, interesting question. If indeed true, that women with balding fathers or family lineage were to bald when transitioning, you would think this indicates genetics, but on a deeper level the estrogen testosterone balance.
What would be even more revealing is if a woman that already had thinning hair (FPB) transitioned and then acquired patterned loss.
Now that is something which should be looked into. I have no idea what would happen but i'd guess they would still thin diffusely with the addition of recession

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It would be cool to know because if they did develop male pattern baldness after the transition and already had thin hair, we would get some idea on the differential follicles and why some don't miniaturize.
It could possibly lead to a cure, or at least more resistant follicles.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive recently been watching a few FTM transitioning journies on youtube and my norwood radar picked up on the receding hairlines of some of the guys in the videos. We all know women also experience hairloss but in a diffuse unpatterned way with no hairline recession. So how can someone who is biologically female exhibit the same pattern of balding as biological males? Shouldn't they bald in the same manner as females?
I think myself and alot of people were under the impression that your hairloss pattern is pre determined in the womb.Common Male and Female hairloss is Androgenic Alopecia which has the same fundamental cause, DHT. Someone who is transitioning to a Male is clearly putting their follicles at risk of miniturisation from the dramatic increase of testosterone which is then converted into DHT. A biological cis female obviously has far less testosterone than a biological man so that is why they lose hair alot later in life but the way they lose it is almost always diffused and unpatterned with no signs of recession or crown balding. This surely is an anomaly in our understanding of hairloss?
I have a theory. maybe the cis females bald later in life from decreasing estrogen levels and not from high T levels, causing diffuse female pattern. And the Trans men are balding from the high male hormones in the male pattern.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a theory. maybe the cis females bald later in life from decreasing estrogen levels and not from high T levels, causing diffuse female pattern. And the Trans men are balding from the high male hormones in the male pattern.
Thats an interesting theory. Either way its a strange phenomenon and doesnt really make much sense.

Established Member
Reaction score
Idk man have you looked at women's hairlines closely? I see a very significant amount of them that have what would be considered a kind of receded or mature hairline on a man. I just don't think anyone notices because their hair is thick and nobody is checking for that and it doesn't look bad on women.