A cure for Hair Loss (male pattern baldness)

CRMagico

Reaction score
Hi guys, Recently on the news I saw that they have found/developed a drug that can cure Alopecia! :punk: Here's the article about it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ir-grow-set-standard-treatment-condition.html However, I'm like many here and suffer from male pattern baldness. Do you think we will have a treatment soon that will be able to stop/regrow hair with side effects? Is there something coming in 2015? Or will it be a lot later? Do you think Transplants are a good idea or are you have to shave your head? :D Best wishes everyone!

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride and dutasteride are the closest we have to a cure and for some it is enough to be effectively a cure. But a real cure will not come any time soon. The only real options are these meds to stop treatment, and high end hairpieces if you are already bald. Hair transplants have their place too

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If you browse the forum a little you would have the answer to all your questions. You don't even have to go digging either.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't believe there will ever be a true cure to male pattern baldness. Well, at least not in my lifetime -- which, selfishly, is really all I care about. If 400 years from now some sort of cure is found, considering the Earth isn't a vast wasteland destroyed by nuclear war, why should any of us give a flying f*ck about it? But unless they come up with some way to breed the baldness gene out of existence, I don't ever envision a world without bald men.

theonelink

Reaction score
People do you think there will be a pill in our lifetime that grows back all of our hair? I mean all of it, our juvenile hair... similar to that new alopecia pill. that's what I'd call a cure, not hair cloning... I can see all the vellus hair where my juvenile hair was, one can but dream!

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
People do you think there will be a pill in our lifetime that grows back all of our hair? I mean all of it, our juvenile hair... similar to that new alopecia pill. that's what I'd call a cure, not hair cloning... I can see all the vellus hair where my juvenile hair was, one can but dream!
If that day comes within 15 years of now, you'll never see anyone more happy to eat their own words than me lol. I just don't believe in magical panaceas. I hope I'm wrong though.

EvilLocks

Reaction score

Androgenic Alopecia and Alopecia Areata have two very different causes as well as a different effect on the hair follicle. In AA the hair follicle is not harmed in any way, but it is your immune system that shocks the hair to fall out. In Androgenetic Alopecia the hair follicle is miniaturized to the point of not producing hair at all, because of an inherited sensitivity to hormones in the body. I think everyone can agree on that it is easier to make a healthy follicle grow hair, rather than making a damaged follicle somehow repair itself and reverse to full size, THEN starting to produce terminal hair. Because of the different causes of these condition and their effect on the hair follicle, this newfound "cure" for alopecia will most likely not work for Androgenetic Alopecia / male pattern baldness. Also I think it will be much harder to cure pattern baldness, because the damaged follicle has to be addressed and reversed to a healthy state. I don't think that will happen any time soon. If I were you I'd actually put my money on hair cloning as a future cure, even if it's 10-20 years away. But like Cincinnati Kid over here said, that will be a long time from now, if it even happens in our lifetime / youth. What we need is a cure NOW, but even if they found the cure today, it would still have to go through the FDA approval time to reach the masses, and would still be years away from being offered to the masses as a treatment. So basically we are ****ed here, no matter how you see it.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
a cure will certainly not come in the form of a pill. When it comes it will either be some miracle topical that blocks all androgen receptors (unlikely, and even this wont cure someone who is already bald)

the cure will come in the form of hair cloning, almost certainly, and not soon

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
not male pattern baldness

it's 2 different things altogether

Not really.

- - - Updated - - -

a cure will certainly not come in the form of a pill. When it comes it will either be some miracle topical that blocks all androgen receptors (unlikely, and even this wont cure someone who is already bald)

the cure will come in the form of hair cloning, almost certainly, and not soon

Some people said a cure will not come out in the form of a pill for AA... and look what happened.