A couple of interesting Saw Palmetto studies

le voleur

Reaction score
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of botanically derived inhibitors of 5-alpha-reductase in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

Prager N, Bickett K, French N, Marcovici G.

Clinical Research and Development Network, Aurora, CO, USA.

BACKGROUND: Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is characterized by the structural miniaturization of androgen-sensitive hair follicles in susceptible individuals and is anatomically defined within a given pattern of the scalp. Biochemically, one contributing factor of this disorder is the conversion of testosterone (T) to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) via the enzyme 5-alpha reductase (5AR). This metabolism is also key to the onset and progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Furthermore, Androgenetic Alopecia has also been shown to be responsive to drugs and agents used to treat BPH. Of note, certain botanical compounds have previously demonstrated efficacy against BPH. Here, we report the first example of a placebo-controlled, double-blind study undertaken in order to examine the benefit of these botanical substances in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. OBJECTIVES: The goal of this study was to test botanically derived 5AR inhibitors, specifically the liposterolic extract of Serenoa repens (LSESr) and beta-sitosterol, in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. Subjects: Included in this study were males between the ages of 23 and 64 years of age, in good health, with mild to moderate Androgenetic Alopecia. RESULTS: The results of this pilot study showed a highly positive response to treatment. The blinded investigative staff assessment report showed that 60% of (6/10) study subjects dosed with the active study formulation were rated as improved at the final visit. CONCLUSIONS: This study establishes the effectiveness of naturally occurring 5AR inhibitors against Androgenetic Alopecia for the first time, and justifies the expansion to larger trials.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 12006122 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

le voleur

Reaction score
The effect of Permixon on androgen receptors.

el-Sheikh MM, Dakkak MR, Saddique A.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Permixon, the liposterolic extract of the plant Serenoa Repens is a recently introduced drug for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The effect of Permixon on dihydrotestosterone and testosterone binding by eleven different tissue specimens was tested. The drug reduced the mean uptake of both hormones by 40.9% and 41.9% respectively in all tissue specimens. Since hirsutism and virilism are among other gynecological problems caused either by excessive androgen stimulation or excess endorgan response, we suggest that Permixon could be a useful treatment in such conditions and recommend further investigations of the possible therapeutic values of the drug in gynecological practice.

PMID: 3218455 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Stingray

Reaction score
No no no.. I mean, we already knew that serenoa repens was a DHT blocker :)

Also, you obviously don't know me very well, huh? Low brow is what I do babe ;)

bombscience

Reaction score
I like this post casue it clues me into how effective Saw P is when blocking DHT conversion. When they say "all tissue samples" do you think they meant form all areas of the body? Is 10 people a large enough test group? Finally does anyone have information about how Saw P blocks different alpha-5 than Finasteride? I heard that mentioned her several times.

Stingray

Reaction score
Saw palmetto blocks the actual DHT hormone...not 5AR. It competes for the receptors with DHT. This is why we stress Saw palmetto in conjunction with Finasteride to mop up any excess DHT. I'm taking a break from Saw palmetto for a lil while..possibly a month. I can't believe I downed a whole bottle of that stuff already hehe. But it has been working for me.

bombscience

Reaction score
Stingray said:
Saw palmetto blocks the actual DHT hormone...not 5AR. It competes for the receptors with DHT. This is why we stress Saw palmetto in conjunction with Finasteride to mop up any excess DHT. I'm taking a break from Saw palmetto for a lil while..possibly a month. I can't believe I downed a whole bottle of that stuff already hehe. But it has been working for me.

Yeah I have it in the "not going hurt, might help, watch for side effects" category. I've already downed a whole bottle myself (I take 320mg a day). My tactic is Fina in the morning, and Saw P before bed, just to avoid any emotional side effects Saw P seemed to have 4-6 hours after downing it. Just got another bottle (300 160mg pills) for $7 at costco. That should last me 1/2 a year.

A

Administrator

Le Voleur -

The top study was done by someone standing to make money off of the sales of Saw Palmetto for hair loss. Geno Marcovici is the owner of the well known saw palmetto snake oil called Hair Genesis.

This study was actually pinpointed and publicly ridiculed as being bunk on 20/20 not too long ago because of its whopping 10 person participation.

This topic also belongs in the "Unproven and Experimental Treatments" section, not the general discussions section. We will move it.

HairLossTalk.com Admin

le voleur

Reaction score
Stingray said:
No no no.. I mean, we already knew that serenoa repens was a DHT blocker :)

Also, you obviously don't know me very well, huh? Low brow is what I do babe ;)

Sorry, I'm from alt.baldspot. I've been out for a couple years. Can't believe that guy Ernie and the others clog up the place with useless posts every single day.

Been checking pubmed for any new studies that have come out since around 2001. The last time i was here the message board was the "old fashioned kind".

Anyway, serenoa repens is a receptor blocker, but i believe the fatty acids inhibit 5ar type1 and type 2 to a lesser degree. Then again you can find studies that say just about ANYTHING inhibits 5ar.

I think the key is to inhibit androgen activity as much as possible in the scalp, and for someone to come out with something more potent than 5% minoxidil to stimulate growth. Hoping something will come in the way of beta catenin research, and vegf.

As for saw palmetto, i've just started taking it. I was never much of a believer in it, but i take anything and everything that has anti-androgenic properties.