A Couple Of finasteride Questions Before I Take The Leap...

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I'm 22 and i'm experiencing thinning of my frontal hair as well as temple recession (No crown issues). It is not "aggressive' but i am thinking about starting finasteride.
I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, why do people take 1mg of finasteride a day?
I've read studies that say that taking 1.4mg/week works almost as well as 7mg/week in reducing serum DHT.
So why do people take 1mg a day?

Also, what would you recommended dosage be for someone who has thinning and temple recession but the recession and thinning is not aggressive?
Should i take 0.5mg EOD ? 0.2mg per day?

Also, how important is it to use minoxidil too? Again, my hair loss isn't aggressive so i'm thinking about just taking finasteride at the moment and if it gets worse i'll start minoxidil. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
good questions. I take 1.25mg a day and that is all I have ever taken out of pure convenience and because 1mg is generally the standard dose, its far easier cutting the 5mg pill into 1/4's than 1/5's.

In regards to why people tend to take more than 0.5mg, which is generally the sweet spot, it is most likely out of convenience, however there are many people who do take that much and even less. However, there is also anecdotal evidence floating around on these forums of people seeing better results after bumping their dose upto roughly 1mg a day after being on minimalist doses.

If I were you I would start with 0.5mg a day if you are concerned about taking too much. In regards to minoxidil, its not worth taking IMO unless you are looking for regrowth. You seem to have caught it early so unless you are trying to regrow bald spots there isn't much point taking it although not to say getting extra results isn't out of the question, perhaps some hairs in the frontal region might kick back into gear, in fact that is probably likely for a lot of people, really depends how much you have lost up there. I started on finasteride 2 years ago because of a receding hairline and was happy enough with it that I decided not to use min and I have no intention of using it anytime in the future either.

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you need minix in your regime as it is the regrowth factor....finasteride will only slow down or halt hairloss not grow it back

Leith

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking 0.5 mg of finasteride is the same as taking 1 mg or 1.25 mg. So why take 1 or 1.25 mg when u could save money by taking 0.5 mg which has the same effect as 1 or 1.25 mg? I also advice you to use Finasteride for 6 months and then start with minoxidil 5%, your hair regrowth will be much much faster using both.

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
The logic with the dosing is that 1mg reduces DHT by as much as 0.5mg or even 0.25mg, so in theory you should just keep it simple and take the 1mg as the side effects stemming from lower DHT should be the same. This sounds somewhat plausible. Personally, I would use 0.5mg daily and see if that works for you.