A Completely Hypothetical Question on spironolactone and Body Hair

The Gardener

Reaction score
Well, I went to my hairstylist again for my monthly cut and of course he had another a**h** remark to make to me. After giving me sh*t about my hairloss for a while, and then me starting minoxidil and him now complimenting me on the results, he has now found something new to give me sh*t about... The hair on the back of my neck.

Again on this visit he was impressed at what the minoxidil was doing for me. No, I don't have substantial regrowth, but there is noticeable improvement in the very upper corners of my temples. If you pull my hair back, they are 'rounding out' a bit and looking fantastic. However, when the hair is let back down, it kind of looks the same as the hairs up there on the upper temples are not thick/dense enough to add any new volume to the hairline. But, they are still improving and some of the hairs are getting fairly thick. The real improvement is in the existing hair, over the center forehead. It's growing really thickly and quickly, it was the first thing he noticed and he was nothing short of amazed at it.

Just when the day was really looking encouraging, he pulled off the apron and turned down my collar to do his clean-up job on the back of my neck and he suddenly said hey what the hell! You're a f*****g orangatan! No, luckily it was not my back hair, which luckily seems to be thin and unaffected, but it was the hair on the upper neck. He said he's never seen it so long! It is not thicker than usual, but it is just growing in faster than it used to.

Now, to my question... DHT is the substance that triggers male pattern baldness. But, what triggers the increased growth in neck and body hair that increases inversely as the hair up top decreases? Is it also DHT? And if so, hypothetically, if I were to dab spironolactone on the back of my neck would it potentially have a thinning effect on these hairs? Just wondering.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what an a**h**.

Stingray

Reaction score
You are correct. DHT, all too spitefully, is the culprit in both scalp hair loss and body hair growth. Hypothetically, inhibiting DHT in areas of body hair could cause thinning and loss of body hair also. Try it and tell us how it works.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Matgallis said:
what an a**h**.

Well, he's really not that bad. I've written postings about him before, he's a pretty good friend and he's taken good care of my hair for a long time. I'll try to summarize my previous postings in a nutshell... He does good cuts to minimize the thinning and he's pretty entertaining. I would highly recommend him to any of you male pattern baldness sufferers who are in the LA area and looking for a good haircut from someone who knows how to cut hair to minimize the thinning, he knows his sh*t. But, he does get sarcastic about the hairloss, but he is just kidding around and I usually laugh at it. It's a complicated relationship, but I trust him. The guy is as queer as a three dollar bill, and always puts up a half assed fake-anger thing when I bring up the subject. He can talk shop and football like a man, but has the mind of a woman and has helped me countless times with great advice in my dealings with the ladies. He has helped me a LOT in deciphering what makes women tick. His only problem is that in the midst of being supportive, he is so honest as to forget to be tactful.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Stingray said:
You are correct. DHT, all too spitefully, is the culprit in both scalp hair loss and body hair growth. Hypothetically, inhibiting DHT in areas of body hair could cause thinning and loss of body hair also. Try it and tell us how it works.

Hehe... nah. I like my body hair. But, I do find it interesting that the same chemical (DHT) applied to follicles in two areas of the body would create completely contradictory results?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd guess its the minoxidil that is having that effect. Its certainly has had that effect on me and plenty of other users here in this forum. All my hair grows longer now.. from head to toe. Cant say I like it but its definitly worth the trade off.

The Gardener

Reaction score
flux said:
I'd guess its the minoxidil that is having that effect. Its certainly has had that effect on me and plenty of other users here in this forum. All my hair grows longer now.. from head to toe. Cant say I like it but its definitly worth the trade off.

Yeah, that is kind of what I had deduced as well. male pattern baldness is so complicated, as are the treatments. DHT adds hair to the body and takes hair away from the scalp. Finasteride adds hair on the scalp and takes hair away from the body, but has a detrimental effect on virility for some. minoxidil adds hair to the scalp, but also adds hair to the body, but has been shown, hypothetically, to add virility to the penis. spironolactone adds hair to the head, and can take away hair from the eyebrows, etc, but smells like pussy.

When are they ever going to come out with a treatment that, when taken orally, is genetically programmed to bind itself to DHT receptors on hair cells only so as to displace the DHT and leave the rest of the anatomy intact? If they could only figure this out, they could cure male pattern baldness as well as excess body hair from ageing all in one wallop. You would think that in this era of genetic engineering this would be a prime area of study? I'd be willing to invest, even be a guinea pig for such a study.