A compiled list of treatments that don't work/companies that let us down.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Here's what I found:

Things that don't work/companies that have let us down:

Aderans
Intercytex
Cotsarelis
HASCI
Nigam
Nioxin
L'oreal kerastase
Vichy neogenic
Histogen
Acell/PRP
trx2
Viviscal
Laser comb/helmet
Piloxll
Bimatoprost
Revivogen
Saw Palmetto
Etc.

Things that work/companies that have helped us:

5AR Inhibitors (goodbye sweet breadstick)
Minoxidil

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
Things that work:

-Finastiride
-Minoxidil
-Revita Shampoo
-Biotin (better hair quality, slower hair loss?)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
To add to the above lists of treatments that DO work:

Finasteride
Dutasteride
RU58841
Spironolacetone (a less effective androgen receptor site blocker, better than nothing, worse than finasteride, dutasteride and RU)
for prevention of any further hair loss/follicle damage

Minoxidil for regrowth (doesn't fight the cause of hair loss, on it's own it might buy you a year or two before things get worse again

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Lol @ spironolactone being a safe effective treatment. Might as well order makeup and a dress while you're at it.

RU has no clinical studies that show its effective. In fact, I should add it to the useless list.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical spironolactone is safe. but not as effective as oral spironolactone which isn't safe or finasteride which is pretty safe and more effective, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that RU is effective, including some sources I consider reasonably trustworthy

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol @ spironolactone being a safe effective treatment. Might as well order makeup and a dress while you're at it.

RU has no clinical studies that show its effective. In fact, I should add it to the useless list.

spironolactone is extremely safe when applied locally.

RU has enough anecdotes to write it off as clearly effective.

Edit: ^ Wtf wizard!!

resu

Reaction score
Spironolactone has zero anecdotal evidence, only transsexual individuals had regrowth and it was probably because of the various estrogen supplements.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
One of the first snake oils I tried was a product called Procerin. It was garbage, and they are still selling it.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
spironolactone is extremely safe when applied locally.

It's also extremely useless.

RU has enough anecdotes to write it off as clearly effective.

RU itself may be useful but just like CB, no one knows a correct vehicle so that renders RU and CB useless too.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
oral spironolactone very effective

put it on list that works

obviously at a potentially great cost

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Spironolactone has zero anecdotal evidence, only transsexual individuals had regrowth and it was probably because of the various estrogen supplements.

It's also extremely useless.

RU itself may be useful but just like CB, no one knows a correct vehicle so that renders RU and CB useless too.

Spironolactone is the most powerful hair loss treatment I can think of at the moment.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Topical spironolactone is useless.

Oral works but who wants to risk it ? It makes dutasteride look like candy.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Topical spironolactone is useless.

Oral works but who wants to risk it ? It makes dutasteride look like candy.

I wouldn't say 'useless', but I don't know how effective it is.

It certainly works as a topical anti-androgen though.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
It certainly works as a topical anti-androgen though.

Do you have any links or studies to back that up ?

Actually I don't really give a sh1t to be honest. Not sure what I'm trying to accomplish.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
what is DHT inhibition of oral spironolactone? Say like 100mg or 150mg

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have any links or studies to back that up ?

Actually I don't really give a sh1t to be honest. Not sure what I'm trying to accomplish.

Plenty of studies on Acne Vulgaris, which is basically the same thing as male pattern baldness. It's anti-androgenic effects when applied locally are well documented. Although I'm not a fan for the hassle of topicals in general.

Study 1: This effect is related to the binding of spironolactone with dihydrotestosterone receptors in the sebaceous glands. Our study demonstrates that 5% topical spironolactone cream acts as an antiandrogen in human sebaceous glands, competing with DHT receptors and producing a decrease of labelled DHT. At the concentrations used the effect has been only local. No side-effects were recorded.

Study 2: The authors report their clinical experience with topical treatment of seborrheic acne with a 5% spironolactone cream in 20 patients, 11 males and 9 females aged 12 to 28 years (average 20.5). Treatment duration, about one month. Treatment proved remarkably effective in that it brought about complete regression of acne in 30%, improvement in 65% of the patients. The drug was always well tolerated, side effects were never observed.

Study 3:Topical spironolactone 5% gel applied to the right cheeks of the subjects produced a significant reduction in the sebum secretion rates at 12 week

what is DHT inhibition of oral spironolactone? Say like 100mg or 150mg

spironolactone does not inhibit DHT, it antagonizes your androgen receptors. So even though you have roughly the same amount of androgens floating around in your body (not practically what happens), you experience the effects of castration. Basically, your androgenic hormones are useless if they cannot bind to tissue.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
-1 for Procerin as well. This stuff made my hair loss worse + thinned my hair tremendously in just 10 days. One may ask "how can you have more thinning in JUST 10 DAYS?" Just try the supplement/spray if you don't believe me. Also, Hairomega and Ultrax Labs Shampoo accelerated hair loss as well.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone does not inhibit DHT, it antagonizes your androgen receptors. So even though you have roughly the same amount of androgens floating around in your body (not practically what happens), you experience the effects of castration. Basically, your androgenic hormones are useless if they cannot bind to tissue.

brutal