A Closer Look At: SHBG & Metabolic Clearance.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: A Closer Look At: S.H.B.G. & Metabolic Clearance.

misterE said:
Todd said:
misterE said:

In this post, your picture clearly describes how a reduction of SHBG increases free testosterone and estrogenes, and increses prostate growth.

Yes. Testosterone is a prohormone. The only way for testosterone to be called “testosteroneâ€￾ is if it is bound to S.H.B.G.

A simple wikipedia search will prove you wrong.
Testosterone is not a prohormone. Just becuase DHT have higher affinity for the AR (in SOME tissues, mind you) and it's made by katalyzing the reduction of testosterone, does not mean testosterone is a prohormone.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

Testosterone is a prohormone because it converts into either: Estradiol, D.H.T., androstenedione or etiocholanolone. That clearly makes it a prohormone.

If testosterone is bound to S.H.B.G. it cannot be converted into any of the other four hormones.

S.H.B.G. preserves testosterone as testosterone.

Attachments

• testosterone.gif
    testosterone.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 962

thomas040

Established Member
Reaction score

I skimmed through these posts, and they seem very scientific...
can you mister E just in PLAIN ENGLISH tell me what I should do....

eat more of something... exercise more...?
And explain in PLAIN ENGLISH.... how things has changed?

IE: This changes everything?

Thanks so much for your passionate research.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

thomas040 said:

1. Don't consume meat or dairy of any kind.
2. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
3. Eat lots of fiber containing foods.
4. Make sure your diet is centered on starch and low in fat.
5. Exercise.
6. Drink only water, green tea, or red wine (in moderation).
7. Take beta-sitosterol.
8. Wash hair with nizoral shampoo.
9. Decrease your risk for atherosclerosis.

I believe that diet is the main cause of baldness, just like diet is the main cause of acne. In fact, you can draw perfect parallels between acne and baldness. Male pattern baldness is caused by enlarged sebaceous glands.

Dairy is notorious for causing acne, because it has D.H.T. precursors in it (5-androstanedione and 5-pregnanedione), loaded with cholesterol and saturated fat not to mention the main protein in milk; called casein, stimulates IGF-1, which enlarges the sebaceous glands (and the prostate)!

The protein in meat is very acidic, so in order for your body to neutralize the acid...it sucks calcium from your bones. The protein in meat also stimulates IGF-1 which decreases S.H.B.G. leaving a large amount of "free" testosterone...This "free" testosterone is able to travel to the hair and then converts to D.H.T. once it comes in contact with alpha-5-reductase enzymes located in the sebaceous glands!

A low-fat/high fiber starch based vegan diet rich in fruit and vegetables is recommended...just like the type of diet other countries eat...the kind of countries that do not go bald... like rural China, Peru, New Guinea, Mexico, and India.

China eats mostly rice. Peru eats mostly potatoes. New guinea eats mostly sweet potatoes. Mexico eats mostly beans and rice. And India eats mostly garbanzo beans. U.S.A. eats mostly cheeseburgers.

abcdv12

Reaction score

misterE said:
thomas040 said:

1. Don't consume meat or dairy of any kind.
2. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
3. Eat lots of fiber containing foods.
4. Make sure your diet is centered on starch and low in fat.
5. Exercise.
6. Drink only water, green tea, or red wine (in moderation).
7. Take beta-sitosterol.
8. Wash hair with nizoral shampoo.
9. Decrease your risk for atherosclerosis.

I believe that diet is the main cause of baldness, just like diet is the main cause of acne. In fact, you can draw perfect parallels between acne and baldness. Male pattern baldness is caused by enlarged sebaceous glands.

Dairy is notorious for causing acne, because it has D.H.T. precursors in it (5-androstanedione and 5-pregnanedione), loaded with cholesterol and saturated fat not to mention the main protein in milk; called casein, stimulates IGF-1, which enlarges the sebaceous glands (and the prostate)!

The protein in meat is very acidic, so in order for your body to neutralize the acid...it sucks calcium from your bones. The protein in meat also stimulates IGF-1 which decreases S.H.B.G. leaving a large amount of "free" testosterone...This "free" testosterone is able to travel to the hair and then converts to D.H.T. once it comes in contact with alpha-5-reductase enzymes located in the sebaceous glands!

A low-fat/high fiber starch based vegan diet rich in fruit and vegetables is recommended...just like the type of diet other countries eat...the kind of countries that do not go bald... like rural China, Peru, New Guinea, Mexico, and India.

China eats mostly rice. Peru eats mostly potatoes. New guinea eats mostly sweet potatoes. Mexico eats mostly beans and rice. And India eats mostly garbanzo beans. U.S.A. eats mostly cheeseburgers.

MisterE
People in india goes bald at more or less the same rate as in western countries.
Indian diet mostly based on wheat and rice.
And also your comments on dairy

yogurt is very good for you to lower cholestorol and other intestien health.
You may want to reconsider your opinion on dairy.
Dairy has been an integral part of indian diet for thousands of years.
It may be true, that vegetarians in india may do little better compare to
non vegetarians, but not by much. (one caveat dairy makes up significant part
of vegetarians diet in india, they are not vegans).

bye

abcdv12

Reaction score

abcdv12 said:
It may be true, that vegetarians in india may do little better compare to
non vegetarians, but not by much. (one caveat dairy makes up significant part
of vegetarians diet in india, they are not vegans).

bye

I mean to say , they do little better, when it comes to going bald,
but not a whole lot.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

abcdv12 said:
People in india goes bald at more or less the same rate as in western countries.
Dairy has been an integral part of indian diet for thousands of years.

If this is so, maybe Indians bald because they do consume dairy.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm following the diet of the "40 steps to completely reverse male pattern baldness" the misterE and my hair is EXCELLENT, I believe that helping my health also :)

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

dpdr said:
I'm following the diet of the "40 steps to completely reverse male pattern baldness" the misterE and my hair is EXCELLENT, I believe that helping my health also :)

Wow! This makes me feel really good! I'm so glad that I was able to help your hair and health.

40 steps to completely reverse M.P.B.
: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=54405&p=521322#p521322

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score

1) IGF-1 for a fact helps you grow hair, you need to better understand hGH and IGF-1, with out it you have no new cells to grow new hair from
2) How do you propose to stop the testosterone from being stopped or knocked out of the SHBG along with DHT and Estrogen?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

purecontrol said:
1) IGF-1 for a fact helps you grow hair, you need to better understand hGH and IGF-1, with out it you have no new cells to grow new hair from

I guess we have to agree to disagree when it comes to IGF-1. Once again IGF-1 decreases S.H.B.G.(1) and is shown to correlate with baldness (2) (3).

(1) (Kaaks and Lukanova, 2001; Cordain et al 2003)
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10827403

(3) Hormones and hair patterning in men: A role for insulin-like growth factor 1?

Lisa B. Signorelloa, Joanne Wuub, Chung-cheng Hsiehb, Anastasia Tzonouc, Dimitrios Trichopoulosa, Christos S. Mantzorosd

Accepted 2 November 1998.

Abstract
Background: Androgens are important in hair growth and patterning, whereas growth hormone substitution enhances their effect in growth hormone–deficient men. No previous study has jointly evaluated the function of sex steroids, sex hormone–binding globulin (SHBG), and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) in determining hair patterning in men. Objective: We assessed the relationship between circulating hormone measurements and both head and chest hair patterning in a sample of elderly men. Methods: Fifty-one apparently healthy men older than 65 years of age were studied cross-sectionally. Head and chest hair patterning was assessed by a trained interviewer. Morning blood samples from all subjects were used for measurements of testosterone, estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, SHBG, and IGF-1. Results: Results were obtained from logistic regression models, adjusting simultaneously for all the measured hormones and age. Men with higher levels of testosterone were more likely to have vertex baldness (odds ratio [OR] = 2.5, 95% confidence interval [CI: 0.9 to 7.8] per 194 ng/dL increment of testosterone). In addition, for each 59 ng/mL increase in IGF-1, the odds of having vertex baldness doubled (95% CI [1.0 to 4.6]). Those who were found to have higher circulating levels of SHBG were less likely to have dense hair on their chest (OR = 0.4, 95% CI [0.1 to 0.9] per 24 nmol/L increment in SHBG]). Conclusion: Testosterone, SHBG, and IGF-1 may be important in determining hair patterning in men. (J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;40:200-3.)

purecontrol said:
2) How do you propose to stop the testosterone from being stopped or knocked out of the SHBG along with DHT and Estrogen?

With beta-sitosterol. We should all know by now that beta-sitosterol is the active ingrediant in saw palmetto (serenoa repens).

Permixon, the liposterolic extract of the plant Serenoa Repens is a recently introduced drug for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The effect of Permixon on dihydrotestosterone and testosterone binding by eleven different tissue specimens was tested. The drug reduced the mean uptake of both hormones by 40.9% and 41.9% respectively in all tissue specimens. Since hirsutism and virilism are among other gynecological problems caused either by excessive androgen stimulation or excess endorgan response, we suggest that Permixon could be a useful treatment in such conditions and recommend further investigations of the possible therapeutic values of the drug in gynecological practice.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10 ... 8809004247

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

In vitro influence of plasma steroid-binding proteins on androgen metabolism in human leukocytes.

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Henri Déchaud, a, , Raymond Goujona, Francine Claustrata, Michel Boucherata and Michel Pugeatb, c

a Hospices Civils de Lyon: Laboratoire Central de Biochimie Hôpital de l'Antiquaille, Lyon, France

b Hospices Civils de Lyon: Laboratoire de la Clinique Endocrinologique, Hôpital de l'Antiquaille, Lyon, France

c INSERM U329, Hôpital Debrousse, Lyon, France

Received 12 June 1994; accepted 19 August 1994. Available online 5 April 2000.

Abstract
The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of plasma steroid-binding proteins on androgen metabolism in intact leukocytes prepared from normal male and female blood samples. Leukocyte preparations were incubated for 24 h at 37°C with either labeled or unlabeled testosterone (T), 5?-dihydrotestosterone (5?-DHT), and androstenedione (A). After extraction, the formed labeled metabolites were first identified by high performance liquid chromatography, then, using unlabeled substrates, metabolite concentrations were measured by specific radioimmunoassays. The conversion ratios of substrate to metabolite were calculated for each preparation using either labeled or unlabeled substrates. In the absence of steroid-binding proteins, the mean conversion ratios of T to A, A to T, T to 5?-DHT, and 5?-DHT to 3?-androstanediol (3?-D) were, in males and females, respectively, 5.6% and 6.1% (n = 11), 5.6% and 5.6% (n = 5), 2.8% and 2.2% (n = 11), 43.1% and 40.0% (n = 5), these sex differences being non-significant. The presence of increasing amounts of plasma, purified albumin or sex hormone binding-globulin (SHBG) in the incubation media reduced metabolite formation dose-dependently. However, a 1000-fold greater concentration of albumin than of SHBG was necessary for 50% inhibition of androgen metabolism by leukocytes, showing SHBG to have the main protective effect. Moreover, in the presence of various concentrations of T or 5?-DHT, and of albumin or SHBG, metabolite formation was positively and highly significantly correlated with the concentration of protein-unbound (free) substrate measured by equilibrium dialysis (r = 0.964 for conversion of T to A and r = 0.998 for conversion of 5?-DHT to 3?-D) but weakly correlated with total substrate concentration (r = 0.375 for total T and r = 0.669 for total 5?-DHT). Additionally, leukocyte metabolism of 5?-DHT was significantly enhanced when free 5?-DHT levels increased in the presence of 17?-estradiol (which displaced 5?-DHT from the SHBG-binding sites). We conclude that the metabolism of androgens by human leukocytes is mainly regulated by SHBG level, in both men and women. Although the rate of androgen metabolism by leukocytes was not determined in this study, reduced serum SHBG levels with unchanged albumin levels or drugs capable of displacing androgens from serum SHBG can be expected to increase androgen metabolism in human leukocytes.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score

misterE said:
purecontrol said:

I guess we have to agree to disagree when it comes to IGF-1. Once again IGF-1 decreases S.H.B.G.(1) and is shown to correlate with baldness (2) (3).

(1) (Kaaks and Lukanova, 2001; Cordain et al 2003)
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10827403

(3) Hormones and hair patterning in men: A role for insulin-like growth factor 1?

Lisa B. Signorelloa, Joanne Wuub, Chung-cheng Hsiehb, Anastasia Tzonouc, Dimitrios Trichopoulosa, Christos S. Mantzorosd

Accepted 2 November 1998.

Abstract
Background: Androgens are important in hair growth and patterning, whereas growth hormone substitution enhances their effect in growth hormone–deficient men. No previous study has jointly evaluated the function of sex steroids, sex hormone–binding globulin (SHBG), and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) in determining hair patterning in men. Objective: We assessed the relationship between circulating hormone measurements and both head and chest hair patterning in a sample of elderly men. Methods: Fifty-one apparently healthy men older than 65 years of age were studied cross-sectionally. Head and chest hair patterning was assessed by a trained interviewer. Morning blood samples from all subjects were used for measurements of testosterone, estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, SHBG, and IGF-1. Results: Results were obtained from logistic regression models, adjusting simultaneously for all the measured hormones and age. Men with higher levels of testosterone were more likely to have vertex baldness (odds ratio [OR] = 2.5, 95% confidence interval [CI: 0.9 to 7.8] per 194 ng/dL increment of testosterone). In addition, for each 59 ng/mL increase in IGF-1, the odds of having vertex baldness doubled (95% CI [1.0 to 4.6]). Those who were found to have higher circulating levels of SHBG were less likely to have dense hair on their chest (OR = 0.4, 95% CI [0.1 to 0.9] per 24 nmol/L increment in SHBG]). Conclusion: Testosterone, SHBG, and IGF-1 may be important in determining hair patterning in men. (J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;40:200-3.)

purecontrol said:

With beta-sitosterol. We should all know by now that beta-sitosterol is the active ingrediant in saw palmetto (serenoa repens).

Permixon, the liposterolic extract of the plant Serenoa Repens is a recently introduced drug for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The effect of Permixon on dihydrotestosterone and testosterone binding by eleven different tissue specimens was tested. The drug reduced the mean uptake of both hormones by 40.9% and 41.9% respectively in all tissue specimens. Since hirsutism and virilism are among other gynecological problems caused either by excessive androgen stimulation or excess endorgan response, we suggest that Permixon could be a useful treatment in such conditions and recommend further investigations of the possible therapeutic values of the drug in gynecological practice.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10 ... 8809004247

#1 How is it possible for the Beta-S to know the difference between DHT and Test or even Estrogen for that matter.

#2 Just so it is perfectly clear to everyone; Its primary action is mediated by binding to its specific receptor, the Insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor, abbreviated as ""IGF1R"", present on many cell types in many tissues. Binding to the IGF1R, a receptor tyrosine kinase, initiates intracellular signaling; IGF-1 is one of the most potent natural activators of the AKT signaling pathway, a stimulator of cell growth and proliferation, and a potent inhibitor of programmed cell death.

If you have no IGF-1 = no new cells and = you are dead! You renew cells all the time, that is how new hair pop up.

So no IGF-1 no new hairs.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

If IGF-1 grew hair, then Americans would never go bald because we eat a high protein diet... a very high animal-protein diet compared to other countries that do not go bald. Protein stimulates IGF-1 and decreases S.H.B.G.

IGF-1 is a potent inhibitor of programmed cell death, this is true, but that is why it also causes tumors (prostate, breast, colon).

When either estradiol or D.H.T. binds to S.H.B.G. it creates IGF-1.

IGF-1 stimulates the sebaceous glands to grow, but then you will have an increase in sebum, which clogs the hair follicles. A bacterium then begins to eat the clogged sebum. Your immune system picks up on the bacteria and creates inflammation to kill the bacteria, which it does, but unfortunately it kills the hair as well. The hair does grow back. But often times miniaturized because it can only grow as thick as the clogged pore it’s growing from.

Look at the areas you’re balding at. Notice a nice shine. Now look a bit closer and you will see that there is still very tiny hairs’ growing. These tiny hairs are being chocked by excess sebum.

Removing and preventing sebum, seems to be the answer. I have noticed that when I cut meat and dairy and excess fats and oils out from my diet, sebum activity was nearly halted, but I still had "the shine"... so I use nizoral shampoo and T-sal shampoo to try and remove the sebum deposits and unclog the clogged follicles.

By the way, beta-sitosterol doesn't know the difference between the two (D.H.T. & testosterone)... that is what the Permixon study showed. But ketoconazol somehow does. Therefore using ketoconazole shampoo is vital to any hair loss regimen, and in my opinion can make or brake good results.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score

Interesting Mr E, ;)
but you have to explain why exist unclogedd hairs even with increased sebum rate, maybe mysterious genetical ways?

Armando

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

armandein said:
Interesting Mr E, ;)
but you have to explain why exist unclogedd hairs even with increased sebum rate, maybe mysterious genetical ways?

Armando

I'm sorry...I don't understand the full context of your question.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score

misterE said:

IGF-1 stimulates the sebaceous glands to grow, but then you will have an increase in sebum, which clogs the hair follicles. A bacterium then begins to eat the clogged sebum. Your immune system picks up on the bacteria and creates inflammation to kill the bacteria, which it does, but unfortunately it kills the hair as well. The hair does grow back. But often times miniaturized because it can only grow as thick as the clogged pore it’s growing from.

why IGF-1 stimulates, only certains hairs as seen in Androgenetic Alopecia, the sebaceous glands to grow?
Armando

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

My guess would be IGF-1 stimulates body hair to grow, just like it stimulates everything else to grow. IGF-1 also is known to inhibit the catagen and telogen phases of hair growth, telogen is best known as the "regeneration phase". But, if it inhibits catagen and telogen on hair (on the scalp) that is already grown, they "die" because the scalp hair cannot go into telogen phase, therefore cannot regenerate new follicles.

IGF-1 acts like an aging regulator. The more IGF-1 in your body, the faster you age. Things known to decrease IGF-1 is anti-aging such as green tea, which is known to lower IGF-1, phytoestrogens lower IGF-1, low protein diet lowers IGF-1, also vegans have 9% lower IGF-1 levels compared to people eating the rich western diet. Dairy increases IGF-1, animal protein increases IGF-1, saturated fat increases IGF-1, and large insulin spikes (from refined sugar) increases it.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank Mr E for your effort but my question was related at the "supossed" different hairs over the head, not in the body. The diet must acts equally at all scalp hairs.
Body hair is another issue ;)

BTW, do you know if is increased IGF-1 in women in eldery?
TIA
Armando

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

armandein said:
Thank Mr E for your effort but my question was related at the "supossed" different hairs over the head, not in the body. The diet must acts equally at all scalp hairs.
Body hair is another issue ;)

BTW, do you know if is increased IGF-1 in women in eldery?
TIA
Armando

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood your question do to your broken english. You must be referring to the hair around the sides of the head also known as the infamous "horse-shoe" pattern.

I believe the hair on the sides of the head are still able to grow because there is plenty of blood supply to this area, while the hair on the top of the noggin is clogged by sebum.

Attachments

• image13.jpg
    image13.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 225