A bit of advice needed please :):)

manchester_83

Reaction score
Hi,

I am 21 and started loosing my hair around the sides of my hairline so it is no longer straight anymore. It isn't really that bad at the moment but hair loss does run in the family so I thought it best to tackle the problem now. After reading the site I have a few questions :)

1. I have just bought some Proscar and is it reccomended to to take half every other day or a quater everyday?

2. I am thinking of buying some Regaine and was wondering if Kirkland is just as good as it is a bit cheaper in the UK on ebay than Regain. Also where abouts do I put the stuff? Just on the areas where the hair is thinning at the side of my hairline? Also what dose is reccomended 2 x 2% a day or 2 x 5% a day?

3. Is the Nizrol they sell in local chemists always the 2% stuff and is that reccomended to be used twice a week?

Sorry for the essay guys and thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks
Dan :):)

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
Take every day 1/4 or 1/5 a proscar pill.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Take either 1/4th or 1/5th of the proscar pill per day. I use 1/4 because its a lot easier and I tolerate it extremely well. If you are male, then twice per day w/5% is recommended. Use the stuff where you are balding/thinning, or where your hairline used to be if you wish. Look at the bottle of the nizoral and see what it says to determine what the percentage of composition is. In the US, only 1% is available over the counter. I think in England, they have 1 or 2% availble in the drug store (chemist.) Start off with 1% for the mean while. Good luck brother!

manchester_83

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, this has really been getting me down recently and finding this website has given me a ray of hope :). So am I right in thinking if the pharmacy tommorow has both the 1% and 2% shampoo I should go for the 1%?

Thanks again :)

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
If it has both; I'd recommend you to go for the 2%. At least I've come to understand that it is the 2%-version that has been regarded as the more effective.

But you might want to wait for answers from someone who knows more.

G

manchester_83 said:
1. I have just bought some Proscar and is it reccomended to to take half every other day or a quater everyday?

The recommended dose for male pattern baldness is 1mg a day, I, like many here, take 1.25mg a day (one piece of a quartered 5mg Proscar) for the convenience of only having to chop the odd shaped pill into four.

manchester_83 said:
2. I am thinking of buying some Regaine and was wondering if Kirkland is just as good as it is a bit cheaper in the UK on ebay than Regain.

The Kirkland is as good as Regaine, the current rumour is that Kirkland is made by the same folk that make Regaine/Rogaine.

I am in the UK too and used Regaine from my local chemist for 15 months before swithing to Dr Lee's formula. Regaine (and Kirkland) can take two or three hours to dry and is rather greasy. Dr Lee's minoxidil drys in around 10 minutes and with the currently weak dollar can be bought for £8.90/65ml as opposed to the £29.99/60ml UK retail price for Regaine.

Dr Lee's hopelessly designed website: https://www.xandrox.com/

manchester_83 said:
Also where abouts do I put the stuff? Just on the areas where the hair is thinning at the side of my hairline?

Firsty, as I am sure you are aware, the minoxidil (Regaine) needs to go on your scalp, it will have no effect if it is sitting on your hair. Apply the minoxidil where you need hair to grow, so yes it will be the thinning parts of your head. Minoxildil does spread a little under the skin surface so you don't have to be surgically accurate with this stuff, just get it in the right area.

manchester_83 said:
Also what dose is reccomended 2 x 2% a day or 2 x 5% a day?

I personally would not bother with 2% and go straight for the 5% twice a day.

manchester_83 said:
3. Is the Nizrol they sell in local chemists always the 2% stuff and is that reccomended to be used twice a week?

I have only ever seen 2% in the UK.

The 2% Nizoral is available over the counter in most local chemists and places like boots. This is the stuff you want.

ehero4cw.jpg

manchester_83 said:
Sorry for the essay guys and thanks for any help in advance.

Your thanks have been received and are being processed.

Receding_Boy

Reaction score
if you have lost little hair in the frontal hairline, you may want to consider not using minoxidil at this stage. you may start to shed (you can shed from propecia too, but it may stop further loss).

minoxidil to regrow, propecia to maintain - in general. some people report growth with Propecia too, but that is what is generally the case.