A Bald Statement – Current Approaches To Manipulate Miniaturisation Focus Only On Promoting Hair Gro

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

A Bald Statement – Current Approaches to Manipulate Miniaturisation Focus only on Promoting Hair Growth

Nikolaos Pantelireis, Claire A Higgins

Abstract:
Hair plays a large part in communication and society with its role changing through time and across cultures. Most people don't leave the house before combing their hair or shaving their beard and for many hair loss or irregular hair growth can have a significant impact on their psychological health. Somewhat unsurprisingly, according to GMR Data today's global hair care industry is worth an estimated $87 Billion in 2018, with hair loss estimated at $2.8 Billion. Considering that no current hair loss related products can completely reverse hair loss, it is reasonable to believe this market could expand significantly with the discovery of a comprehensive therapy. As such, a great deal of research focuses on overcoming hair loss, and in particular, a common form of hair loss known as Androgenetic Alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) or male pattern baldness. In Androgenetic Alopecia hair follicles miniaturise in a large step change from a terminal to a vellus state. Within this viewpoint article, we discuss how influx and efflux of cells into and out from the dermal papilla can modulate dermal papilla size during the hair cycle. As dermal papilla size is positively correlated with the size of the hair fibre produced by a follicle, we argue here that therapies for treating Androgenetic Alopecia should be developed which can alter dermal papilla size, rather than just promote hair growth. We also discuss current therapeutics for Androgenetic Alopecia, and emphasize the importance of using the right model systems to analyse miniaturisation.

Full text attached.

Attachments

• 10.1111@exd.13690.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 265

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Many thanks for the full text.
According to the authors, the key to miniaturisation reversal is the influx of DP cells generated from hfDSCs.
Replicel's RCH-01 injections do increase the number of Sheath Cup (SC) dp cells.
Also, Tsuji has successfully amplified DP stem cells in great numbers.
Hmmm...

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Many thanks for the full text.
According to the authors, the key to miniaturisation reversal is the influx of DP cells generated from hfDSCs.
Replicel's RCH-01 injections do increase the number of Sheath Cup (SC) dp cells.

Right, though there's still the problem of converting the hfDSCs to DPCs - Wnt is the primary signal that does this. Highly miniaturized follicles probably don't generate the right signals to bring in many new DPCs.

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, though there's still the problem of converting the hfDSCs to DPCs - Wnt is the primary signal that does this. Highly miniaturized follicles probably don't generate the right signals to bring in many new DPCs.
I thought progenitor dp cells were the ones to activate the Wnt signal, aka hfDSCs.
Wouldn't cultivating DHT-resistant progenitor dp cells and then injecting them into the scalp help with reviving the miniaturized dermal papillae (they exist in 90% of Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers, according to the authors), aka getting the required influx of dp cells?

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought progenitor dp cells were the ones to activate the Wnt signal, aka hfDSCs.

In early anagen -- when hfDSCs migrate into the dermal papilla -- it's epithelial cells (secondary germ cells and later matrix cells) that produce Wnts. Also, the dermal papilla secretes R-spondins which amplify Wnt signaling in hfDSCs. So the hfDSCs respond to these signals, but don't produce them.

Wouldn't cultivating DHT-resistant progenitor dp cells and then injecting them into the scalp help with reviving the miniaturized dermal papillae (they exist in 90% of Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers, according to the authors), aka getting the required influx of dp cells?

They could help...as long as they first migrate to the dermal sheath of miniaturized follicles (I don't know how well they do that for badly miniaturized follicles?), survive, and then receive the appropriate signals (which are lacking in those miniaturized follicles). Probably you would need to help them do these things. Of course, if you could do all that and get them to replace the DHT-sensitive cells that would be especially nice. :cool:

Hate da Bt

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In early anagen -- when hfDSCs migrate into the dermal papilla -- it's epithelial cells (secondary germ cells and later matrix cells) that produce Wnts. Also, the dermal papilla secretes R-spondins which amplify Wnt signaling in hfDSCs. So the hfDSCs respond to these signals, but don't produce them.

They could help...as long as they first migrate to the dermal sheath of miniaturized follicles (I don't know how well they do that for badly miniaturized follicles?), survive, and then receive the appropriate signals (which are lacking in those miniaturized follicles). Probably you would need to help them do these things. Of course, if you could do all that and get them to replace the DHT-sensitive cells that would be especially nice. :cool:
Really interesting.
Even if it's epithelial cells the ones which produce Wnts, there has to be substance interaction between dp and epithelial cells that leads to wnt production.
Injected dp progenitor cells should interact with epithelial cells leading to Wnt production, shouldn't they?

Last edited:

baldingAF

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what do we have now that can increase DPCs and maybe even expression or activity or R-Spondins?

It’s clear R-Spondins had a part but last I looked about a year ago there was not way to increase that activity, only to antagonize the thing that was inhibiting them.

In terms of DPCs didn’t the Zinc-Thymulin study posted a few days ago here increase those numbers in vitro?

Can anyone thing of anything else? At least that’s out now and not a surgery? I’m really just talking about topicals

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
With Andro Alopecia, there is also the degeneration of arrectus pili muscles into fat. It is suspected that this muscle (which surround every hair follicle unit) has an important role in the communication cycle, though it is unclear if it triggers miniaturization or adds to the chain of issues.

Perhaps looking into how to maintain arrectus pili muscles could be of interest as well.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, it's fantastic that they are like "people are going about this the wrong way" and suggest what needs to be done.

But it still feels like preaching to the choir.

because at the same time it's like: Do you have a method you're working on to actually achieve this thing?

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, it's fantastic that they are like "people are going about this the wrong way" and suggest what needs to be done.

But it still feels like preaching to the choir.

because at the same time it's like: Do you have a method you're working on to actually achieve this thing?

If I wanted to test to see that my minoxidil is legit and is the right concentration that I wanted, what would I have to do? Send it to a lab?

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Congratulations! You reached a conclusion that could and should have been reached back in like 2005! Oh the progress!!!

Thanks for the article anyway inb4

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Conclusion ...
Our viewpoint is that an ideal therapy for Androgenetic Alopecia is one which can
promote influx into the DP from the hfDSCs, resulting in DP enlargement and a step change reversal
of miniaturisation.

Apparently Claire Higgins believes Replicel/Shiseido's approach is a good bet.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the paper, it is interesting read about efflux and influx of cells migrating ......
But, no mention to any hardened sebum in this located area..... no plugs avoiding the migration ?