A 21years Old Man In The Dark Path Of Balding

AlexanderTheGreat

My Regimen
Reaction score
It all began 4 years ago, during my final school year (The good old days). My best friend noticed a small thinnin spot on the back of my head. I didn't give it much of a thought back then, because i could cover it up. Soon, I could notice hair falling while using a brush or towel drying. I payed a visit to a dermatologist, which led to a lotion prescription. To cut a long story short it couldn't hult hair loss. At the moment, I decided to just accept it. Fast forward approximately 3 years after. My hair getting worse day after day. A bad decision to buzz cut my hair resulted in isolating myself inside the house for over a month. During that period, I discovered all about the hair loss community. It was my summer vacations locked up in my house. The next cemester in the university was approaching, so I started using toppik in order to get off the house. It makes my hair decent looking, but it takes quite some time to fix it properly and costs me serious money. It also makes me nervous that someone might notice. These days I get off the house only to go to the super market. I skip classes and try to study from home. I'm really not in the mood to do anything. My friends are starting to get worried, but I reassure them that I'm fine and just bored of going to classes. Maybe it was wrong to use toppik , cause it would seem suspicious shaving my head now. My head shape is fine, but i have long a neck and a pale colour, which make weird and ill looking. I am also tall (192cm) and thin (78kg), so it adds up to the sick look. I just cannot accept it, being so young and hit by that disfiguring disease. ( yes it is a f*ck*ng disease) Being surrounded by people with heads full of hair makes me even sadder. I have befriended the idea of getting bald, but not so early on. Every male in both my mother's and father's family are > NW5 ( statred baling early 30s). I am just filled with anger and sorrow. But, I am mostly getting overwhelmed with anger, cause I can't defeat this monster. I won't elaborate more on it, it's long enough. I dont know if it makes any sense. Here are some photos below.

1. and 2. showing the damage that has been done.

1. https://imgur.com/4XiTzte
2. https://imgur.com/sJ6R1uZ

3. with decent applicaiton of toppik on and a somewhat longer hair

3. https://imgur.com/MX0xU98

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and minoxidil. And in the mean time, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and start working out, eating right and get a bit of a tan. You'll improve your look in three months. And in six, maybe the finasteride turns it around enough to where just a bit of toppik does the trick.......orrrrr, you can sit in that house, skinny, white n depressed, watching that hair go until toppik doesn't work anymore. The choice is yours.

AlexanderTheGreat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I'll hop on minoxidil, it's about time. To be honest I am a bit skeptical about finasteride. Are those side effect stories legit or just overexaggerating?

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So all this rent and you didnt even try finasteride? damn I was about to say that I sympathize with your situation, but now Im not even sorry for you bro

AlexanderTheGreat

My Regimen
Reaction score
So all this rent and you didnt even try finasteride? damn I was about to say that I sympathize with your situation, but now Im not even sorry for you bro
I didn't get on finasteride cause I was afraid of the sides and the fact that I was still growing.

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hang in there man, you can try minoxidil, regarding finasteride the side effects are real, start with minoxodil and see how you respond to it, your hair might improve a lot, good luck in your journey.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I'll hop on minoxidil, it's about time. To be honest I am a bit skeptical about finasteride. Are those side effect stories legit or just overexaggerating?
It's possible, depending on the person. ALWAYS FIXABLE. ANyways, I didn't any, at least nothing noticeable. Been on over two months now. Only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it was that bad of a decision to wait until now given your age.

That said, I think it's definitely time to start minoxidil + dermarolling, see what happens and maybe consider finasteride after.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
yours is a lot like mine pre transplant. wish you luck but minoxidil alone prob wont do it. Try finasteride I responded well but had sides but the vast majority of guys wont and when you stop they will stop as well. Unfortunately so does the hair growth :(.

AlexanderTheGreat

My Regimen
Reaction score
yours is a lot like mine pre transplant. wish you luck but minoxidil alone prob wont do it. Try finasteride I responded well but had sides but the vast majority of guys wont and when you stop they will stop as well. Unfortunately so does the hair growth :(.
I plan on seeing a dermatologist, so I can ask his/her opinion on the matter of finasteride. But, I tend more on the side of pulling the trigger and taking finasteride, if the sides( if there are any ) cease to exist once you stop the medication.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are serious about wanting to treat your hair loss properly, you will definitely need to use finasteride. As I always say, without fín, you cannot win!

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I plan on seeing a dermatologist, so I can ask his/her opinion on the matter of finasteride. But, I tend more on the side of pulling the trigger and taking finasteride, if the sides( if there are any ) cease to exist once you stop the medication.

sides can take a while to appear. Mine didnt appear until after 8-9 months. Then they can take a little while to go away. The trick is not letting it screw with you while the time passes. Dont let it get in your head or itll just take longer. Many guys say to get your hormone levels taken pre starting then a few times throughout. I never got them taken pre but did get them done a couple times during the sides. I was tech still in normal ranges but it affected me. Took a while to go back to normal but it did. This is really rare, Im like 2% of people who get the sides I did so the chances you will are probably 0.

AlexanderTheGreat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really appreciate the support and advice guys. I will take everything you said under consideration and try finding the best option for me.