9 months on propecia

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
Well today is the 9 month mark on propecia for me, and about 5-6 months using nizoral 1%. My hair hasn't really improved since I started treatment, it has gotten a little worse though. The only problem area for me is along the hairline, I would say I'm approaching a Norwood 2. I would be happy with the thinner areas filling in, but that isn't happening yet. I guess I could say that it has slowed my hairloss down at best. I've heard from a number of people to wait a year, so that's what I'm gonna do. Tomorrow I will also begin to take proscar split into 5ths.

Is there anyone here who was taking propecia by itself and saw no results for the first 9 months, then saw improvement from 9-12 months?

Do the majority of people here think I'm wasting my time seeing what propecia can do by itself and not starting on minoxidil? I was gonna wait till about the 11th month mark to start with minoxidil 5%.

I kind of didn't want to take both of them together so I had the option of dropping propecia if I don't see some kind of improvement (hairloss stopping, thinner hair becoming thicker, or even regrowth). I'm at least going to take the rest of what I have, which is 5 more months worth.

Here was the plan I was thinking of:
(also using nizoral the whole time)
month 9-11: only propecia, if there's improvement won't add anything
month 11-14: propecia and minoxidil 5% together, see how that goes, if I see results stick with both, if not drop propecia and go with only minoxidil for awhile. (my propecia supply will have run out, and I think after 14 months I have given it enough time).

G

i would seriously consider adding minoxidil if you're trying to improve the hairline. the finasteride should help keep the hair that you have and maybe even thicken it up a little. if you're looking to re-grow some hair, especially on the hairline, then i would add minoxidil now. it should work very well if you've already been on finasteride for a while. i have used finasteride and minoxidil for about 4-5 months. i only use the minoxidil on my hairline and so far i have tons of little blonde vellus hairs, i'm hoping they turn terminal. it's working very well. i don't apply the minoxidil on my crown and i'm hoping the finasteride will just keep what i have there as it isn't too bad. if i were you i would add the minoxidil just to your hairline if that's where the problem is. it should work well for you. it's a hell of a lot cheaper too if you just use it on the hairline. one $25 box will last me close to 9 months.

Axon

Reaction score
I did not see improvement until month 10 on the hairline, but I was using Minoxidil once a day there.

But there is still hope, yes. I'm having a crappy hair day and my crown looks like sh*t if it makes you feel any better. Hairline, however, continues to get *better*. Go figure.

G

5-6 months is nothing. Wait it out and see what you feel/look like in 5 months. Stay away from minoxidil for now. Save it for when you are desperate.

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
So there's a mixed opinion then. One person says to start minoxidil now and the other to stay away from it for 5 more months, so I'm still not sure what to do.
I value the opinion of people here, and I'm basing what I'm going to do by what people here think I should do.

Are there more people here who could give me some insight as to what the best way to go is?

(also started proscar today, was pretty easy to split it into 5th with the pill cutter.....the picture that was shown in previous posts helped alot)

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I would say its quite possible you won't see and benefit from the propecia until the 1 year mark, so your plan of action seems plausable. However, if you are trying to grow significant hair, minoxidil may be the only option. Not the sound like a broken record, but propecia is best for keeping the hair you have and minoxidil is required for significant regrowth. Its kinda a grey area to if you should start minoxidil right now or not.

hopewas

Reaction score
don't know if it's my haircut or finasteride, but my hair has thickened a lot and i've been on minoxidil and proscar for like 2 weeks. it's honestly got my mind off thinning. it's too early but so far so good. no side effects at all. i hav ebeen shedding more than usual but i'm not worried

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedmaster,

How much hair do you mean when you say significant regrowth?
What level on the Norwood scale would you have to be at for significant regrowth to be needed?

The only area where I would be looking for regrowth or even some thickening is mostly on the corners of the hairline where it goes back (the middle of the hairline is still doing ok, and no problems with the crown).

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
Any response Shedmaster? Or from anyone else here?

I'm seriously considering getting minoxidil now and not waiting a couple more months on finasteride alone, because now i don't want my hairline to thin out anymore. I know my hairloss has not been stopped from the finasteride, but there's also the possibility it'll get thicker after it continues to get worse (i'm not sure if i wanna take that chance though).

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Well its impossible to give you a definete answer without seeing pictures of what kind of state your hairloss is in right now. Many have posted saying that they are almost bald, and asking for help, only to see that the look perfectly fine and have only slight loss. If the temples are your problem, remember that hairloss treatments are more effective the further back on the scalp, with the frontal area being the weakest. But dont let that get you discouraged, all that means is that this area takes the longest to react to the treatment.

So I ask, how much has your hairline receded? how fast did it recede to where it is now? Do you see daily shedding from this area or is the process slow?

If the male pattern baldness is fairly agressive and you are in panic mode, then perhaps minoxidil would be a good option. If you could live with the state that your hairline is in now with perhaps some slight regrowth in the temples then try to ride out the propecia for another 2 or 3 months. If you do start the minoxidil, remember that once you get your hair into a good condition to wher you are satisfied, you may maintain with only once per day applications, as opposed to 2.

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response ShedMaster, I'm glad there are some people here who take the time to help others out.

And now to answer your questions:

How much has my hairline receded?
I would say that I'm at about a Norwood 1.5-2 (closer to 2).
And not all the hair is thick and strong, the hair in the corners of the hairline and along my right temple is thin and weak.

How fast did it recede to where it is now?
I believe my hair started receding when I was 21 (this is when i noticed, but maybe slightly at 20), and I'm now 23. So it got to this point over the process of about 2 years.

Do you see daily shedding from this area or is the process slow?
Hair will usually come out if i put my hands through the hair in that area, like one or two at a time. I usually find about 10 hairs in the shower when I'm done, but i don't have massive sheds like ones described here.

So my hairloss is not very aggressive, but it seems to be reaching a point where it will be very difficult to style my hair and the thinning will become obvious.

Thanks again for your help.