9 Month Generic Proscar Update

jimmypage

Reaction score
Well, it's been 9 month already. I remember when I started taking finasteride: "great, by next summer I will have recovered most of what I lost or at least maintean what I have" (which, by the way, was quite a lot by that moment). 9 months and all hope is lost. I know, everybody says "keep it at least 1 year" and I will. But the truth is that propecia is not working on me. My hair is supe thin. Sometimes one hair shed and is one of them that is still thick. I remember when all were like that one.

I started with only thining in the crown. It was like that for 3 years. And I mean it, for that time only crown was attacked and not too heavy. 9 months after finasteride all my scalp has thinned to the point I cant bath in public. Is unbelivable.

Many people says that it is not finasteride that if I hadn't started with the drug it would be much worse. I have spoken with my derm (friend of the family) and he confirmed it: finasteride most likely acelerated the process on me. He recommended to stick to it for a while, and if after the complete year show no improvement, there would be no reason to not quitting.

Just wanted to share my experience. The hardest thing is to accept going bald before 25.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you get your finasteride from a local pharmacy?

g.i joey

Reaction score
stay on it bro, you dont really have a choice, cause if you get off you most likely wont recover.

Something really weird is going on, either more and more people are going on finasteride these past 2 years or its just not working because its rare you would see people complaining about finasteride not working this often in the past.

jimmypage

Reaction score
Did you get your finasteride from a local pharmacy?

Yes, I've always bought the drug in my local pharmacy, no overseas or anything like that.

stay on it bro, you dont really have a choice, cause if you get off you most likely wont recover.

Something really weird is going on, either more and more people are going on finasteride these past 2 years or its just not working because its rare you would see people complaining about finasteride not working this often in the past.

Yes, I will stay because it's seems is not doing any harm either. I also have noticed that many people is complaining about finasteride succes.

Thanks for your replies!

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Join the club. How old are you Jimmy?

jimmypage

Reaction score
Join the club. How old are you Jimmy?

What a shitty club, I must say. I'm now 22.

PS: I've been on generic proscar, btw. I intend switching to generic also, but 1mg these last 3 months to see what happens.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK, so you've been balding starting from around 19 years old, correct?

Despite what people say, Finasteride seems to be the least effective for people who start balding young, because those people also have the most aggressive genes that cause the Androgenetic Alopecia to start early and hit hard.

Most of those people, myself included, find that Finasteride is simply not enough to stop their baldness. I've wasted 1 year waiting for finasteride to catch up and work, and lost more hair in the process.
Your option is to step up to Dutasteride or to add topicals, like RU, or a CRTH2 antagonist like Seti.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Despite what people say, Finasteride seems to be the least effective for people who start balding young, because those people also have the most aggressive genes that cause the Androgenetic Alopecia to start early and hit hard.

Most of those people, myself included, find that Finasteride is simply not enough to stop their baldness. I've wasted 1 year waiting for finasteride to catch up and work, and lost more hair in the process.
Your option is to step up to Dutasteride or to add topicals, like RU, or a CRTH2 antagonist like Seti.
Agree 100%.
Wasted 10 months on 1mg of finasteride. Granted I didn't lose any hair while on it, I didn't notice much regrowth either.
Had to kick it into full drive; added dutasteride, while staying on finasteride...& dare I say might add 'E'.
I'm tired of being bald. I want to feel what it's like to have hair again, like when I was 16-17

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stay on it.
I started off exactly like you and quit after 9 months (genuine propecia). I started off with having slightly thinning hair that needed treatment ASAP before it's too late but I thought to myself finasteride will at least halt further hair loss and perhaps regrow a bit or least help me maintain. During those 9 months I lost a lot of hair and now I basically messed myself up.
I quit finasteride because I felt like there's just no way I could lose hair at a faster rate than I was on finasteride. The sides effects weren't too bad just lower sex drive, less morning wood and a bit of lethargy.
I then quit finasteride for 6 months and kept loosing more hair.
After 6 months break I'm now back on propecia because I basically have no other choice and nothing to lose but to give propecia a try for a full 2 years, I'm now almost 3 months in. My "hair" is I can even call it hair so crap all I can at least hope for is to have hair when I buzzcut instead of being slick bald.
Part of me wonders what would happen if I stayed on propecia on all along I would have nearly a year and a half on it.

jimmypage

Reaction score

Yes, starting losing hair at 19. I'm difinitely not taking dutasteride or RU, I prefer going bald, save money and get a micropigmentation or accepting the baldness. What I don't get is why, if finasteride isn't working, it accelerated my hair loss ratio, instead of just keeping the same (not the same hair, but same hair loss ratio).

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, starting losing hair at 19. I'm difinitely not taking dutasteride or RU, I prefer going bald, save money and get a micropigmentation or accepting the baldness. What I don't get is why, if finasteride isn't working, it accelerated my hair loss ratio, instead of just keeping the same (not the same hair, but same hair loss ratio).

Alright, fair enough. Just make absolutely sure you won't regret that decision, cause there's no going back.
And looking at yourself in the mirror severely bald might be a lot worse than you think it will be right now.

As to why finasteride might have accelerated your balding, it can potentially cause androgen receptor upregulation in some people leading to increased androgen activity. I am not sure if there are any studies to confirm that, but it seems plausible.

cocojambo

Established Member
Reaction score

I've been balding since I was 15, maybe 14, does that mean that I have no chance of stopping it when I'm 18 and can get on finasteride? I also have been born with a NW2-ish hairline :(

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been balding since I was 15, maybe 14, does that mean that I have no chance of stopping it when I'm 18 and can get on finasteride? I also have been born with a NW2-ish hairline :(

I wouldn't say you have no chance, but judging by what I see on these forums and in my own case, it definitely seems that Finasteride is less effective the younger and faster you start going bald.

So who knows, it may slow down your hair loss, stop it completely, or do nothing. That's something you will have to see.
I'm really sorry about your situation, I won't pretend to know how it feels to experience baldness before you're even legally an adult. Things like that would just plain not be possible if I created the world.

If you really really care about it, I would be throwing everything I had at it. Not just finasteride. And if you did use finasteride then you should probably use it topically as well as orally.

cocojambo

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say you have no chance, but judging by what I see on these forums and in my own case, it definitely seems that Finasteride is less effective the younger and faster you start going bald.

So who knows, it may slow down your hair loss, stop it completely, or do nothing. That's something you will have to see.
I'm really sorry about your situation, I won't pretend to know how it feels to experience baldness before you're even legally an adult. Things like that would just plain not be possible if I created the world.

If you really really care about it, I would be throwing everything I had at it. Not just finasteride. And if you did use finasteride then you should probably use it topically as well as orally.

I tried minoxidil, I think it was working but stopped because of the nonstop flaky scalp, I'm really having no luck..

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you can also safely use Ketoconazole.
You can combat the dandruff with some anti-dandruff shampoos, or essential oils to help reduce the alcohol irritation on the scalp. I have that problem with minoxidil too.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely feel your frustrations chaps.

I'm now into my 8th month on legit UK licensed pharmacy supplied 1mg generic finasteride.

It's weird as sometimes I think yeah my hair looks better, but then like today when I got my hair cut I'm thinking oh crap it looks thin as hell, fins not doing a damn thing!

I'm probably going to give it 1 to 2 years along with trying a different brand of generic finasteride on my next script.

If at any stage I can conclude that I'm definitely not even maintaining, then I will probably take my bat and ball home and jump on dutas...