8 Months Still No Ressults, Shall I Stop Minoxidil?

Yousef

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started Minoxidil " Regaine " almost 8 months .

First I started with 1 time a day , for about a month , cuz before I tried to use it 2 times daily
and caused me some side effects. almost after a month I started using 2 times daily.

The first 4 months there were little shedding , and as I read this is something normal but there was no
sign at all of stop shedding to regrowth , from 4rth month to 6th, the shedding was insane , so had to go back to 1 time a day and the shedding slowed down - this was month 7.

I went to see my doctor who told me to use it , he told me cuz I kept changing my routine i kept shedding, and I have to go back to 2 times daily to get the result and i have to wait for a year to see the regrowth . also he asked me to do PRP to stop the shedding and help the regrowth.

now am almost gonna finish my 8th month , I did my first PRP, still shedding not stopped, my hair look worst than ever.

is this normal for using minoxidil , shall I stop , or see another doctor to see if minoxidil good for me or not?

really confused

Yousef

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another shed?
I did not get any growth , I was just shedding all this time
was hoping by stopping Minoxidil I'll grow what I lost

but do I think I should wait for another 3 months , to see if something will change
last chance , or just stop before it gets even worse?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel it is always best to include photos of your hair when asking what you should do--do you have before and current photos?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes photos would be good, sometimes with people checking their hair constantly they don't notice results even if they are minimal. Always best to take photos every few months. Also are you dermarolling before applying minoxidil?

Last edited:

Yousef

My Regimen
Reaction score
No , I don't have before and after photo , never thought to do that.
But am seriously thinking of stopping minoxidil, now am on my 9th month
though I had PRP session 2 weeks back , hair loss did not stop

my hair is worse than ever, before I started minoxidil my head was covered with hair
now am close to total baldness

after all that time an no result, just keep shedding, I dont see any reason why to keep using it.
Maybe its not for me
Ill keep PRP , hope to get back at least to where I was

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started Minoxidil " Regaine " almost 8 months .

First I started with 1 time a day , for about a month , cuz before I tried to use it 2 times daily
and caused me some side effects. almost after a month I started using 2 times daily.

The first 4 months there were little shedding , and as I read this is something normal but there was no
sign at all of stop shedding to regrowth , from 4rth month to 6th, the shedding was insane , so had to go back to 1 time a day and the shedding slowed down - this was month 7.

I went to see my doctor who told me to use it , he told me cuz I kept changing my routine i kept shedding, and I have to go back to 2 times daily to get the result and i have to wait for a year to see the regrowth . also he asked me to do PRP to stop the shedding and help the regrowth.

now am almost gonna finish my 8th month , I did my first PRP, still shedding not stopped, my hair look worst than ever.

is this normal for using minoxidil , shall I stop , or see another doctor to see if minoxidil good for me or not?

really confused

Minoxidil doesn't even cause permanent results in animal studies. It's
a known fact. It's a potassium channel blocker, and only causes hair growth,
no DHT removal, which means it won't stop hair loss in the long run, unfortunately.

You really need to consider both dermarolling and Minoxidil, to get results. Use
1.5 mm, and put it on the vertex, and hairline, wherever baldness has already
occurred.

That's what a famous doctor form India, who is on the Follica board has done. She
is globally known and has had scientific journals about androgen alopecia in men, and
dermarolling, published.

Eight months is a very long time.

I would add Finasteride. People who use both should see results in 4 months.

Unfortunately, as you already found it, Minoxidil alone is not working for you.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think hair loss varies from person to person. For some Minoxidil is amazing and for others it does nothing without a DHT blocker and anti inflammatory. I do not think every male who loses their hair has a big androgen issue nor will everyone who loses their hair go totally bald. For most men who have total baldness in their family, Minoxidil will not work long term. Remember, only around 30% see a huge regrowth. Minoxidil also causes terrible shedding. I can actually feel like a 'tingling' and know the hair is falling out and sure enough will touch that part with that sensation and a long strand of hair there comes out....this also happens on the sides and back. I do not have this happen without Minoxidil.

HOWEVER even with the shedding, Minoxidil tends to fill in the areas as well so after months it looks better. But yes, Minoxidil is very scary with its sheds and remodeling of hair phases when you are already oversensitive about losing hair.

If you have been using Minoxidil for 8 months and truly lost 50% of your hair, that is extremely rare. I ask for pics because most people making those claims tend to be hysterical and are not making accurate assessments---which is why natural methods are a rabbit hole because it is all based on bipolar anecdotes as opposed to the multi-million dollar clinical trials of Finasteride and Minoxidil.

I think Rogaine 5% once per day is enough to see results. The point is to get the Minoxidil in the follicles and keep it there. The half life is 22hrs so twice a day is not really that important and may increase shedding.

Yousef

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the helpful replies

No I've started using derma roller size 0.5, that's what my doctor told me to use
on weekly basis , and don't use minoxidil for about 24 hours after that.

Also I'll try what Retinoid suggested , to go back to 1 time a day.

what If i stopped Minoxidil , and just kept doing PRP , do u think this will give better results?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think hair loss varies from person to person. For some Minoxidil is amazing and for others it does nothing without a DHT blocker and anti inflammatory. I do not think every male who loses their hair has a big androgen issue nor will everyone who loses their hair go totally bald. For most men who have total baldness in their family, Minoxidil will not work long term. Remember, only around 30% see a huge regrowth. Minoxidil also causes terrible shedding. I can actually feel like a 'tingling' and know the hair is falling out and sure enough will touch that part with that sensation and a long strand of hair there comes out....this also happens on the sides and back. I do not have this happen without Minoxidil.

HOWEVER even with the shedding, Minoxidil tends to fill in the areas as well so after months it looks better. But yes, Minoxidil is very scary with its sheds and remodeling of hair phases when you are already oversensitive about losing hair.

If you have been using Minoxidil for 8 months and truly lost 50% of your hair, that is extremely rare. I ask for pics because most people making those claims tend to be hysterical and are not making accurate assessments---which is why natural methods are a rabbit hole because it is all based on bipolar anecdotes as opposed to the multi-million dollar clinical trials of Finasteride and Minoxidil.

I think Rogaine 5% once per day is enough to see results. The point is to get the Minoxidil in the follicles and keep it there. The half life is 22hrs so twice a day is not really that important and may increase shedding.

Look, I used to be the poster child for Minoxidil.

I'm definitely not a young guy here. In fact, I'm probably old
enough to be most guy's father, unfortunately.

When I was young, I used 2% Minoxidil. Finasteride was
not approved yet. (Yes, I'm f*****g old!)

My entire hairline grew back, and it was between a Norwood 2 and 3
at that point (early twenties). All of it. By that I am talking Norwood
zero.

And I needed a prescription to get 2% as well.

Guess what, it stopped working. No surprise. I didn't use
Finasteride until my forties. Big mistake.

This guy used it for eight months. Usually you can tell by four to five months,
if your a responder. Much less than a year. So, he's probably not a good responder.

Unfortunately, that's just the genetic card we get dealt in life.