8 Mo Finasteride. Great Results But Shedding More Hair Than Ever.

Reaction score
I am approaching the 8th month on finasteride, I dropped monixidil in january after 3 months . I've had incredible success only 3 months in and I continued to gain at an even faster pace after that. Lately, I had to get a different haircut than before, the hair on top of my head is much shorter now because the whole top of my head thickened up (less comb-over). 3 months ago I noticed a lot of small, frizzy hairs on my hairline which do actually look kind of awkward now but I do hope that they will get thicker and stronger in the future.

No adverse effects from finasteride apart from slight tenderness in my nipples 1 month in which disappeared soon after that.

Now I should be happy, but there is one issue that concerns me: Even though my status improved by a mile I never actually stopped shedding, in fact it seems like the better my hair looks the more hair I shed. Its absurd. I went from shedding about 15 thick hairs before i started finasteride to shedding almost 50 (albeit much smaller and weaker) hairs just while massaging my head in the shower. Sometimes it drives me nuts and I have to remind myself that in the end the way my hair looks is more important than the amount of hair I lose, but still it is not exactly relaxing.

What do you think? Is there any reason to be worried for the future?

violetfluff

Reaction score
A high shed rate associated with male pattern baldness is due to miniaturized hairs with a shorter life cycle i.e. shorter anagen phase which results in a high turn-over rate. The hair may not even appear to thin depending on the regrowth rate and the delay between shedding and re-emergence of regrowing hair.
It is quite possible to have thickening hair density while shedding a lot.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess multiple sheds on Finasteride are common. I experienced one starting at month 5 that is just starting to slow down 8 months in.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would just like to note that it seems that for people that finasteride is working well for them, they usually shed thin wispy hairs, this seems quite common.
For me, finasteride has basocilly done jack sh*t and I'm losing a lot of my thick terminal hairs. I do lose some thin minituarized hairs, but not that many.
For instance, if I run water over my head, a lot of fine thicker hairs just fall of right into the sink, it's like my hair is saying ita farewell to me :-(
I'm gonna add RU 58841 soon, perhaps I'll have better luck.