8.5 Years Of Battling Hair Loss (with Recent Pictures) | HairLossTalk Forums

8.5 Years Of Battling Hair Loss (with Recent Pictures)

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Avania, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Avania

Avania New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hey everyone - I'm a long-time lurker who's finally decided to create an account. Long story short, I'm 24, and I've been battling hair loss since I was 16. I was diagnosed with androgenic alopecia (only at 18, though, because I'd always had thick hair and never paid much attention to it till things got bad).

TIMELINE

2009 - mid-2011: Right temple started thinning out, and I started noticing diffuse hair loss some time after. Did numerous blood tests and EVERYTHING came back normal (hormone levels, iron, ferritin, etc., etc.); was tested for PCOS and that came out negative. My follicles are probably just extremely DHT-sensitive? Anyhow, I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia and prescribed 5% minoxidil (2x daily).
    End-2011: My hair worsened steadily for half a year, so I stopped using minoxidil - and switched to a left part (since my left temple was unaffected then).
    Mid-2013: Noticed an acceleration of hair loss. Got back on minoxidil (1x daily) and was prescribed Diane-35. I'm not sure if it was the minoxidil, Diane, or both, but my hair thickened up a fair bit and I was really pleased. Unless I parted my hair on the right (my right temple is probably unsalvageable, ha), you couldn't tell I had hair loss.
    May 2017: Noticed that in recent months, I'd lost quite a bit of ground after maintaining my hair on minoxidil and Diane for 3+ years. Added 2% Nizoral (once every three days) to my regimen; upped my usage of minoxidil to 2x daily from 1x.
    June 2017: Added 5mg of finasteride (daily) to my regimen. Not planning to ever have children, plus I'm vain as heck and would do ANYTHING to keep my hair... I've also struggled with depression since 14 (I've been on antidepressants for a number of years now), and successfully managing my hair loss would help a lot with that.

MY HAIR NOW

I don't have photos of my hair at its peak, but I've stuck pretty religiously to these treatments since mid-2013, and I firmly believe that I would've lost a LOT more hair without Diane and minoxidil. I'm really hoping finasteride can thicken my hair up - I have a lot of miniaturisation (especially at the temples and hairline), and I think it'd make a cosmetic different if those thin, short hairs were to thicken up. If there's no improvement after a year, I'll consider either spironolactone or dutasteride.

tempImageForSave 2.jpg

My right temple, which has been thinning since I was 16. Weirdly enough, I have a lot of miniaturised hairs there still (probably thanks to the minoxidil).

tempImageForSave (2).jpg

Left temple. My temples are honestly the hardest-hit in this Androgenetic Alopecia battle.

tempImageForSave (3).jpg

My streaky centre part in harsh sunlight.

tempImageForSave.jpg

My left part, where I normally part my hair. I'm holding my hair back to show the part more clearly - normally, no one can tell I have hair loss. I'm hoping it doesn't thin out any further.

tempImageForSave (1).jpg

Left part in harsh sunlight. It's streakier than it used to be, especially at the front.

TL;DR: I just want to encourage all of you ladies to never give up! Realising I was losing my hair at 16 and having people comment on my hair loss was painful, but I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible. And hey, I'm not totally bald yet. :)

#1 Avania, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Mellie

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Your hair looks great! i wouldn't have guessed in a million years that you had hair loss. It looks thick and healthy. Was just wondering why you picked Finasteride over spironolactone which is the treatment of choice for women.

I've been battling hair loss for 2 years, after a Telogen Effluvium from stopping the birth control pill. Im back on the pill and using Rogaine but I'm experiencing increased shedding again so thinking about my next step.

hairblues likes this.
  3. JeanLucBB

JeanLucBB Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Such a goddess. Your hair is stunning.

hairblues likes this.
  4. Avania

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thank you! It's definitely got a lot worse in the past couple of months, though, so I'm doing all I can to keep it looking 'okay'.

I actually tried spironolactone years ago, back when I wasn't on any other medication. I didn't quite like that it was a diuretic, plus it REALLY messed with my menstrual cycle. Diane would probably help with that now, but I already get quite painful periods, so I'm hoping to stave off the incorporation of spironolactone into my regimen till I really need it.

I wish you all the best in growing back your hair! As long as it's not Androgenetic Alopecia and you don't see any miniaturisation then I think you'll be fine. I've heard of women using spironolactone after Telogen Effluvium to speed up regrowth, though, or adding supplements like biotin to stimulate quicker hair growth and improve the quality of your existing hair.

hairblues likes this.
  5. Avania

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thank you! Not too sure about the goddess part, though. Still getting there. ;-)

6. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    perhaps you don't have Androgenetic Alopecia, just a thinner hair line? I hope finasteride doesn't fuck you up. Just be cautious. Your hair looks awesome. :)

7. Medina

Medina Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Do you eat bananas?

8. Trichosan

Trichosan Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    That's what I was thinking too, because it isn't apparent to me at all you have alopecia judging by the photos. How did the doctor diagnose it was AA, is there a DHT sensitivity test?

buckthorn likes this.
  9. Avania

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Oh no, I definitely have Androgenetic Alopecia. Before this began I had extremely thick hair on all parts of my head (hairline, temples, vertex, etc.), so that's why I was sure my diagnosis was correct - these parts were all miniaturising and thinning out. :-(

And thank you! I definitely will be cautious with finasteride.

#9 Avania, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    hairblues likes this.
  10. Avania

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Occasionally! Why the question?

11. Avania

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    When I was 18, the derm studied my scalp (no biopsy or anything) and noted that there was a lot of miniaturisation, especially at the temples. I ran blood test after blood test and my levels were all perfectly fine (nothing was on the higher/lower end of normal), so I'm just assuming I got unlucky. I've had no real shedding all these years, apart from a few months when I was 18 in which I noticed that lots more hair was coming out - my hair just gets thinner gradually.

I don't think they've developed a test that can ascertain how sensitive one's follicles are to DHT, though I hope they do someday. I just put two and two together and figured that as someone who's always been hairy (not enough to be hirsute, but I do have a fair amount of small hairs on my chest / tummy / upper back / arms / legs), my hair is probably just very sensitive to androgens in general.

And I suppose the reason why my hair loss doesn't look super obvious is because I had very thick hair to begin with. Now it's just of average thickness.

#11 Avania, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    hairblues likes this.
  12. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    don't indulge him, I have a feeling his intentions with this question are not pure. ;)

Medina and JeanLucBB like this.
  13. Thinkouttabox

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi everyone! I'm actually new to this forum and 18 yrs old only!
    I guess...mine is AA (androgentic one) and i dont want to live stressfully the rest of my life...i have too great plans for it!
    I was thinking....why dont we change the trend?
    These docs and researchers have been researching for that onecure for ages...and if still in 2017 they cannit do it!
    I believe they wont till we all die waiting to grow hair over our head!
    How about thinking sth new? How about cuttiing off all the stresses until they find out the full reciepe to regrow our hair?

I LITERALLY DONT WANNA GO BALD! AND DO A TRANSPLANT TO LOSE HAIR AGAIN!
    I WANT A BRIGHTER CHOICE A HAPPIER CHOICE WHICH MAKE US-THE SUFFERERS THE MOST BLESSED ONES!

I was thinking -WHAT ABOUT ARTIFICIAL HAIR GRAFTS OVER OUR SCALP THAT WILL BE PERMANENT?

We can force these compqnies to start competing for this thing...till they get the complete solution....lets live happily girls!

WE DID NO CRIMES TO SUFFER THIS!
    WE ARE BEAUTIFUL..AND WE DESERVE TO LIVE WITH A HEAD FULL OF HAIR, BEQUTY AND DREAMS!❤

14. Thinkouttabox

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    And hey...your hair looks quite nice now...i bet i have the thinnest hair over hair...but i am not gonna let my fate control me...
    We are living in the 21st century girls...
    Lets be more of ourselves...
    Lets find a solution

15. yourworld001

yourworld001 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What isn't this in the womens section of the site

16. Avania

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hey all, just thought I'd give a quick update on my hair. Like I mentioned, I started finasteride at the beginning of June, so I've been on it over 3.5 months. I didn't even notice or consider the fact that I was shedding, until the people I live with (who know nothing about my hair loss regimen) commented that my hair was 'all over the place' and I seemed to be 'shedding a lot; was I eating enough?!' (lol). My boyfriend also commented offhand that a lot of hair would come out in his hand whenever he touched it.

Anyhow, that corroborated the weekly photos I've been taking, which definitely showed a deterioration from baseline in months 2 and 3. I was honestly pretty depressed because more scalp was starting to show in the pictures / the mirror. (Am in a rush now so I can't upload the photos...!)

However, in the last week or so my part has closed up some, with regrowth sprouting up and less scalp showing. I'm crossing my fingers that this improvement will continue - and I guess this is as good a time as any to really encourage everyone (and myself) to just be really consistent and not give up to soon. :)

#16 Avania, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    indiralar likes this.