7m On Finasteride Shed/greasy Hair (could Be Keto?)

shotgunkiss

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope all is well. Very long time reader - lurked a bit about my question but didn't find anything.

About my situation - diffuse hairloss since 2010 (22 years old). I was not on any regimen except keto 2% shampoo 3 times a week since 2011 up to mid 2016. At first when I was the most young it caused me so much stress, but I kinda 'broke myself' and accepted the 'receding' look, I really didn't mind it. Helpful to note whenever I had uncontrollable sheds my hair was greasy, itchy, you could feel some scalp tingling/pain, no news to you guys right. Anyway, gradually miniaturizing but I really do think keto 2% (the brand I had here also had zinc btw (Eastern Europe)) helped - I think if I hadn't done anything I might have been full blown bald by now.

I was hesitant to go on finasteride because of these unproven rumours that it could be transmitted via sperm, as we were trying for a baby. I did not feel like taking this kind of gamble on something as superficial as hair. Anyway, since we have solved this issue with the lady in 2015, this factor was out of the window. By summer 2016 you could see that my diffuse thinning did result in good degree of miniaturisation and there was different coloration already (pic is March 2016 FullSizeRender 4.jpg), I cut my hair short so this color would not be evident.

I think around july 2016 I had some wave of shedding, couple of looks in the mirror and realized that if I wanted to stop this at all I had to stop this now, so went and bought finasteride (luckly generic finasteride cost something like EUR 8 30*5mg), pill cutter and started dealing with this. I wouldn't mind it in the end but I plan to move countries within the next 12m, and I work in finance that tends to be rather superficial in terms of this 'dominant male' culture, not really good to start at the bottom already looking lamer than the interns.

Holy crap did it work from the outset. Hair just stopped falling and the greasiness has normalised, no tingling or pain in scalp, hair was still the same but it felt like healthy hair when tugging. This anxiety attack that made me do it was gone, and within like 3 months top hair color started to match the sides - meaning that I guess some min. was reversed (I didn't takemuch pictures of myself during that time so can't find any). I took pills either in the morning or during the day, never missing more than 10 hours I guess.

Now around autumn the brand I used decided to discontinue keto 2% and change it to selenium 2% + saw palmetto extract. I bought that (actually automatically as the packaging was almost the same) and I think it was also good (?) - but having finasteride at my back made me feel not that bothered to check results and to note whether its worse or not. Now about onset of winter that shampoo was finished and I decided "eh what the hell I'll just use my wife's shampoo its all good now", and did this and didn't bother.
Around mid january I was travelling to a 12hour difference timezone and this has made me miss about 3 pills in total (forgot, random times, two biological days counted as one in terms of time etc). But, no changes right after that.

Now to the situation - around two weeks ago I found that I had a 'stash' of the old keto 2% shampoo and thought - why not, it smelt nice. I used it a couple of times and coincidentally I started to have a shed 'like the good ol days', which I am having today. I see hair on my keyboard, notepad, table, miniaturised and thick ones, any. Top of the scalp is itchy and tingling, gets greasy and oily in 36 hours after washing (also more shedding when it's greasy), forehead got so greasy that I got a couple of pimples on it (not really used to pimples at this age). Shedding is not disastrous but at least 70 hairs a day that I *notice*. Now really, what the hell is this? Shouldn't both finasteride and keto stop this androgenic reaction? Wife tells me that it's 'noticeable' that the situation is worse than before but told me it could be seasonal change, which does happen I guess. (Pics with flash under a light, nothing to hide hehe)
FullSizeRender 5.jpgFullSizeRender 6.jpgFullSizeRender 7.jpg
And I guess finasteride is blocking some androgens as this PoS does lower my gym gains and morning glory, so unless it's a particularly nasty androgenic reflux that only works on hair (although why not, the world is not fair to us) I am erring that it's not (plus wishful thinking). But why would keto 2% cause this and so pronounced that it would overcome the antiandrogenic properties of finasteride? Mystery. Since I cannot honestly appoint the oiliness on one or the other as it was not under controlled conditions, it could be any of these.

At this point I am considering going back to this saw palmetto thing as maybe it was really better - maybe it worked better with finasteride and I didn't pay it enough respect? But then again I did use keto 2% for 5-6 years and it got me somewhere, why would it cause this much distress.

Not into trying minoxidil as not aiming at rapid regrowth that much so that I'd spend that much time each day applying it. I would honestly be happy if I could turn 30 in a year and have some hair, then I could indulge in a hair transplant.

I guess my question is:
1)Can keto cause this kind of shedding under the circumstances?
2)is there a way I can establish that this is a normal thing to shed around 7m on finasteride? Can I somehow strike off the androgenic reflux off the list of possibilities? All the evidence seems to about shock loss shedding around onset of treatment, when it gets worse before getting better, which I did not have, it went straight to better.
3)general hairloss drama as this crap right now really made me lose my focus

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope all is well. Very long time reader - lurked a bit about my question but didn't find anything.

About my situation - diffuse hairloss since 2010 (22 years old). I was not on any regimen except keto 2% shampoo 3 times a week since 2011 up to mid 2016. At first when I was the most young it caused me so much stress, but I kinda 'broke myself' and accepted the 'receding' look, I really didn't mind it. Helpful to note whenever I had uncontrollable sheds my hair was greasy, itchy, you could feel some scalp tingling/pain, no news to you guys right. Anyway, gradually miniaturizing but I really do think keto 2% (the brand I had here also had zinc btw (Eastern Europe)) helped - I think if I hadn't done anything I might have been full blown bald by now.

I was hesitant to go on finasteride because of these unproven rumours that it could be transmitted via sperm, as we were trying for a baby. I did not feel like taking this kind of gamble on something as superficial as hair. Anyway, since we have solved this issue with the lady in 2015, this factor was out of the window. By summer 2016 you could see that my diffuse thinning did result in good degree of miniaturisation and there was different coloration already (pic is March 2016View attachment 49600), I cut my hair short so this color would not be evident.

I think around july 2016 I had some wave of shedding, couple of looks in the mirror and realized that if I wanted to stop this at all I had to stop this now, so went and bought finasteride (luckly generic finasteride cost something like EUR 8 30*5mg), pill cutter and started dealing with this. I wouldn't mind it in the end but I plan to move countries within the next 12m, and I work in finance that tends to be rather superficial in terms of this 'dominant male' culture, not really good to start at the bottom already looking lamer than the interns.

Holy crap did it work from the outset. Hair just stopped falling and the greasiness has normalised, no tingling or pain in scalp, hair was still the same but it felt like healthy hair when tugging. This anxiety attack that made me do it was gone, and within like 3 months top hair color started to match the sides - meaning that I guess some min. was reversed (I didn't takemuch pictures of myself during that time so can't find any). I took pills either in the morning or during the day, never missing more than 10 hours I guess.

Now around autumn the brand I used decided to discontinue keto 2% and change it to selenium 2% + saw palmetto extract. I bought that (actually automatically as the packaging was almost the same) and I think it was also good (?) - but having finasteride at my back made me feel not that bothered to check results and to note whether its worse or not. Now about onset of winter that shampoo was finished and I decided "eh what the hell I'll just use my wife's shampoo its all good now", and did this and didn't bother.
Around mid january I was travelling to a 12hour difference timezone and this has made me miss about 3 pills in total (forgot, random times, two biological days counted as one in terms of time etc). But, no changes right after that.

Now to the situation - around two weeks ago I found that I had a 'stash' of the old keto 2% shampoo and thought - why not, it smelt nice. I used it a couple of times and coincidentally I started to have a shed 'like the good ol days', which I am having today. I see hair on my keyboard, notepad, table, miniaturised and thick ones, any. Top of the scalp is itchy and tingling, gets greasy and oily in 36 hours after washing (also more shedding when it's greasy), forehead got so greasy that I got a couple of pimples on it (not really used to pimples at this age). Shedding is not disastrous but at least 70 hairs a day that I *notice*. Now really, what the hell is this? Shouldn't both finasteride and keto stop this androgenic reaction? Wife tells me that it's 'noticeable' that the situation is worse than before but told me it could be seasonal change, which does happen I guess. (Pics with flash under a light, nothing to hide hehe)
View attachment 49601View attachment 49602View attachment 49603
And I guess finasteride is blocking some androgens as this PoS does lower my gym gains and morning glory, so unless it's a particularly nasty androgenic reflux that only works on hair (although why not, the world is not fair to us) I am erring that it's not (plus wishful thinking). But why would keto 2% cause this and so pronounced that it would overcome the antiandrogenic properties of finasteride? Mystery. Since I cannot honestly appoint the oiliness on one or the other as it was not under controlled conditions, it could be any of these.

At this point I am considering going back to this saw palmetto thing as maybe it was really better - maybe it worked better with finasteride and I didn't pay it enough respect? But then again I did use keto 2% for 5-6 years and it got me somewhere, why would it cause this much distress.

Not into trying minoxidil as not aiming at rapid regrowth that much so that I'd spend that much time each day applying it. I would honestly be happy if I could turn 30 in a year and have some hair, then I could indulge in a hair transplant.

I guess my question is:
1)Can keto cause this kind of shedding under the circumstances?
2)is there a way I can establish that this is a normal thing to shed around 7m on finasteride? Can I somehow strike off the androgenic reflux off the list of possibilities? All the evidence seems to about shock loss shedding around onset of treatment, when it gets worse before getting better, which I did not have, it went straight to better.
3)general hairloss drama as this crap right now really made me lose my focus
There is no evidence of either Ketoconazole or Finasteride shedding. There is with minoxidil.
Yet I would suggest exactly minoxidil because you don't spend "that much time daily" applying it.

shotgunkiss

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see, thanks. My intern is planning to start minoxidil and I might do as well, especially since this last week I started to feel stupid and this might be finasteride, which I will have to think of dropping if minoxidil does the trick.