7 years on dutasteride and my free test has tanked

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
haven’t posted a thread here in a long time. Not going to go into everything I’ve used trying to stop hairloss, but four years into dutasteride I did notice I was very fatigued and gaining pudgy weight making me skinny fat.. I workout regularly so I just figured my diet was to blame..

Fast forward to this past year. I felt AWFUL.. waking up late every day, bones and joints hurt, the whole nine.. went to my doctor and had some lab work done and my total T is 477 which isn’t the best, but my free T which is what my body would be using was 6... the range at my lab is 10-26. So basically all my test is binding up elsewhere and not being used..

Had anyone here gone on trt whilst staying on dutasteride ? I haven’t stabilized my hairloss in the 7 years with this drug LOL, but now I’ve destroyed my test with it so if I can somehow regain that, maybe some magic will happen lol.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get your estrogen tested it could be rock bottom. Low estrogen can make you feel bad and cause achy joints and also bad for hair. If you increase your T you'll get more estrogen aramotization from that, so maybe that could do something. You probably have almost no DHT at all. With an increase in estrogen maybe you'll get stabilization.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Get your estrogen tested it could be rock bottom. Low estrogen can make you feel bad and cause achy joints and also bad for hair. If you increase your T you'll get more estrogen aramotization from that, so maybe that could do something. You probably have almost no DHT at all. With an increase in estrogen maybe you'll get stabilization.
Hey so I had my estradiol checked too and it was 24 on my first lab and 21 on the most recent and the range is 7-42. So it’s kind where it should be. I tried to have my dht checked on my first lab and it came back as 26 when it really should have been unreadable lol. My second Doctor which is my new primary under new insurance said that their lab didn’t do that.. odd I know.
I have an appointment with an endo but I’ve already been told the only thing I can do is start TRT. =/ judging by my brothers hair, not a good idea lol

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have some pictures of your hair?
I have a butt load because I’ve tried oral minoxidil too and had great regrowth from that. Destroyed me with facial swelling which I’m still dealing with 7 months off of that drug. But this thread isn’t regarding me showing my hair, more so, looking for anyone that has used TRT along side of dutasteride or even finasteride to maintain whilst on T

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I have a butt load because I’ve tried oral minoxidil too and had great regrowth from that. Destroyed me with facial swelling which I’m still dealing with 7 months off of that drug. But this thread isn’t regarding me showing my hair, more so, looking for anyone that has used TRT along side of dutasteride or even finasteride to maintain whilst on T

I understand that. However, the reason I asked is because I want to see if your level of hairloss warranted taking such drastic measures such as dutasteride, which is a much more powerful drug than finasteride.

There have been numerous posters on these forums who have reported side effects from dutasteride when, upon showing pictures, it appeared that they had very little hair loss at all. Thus, they probably threw their hormones out of wack for taking a way stronger drug than they should have for their hair loss (or lacktherof)

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that. However, the reason I asked is because I want to see if your level of hairloss warranted taking such drastic measures such as dutasteride, which is a much more powerful drug than finasteride.

There have been numerous posters on these forums who have reported side effects from dutasteride when, upon showing pictures, it appeared that they had very little hair loss at all. Thus, they probably threw their hormones out of wack for taking a way stronger drug than they should have for their hair loss (or lacktherof)
Dude trust me.. I tried finasteride and it gave me reflexhyperandrogenicity after one year of use.. insane oily scalp with pimples all in my hairline and behind my ears, increased sex drive, burning scalp, itchy scalp the whole nine. I quit that and was hopeless so I started dutasteride about 5 months later and have been on ever since. I’ve done a lot to try and kill of the inflammation and hairloss. Prob more than a lot would. But now I’m looking to live me damn life. So unless you’ve been on trt with the use of finasteride/dutasteride, the comments you bring are irrelevant

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Dude trust me.. I tried finasteride and it gave me reflexhyperandrogenicity after one year of use.. insane oily scalp with pimples all in my hairline and behind my ears, increased sex drive, burning scalp, itchy scalp the whole nine. I quit that and was hopeless so I started dutasteride about 5 months later and have been on ever since. I’ve done a lot to try and kill of the inflammation and hairloss. Prob more than a lot would. But now I’m looking to live me damn life. So unless you’ve been on trt with the use of finasteride/dutasteride, the comments you bring are irrelevant
No problem...just trying to help.

Paddy420

My Regimen
Reaction score
So is your oily scalp issue is gone after using Dutasteride

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
So is your oily scalp issue is gone after using Dutasteride
Yeah but it took years and every once and a while I still get the occasional random day here and there where my scalp will get a few pimples from oils.. mind you, My test is very low LOL. So that may be the reason. Not the dht suppression

wannamyhairback

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Ziggy , in 2017 I tried to contact with you for numerous times as i was having same RH issues like you. in my humble opinion, the reason we have had what we did was because of increased estradiol back in time , I will be on 1.25 mg finasteride and 0.25 adex twice a week for next 6-12 months