7 Years of Propecia ---> 6 months of Avodart

thezoidberg

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a long-time member of the forum and thought I'd check in. I started Propecia and Rogaine about 7.5 years ago when I was a little past an NW2. I've spent 7 years on Propecia from my mid twenties till my early thirty's with a pretty solid track record with very minimal recession. If you've been taking Propecia for many years are seeing diminishing returns, this is where the post becomes sort of relevant. Propecia wasn't perfect, but it did a pretty fine job of holding the line for about four or five years. There were small and gradual losses for the last few years I was Propecia. This was pretty much inline with my expectations. Small losses around an NW2 are way better than the huge losses I would have experienced without the drugs leaving me something like an NW5 at this point.

About six months ago I talked a Hair Transplant Doctor and he suggested switching me from Propecia to Avodart after I mentioned Propecia wasn't holding the lines anymore and there seemed to be slight thinning on the crown. Kudos to the Doctor for being ethical and mentioning truthfully mentioning "it's just going to keep falling out" and offering me a RX for Avodart instead of trying to hawk a transplant for $10k.

After some initial headaches (the advil kind) and shedding of whatever is left of my temple hair the move to Avodart has been pretty smooth. Was there shedding? Yes. Would that shedding have happened anyway if I stayed on Propecia with declining results? You bet! It'll be interesting to see how my mostly intact crown and NW2ish hairline will hold up over the next few years. The only side effect I've noticed from Avodart is that my face is less oily and my pores are much cleaner than they have been in the past. If you consider that I used to have horrifically oily skin, this is a good thing. Avodart is also half the price of Propecia, so I'm saving $400 a year that I can eventually put towards a hair transplant.

That's my story. It's not the fairy tale I hoped for when I started Propecia many years ago, but it's way better than not taking the meds. :) If anybody out there is in the same boat, I would love to hear about your thoughts and experiences. :)

Until Next Time,

Zoidy

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
with dutasteride suppressing 90% of DHT, there are even more horror stories floating around than about finasteride. Have you experienced any serious or sexual side effects either with finasteride or now dutasteride?