7 week's on finasteride, crown is worse

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm an 18 year old, noticed thinning At the vertex at 17, started finasteride a few weeks back. I've tapered up on finasteride starting with 0.25 thrice a week to 0.5.every alternate day for the last week and half. Total 7 weeks I guess.

Now, I seem to have thinned all over, and my vertex Thin spot seems to appear larger than before. It's spreading to the top of my head. My hairline seems to have crept back a bit, and a thin spot seems to have appeared In the middle, right behind the hairline..

A friend of mine noticed my thinning today so I'm feeling a bit depressed :/. Any advice on my situation would be welcomed, thanx for reading. :(

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
7 weeks is nothing just stick with it. Things might get worse before they get better. Also why not just take the recommended 1mg per day dose?

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im on month 3 now, thats about 12 weeks bro, took 1mg everyday since.. Shedding is still bad, even worse that before, about 40-50 hair are lost daily, I can shake my hair and atleast 30 hairs shed... This is really depressing, how many months should it take for shedding to stop indefinitely?

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I've almost passed 2 months on propecia and I'm still shedding. It's got to the point where my scalp, especially towards the front is much more visible.

However, I have heard that once a hair follicle enters telogen and falls out, it may take up to 3-4 months before it showns any sign of regrowth, basically around 100 days. With propecia, many of our hair follicles have been forced to enter this phase as regrowth and thickening can not occur til the hair enters a new growth cycle, so hold in there.

My problem is that I was shedding prior to the treatment so I don't know what type of regrowth I would see.

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I have really thinned out in the exact same way as you, the hairs directly behind my hairline and sides have lost some density, so much so that friends have commented on it.

giannis

Reaction score
Me too for the middlle thin spot behind hairline after finasteride for three months.Nothing we can do but wait Cheers:beer:

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I know its hard, but try not to pay too much attention to shedding, taking good photos is the best way to keep track of progress. I have been on finasteride for years now with good success and it still seems I shed just as many hairs as before starting treatment.

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys quick update, shedding has decreased a bit , its been 4 months now i guess on finasteride 1mg daily. In terms of thickening, i havent seen much, hair density is slightly below baseline and hairline has diffuse thinned very slightly, probably from the shed or in my mind, not sure. Neways thnks spanishlad, and all the other helpful members who helped me out. I hope we all make it, peace.

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I hope I'm in the same situation by the 4th month. Still haven't passed the third so I still got a lot of time left. I am seeing what looks like the first signs of regrowth though.

Also, when you say the shedding has decreased do you also mean that there are less thick hairs or do you still shed the same proportion to thin looking ones?

lifewithouthair

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I hope I'm in the same situation by the 4th month. Still haven't passed the third so I still got a lot of time left. I am seeing what looks like the first signs of regrowth though.

Also, when you say the shedding has decreased do you also mean that there are less thick hairs or do you still shed the same proportion to thin looking ones?
hey dude, its a good thing your responding well to finasteride so early., my shedding is a mix of medium to miniaturized hairs really, shedding about 20-40 hairs these days, not impressed really in terms of density and stabilization but still better than nothing. Anyways best of luck bro.

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But that means your not shedding any thick hair so that's good. I'm still shedding alot of thick hairs (although i do notice a good proportion of thin miniturised hairs) so i've been losing density. Even if i am showing some signs of regrowth it's not enough to make up for what's been shed yet. Shedding is such an annoying thing especially when your worried it's gonna come back thinner or not come back at all. Also because i was shedding prior to any treatment i get worried that i'm just going through the same male pattern baldness shed.