7 Weeks In On Minoxidil And Wondering If I Should Start Derma Rolling

PostmanGreen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so I started minoxidil 7 weeks ago and have seem an improvement. I have seen loads of videos about derma rolling and minoxidil and was wondering if I add derma rolling to my routine will i start to shed again and be back at square 1. I know I'm only 7 weeks in but have gone past the shedding stage and seen lots of vellus hairs come threw and the shedding has stopped. also would like to know is it safe to apply the minoxidil right after derma rolling. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so I started minoxidil 7 weeks ago and have seem an improvement. I have seen loads of videos about derma rolling and minoxidil and was wondering if I add derma rolling to my routine will i start to shed again and be back at square 1. I know I'm only 7 weeks in but have gone past the shedding stage and seen lots of vellus hairs come threw and the shedding has stopped. also would like to know is it safe to apply the minoxidil right after derma rolling. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using Minoxidil for about 2 months and 1 week, and dermarolling once a week for the last 4 weeks. It should not cause you to shed. You'll want to use a .5 length roller, and you shouldn't apply minoxidil until 12-24 hours after rolling. (I'll explain why I said 12-24 hours) For the first 3 weeks I derma rolled on Tuesday morning, so what I do is apply my monday night minoxidil, then wake up Tuesday and derma roll. Then I wait until the following day before applying minoxidil again. The reason at the beginning is that once you dermaroll you are creating tiny puncture wounds in the scalp and applying minxoxidil into those wounds too soon after could cause too much Minoxidil getting into bloodstream. After a few weeks of getting used to it I started applying my Minoxidil on late Tuesday evenings after a good 12-14 hours has elapsed. I will tell you, derma rolling does cause a bit of tenderness on your scalp. You dont want to draw blood, but you want to create some redness which signifies wounding, which theoretically causes the follicles to get more blood, collegen to form, and healing and scalp circulation.

PostmanGreen

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using Minoxidil for about 2 months and 1 week, and dermarolling once a week for the last 4 weeks. It should not cause you to shed. You'll want to use a .5 length roller, and you shouldn't apply minoxidil until 12-24 hours after rolling. (I'll explain why I said 12-24 hours) For the first 3 weeks I derma rolled on Tuesday morning, so what I do is apply my monday night minoxidil, then wake up Tuesday and derma roll. Then I wait until the following day before applying minoxidil again. The reason at the beginning is that once you dermaroll you are creating tiny puncture wounds in the scalp and applying minxoxidil into those wounds too soon after could cause too much Minoxidil getting into bloodstream. After a few weeks of getting used to it I started applying my Minoxidil on late Tuesday evenings after a good 12-14 hours has elapsed. I will tell you, derma rolling does cause a bit of tenderness on your scalp. You dont want to draw blood, but you want to create some redness which signifies wounding, which theoretically causes the follicles to get more blood, collegen to form, and healing and scalp circulation.

Hi thank you for the reply. I have seen like I said in the post before so many different videos, some say as long as the needles aren't longer than 0.5 to apply the minoxidil straight after or whilst derma rolling, and anything longer to wait 24 hours. then there was a few on youtube suggesting to do what your routine seems to be. There was even a so called hair loss expert saying for maximum results to apply within 30 minutes of derma rolling as the channels are only open for that period. so many different opinions. also if I was to follow your routine, what happens with the minoxidil when you miss it for 24 hours as it says to apply twice daily, will the results not be as good ?

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To improve absorption of minoxidil solution you ought to use a derma stamp. You could use a .5mm or perhaps even a 1mm stamp. You can apply the solution immediately afterwards.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
use a 1.5mm lightly every time before you apply minoxidil, just enough to cause redness no blood. Every week go a bit harder, that's what i do. Some blood spots but nothing like the blood you would get from a pen. Good luck.

Shayan123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
use a 1.5mm lightly every time before you apply minoxidil, just enough to cause redness no blood. Every week go a bit harder, that's what i do. Some blood spots but nothing like the blood you would get from a pen. Good luck.
I’m using derma roller in your idea derma pen is better!???
Actually derma roller wasn’t so effective, (and i use minoxidil and it lost effectiveness so i use derma roller for more effect but it wan’t so effective)
Do you advise buy a derma pen!?
And do doctors that use microneedling use a derma pen!?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m using derma roller in your idea derma pen is better!???
Actually derma roller wasn’t so effective, (and i use minoxidil and it lost effectiveness so i use derma roller for more effect but it wan’t so effective)
Do you advise buy a derma pen!?
And do doctors that use microneedling use a derma pen!?

I used a pen for a while but it was pulling big clumps of my hair so i stopped using it, i would say just stick with a dermaroller.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Which is a quality 0.5mm roller? most rollers are garbage:

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't get how you guys trust that "lightly" is enough. Ligthly can mean a random amount of mm's. Either too soft or too much. How do you guys know you are pressing 1mm or 0.5mm? its a tiny distance and by hand there's no f*****g way you know what you are doing.