*7*'s Story - (24 / diffuse thinner - pics to follow)

*7*

Reaction score
Hey y'all

So it's been 1 yr to date since I started noticing losing hair - basically I went to shower 1 day in Oct. 2008 and noticed a ton of hairs in my hand - and said well this is new. Looking back the thinning probably started 2-3 years ago - I would notice that when I styled my hair the crown seemed thinner - but at the time I thought nothing of it.

Anyways, I am a diffuse thinner with the majority of my thinning at the crown (I estimate that I have lost close to 50% density there - but I still have good coverage - to the point when it's dry it just appears like a widening cowlick/minor thinning - wet is another story though). My hairline has not moved - ie. slight maturing line but the temples are starting to thin - however this is very slight. I suspect my pattern of baldness is coming from the back in. My dad still has a thick full head of hair - he has only started to slightly thin in the temples but he's also 54 years old - my uncles on the other hand were all bald in there 30's - maternal grandfather also bald. So despite the fact I look 95% like my dad - I guess I got my mom's hair genes! Also, I am of Indian descent (asian not Native) and typically my people thin in the crown and come forward.

Here is my exact hair timeline:

Oct 2008 - noticed serious shedding in shower - like hands covered with hair 200+ hairs day after day - never had this prior (although I expect thinning started in early 2007)

Dec. 2008 - went to Derm - still had plenty of hair so derm said to wait it out (thinking shedding may be Telogen Effulvium (sp) - I had started a career in Sept. 2008 and had a head injury in May 2008 which lead to stitches at the back of my head)

Feb. 28, 2009 - went back to the Derm - diagnosed me with male pattern baldness at this point as the hair had worsened since seeing him Dec.2008 - BEGAN THE BIG 3 AT THIS DATE.

So essentially I have been on the Big 3 7.5 months. Over that time I have seen my shedding reduced from the mammoth 200-300 hairs it was prior to starting treatment, however, I still lose a fair bit of hair on a daily basis, and its mostly localized to the crown. The actual amount lost varies on a day to day basis - ie. I have good days were I may shed like 20 or so in the shower and 10 each time I apply minoxidil and then a random 10-15 throughout the day. However, I still have bad days where just slightly rubbing my hand over my hair will dislodge a ton of hair. Overall treatment is definitely doing something to my hair - it is thicker (I alway had really thick hair - but after the male pattern baldness began in Oct. 2008 hair quickly became flimsy and dried/damaged) - however, I feel as though it is just slowing the process down - ie. I am slowly still losing the battle.

I know that everyone says to wait atleat 1 year before adding to your regimen -however, given that my major problem is shedding of hair from the crown I think I may be able to benefit from a topical anti-androgen and really be able to stop my male pattern baldness in its tracks - I guess . With that said; I am looking into adding either Flutimin or topical 5% spironolactone to my regimen. So my question to my fellow brotherin that have been fighting the good fight longer than I have - which of these 2 should be my first addition to my regimen ($ is not a deciding factor for me). Personally, I am considering the following additions if I continue to shed the localized crown hair:

9 Months - Add 5% spironolactone if Still Shedding (to block the Androgen Receptors)

12 Months - Add Flutamin from Eucapil if Still Shedding (to reduce AR's) - this assumes spironolactone may not work

16 Months - Upgrade the minoxidil concentration (I really don't feel minoxidil has done anything for me - but I guess I'll never know considering I started the finasteride and minoxidil at the same time).

I will add pictures shortly.

Thanks for any input - and sorry about the length.

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure finasteride should be good for you as most people in the sucess stories section had diffuse thinning