7 months with my system and it seems it's shedding pretty bad,was good for the first 6

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMG_0451.jpeg
I'm pretty sure the system wasn't visible like this when I first got it and for the first 6 or so months lol ... now I can't even comb it the side ala George clooney look without the system showing... (I have to wear it with my hair down/bangs) I didn't notice this the first 6 months so I'm guessing it's shed so much that now the system shows through... I do find quite a lot of hairs falling out on my clothes or when I comb it . Is this normal for hair systems or she'd like this? I guess 6 months is pretty good for a system

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months is about the max you'll get from a UTS, which it looks like yours is. A 0.03mm system is built to be discreet, so it will be more delicate and have a shorter lifespan. Shedding usually starts at month 4 or 5 for me, and yes it's very normal though the timing and extent will depend on how you have taken care of the hair over the first few months.

In marketing material we're told that UTS systems should be replaced every 6 weeks or so. However, I find that I can get a good 3 or 4 months out of each system, then by month 5 it will definitely need replacing because it will have shed and start to fade, and become coarse and brittle.

One of the techniques I used to make it look OK during the 4+ months is to cut excess base off at the hairline, where the hairs have shed and become too thin. This takes a little practise but it helps to get rid of the overhang that you're seeing in the photo. Use a pair of small nail scissors and cut into the hairline in a scalloped (jagged) pattern - i.e. don't just cut horizontally in a straight line, as this will look more obvious (like it does in your photo!).

Having said that, it could well be time for you to replace the system now!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If it was like that on day one, then thats unacceptable unless its not fully bonded down. 6-month is normal for most systems with daily wear.
Rotating 2 or more, wearer care, sun damage, washing, heat exposure, friction and density are some of the factors that we can control. A pieces knotting quality isnt in our hands - it can vary

Hollywood4life87

My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months is about the max you'll get from a UTS, which it looks like yours is. A 0.03mm system is built to be discreet, so it will be more delicate and have a shorter lifespan. Shedding usually starts at month 4 or 5 for me, and yes it's very normal though the timing and extent will depend on how you have taken care of the hair over the first few months.

In marketing material we're told that UTS systems should be replaced every 6 weeks or so. However, I find that I can get a good 3 or 4 months out of each system, then by month 5 it will definitely need replacing because it will have shed and start to fade, and become coarse and brittle.

One of the techniques I used to make it look OK during the 4+ months is to cut excess base off at the hairline, where the hairs have shed and become too thin. This takes a little practise but it helps to get rid of the overhang that you're seeing in the photo. Use a pair of small nail scissors and cut into the hairline in a scalloped (jagged) pattern - i.e. don't just cut horizontally in a straight line, as this will look more obvious (like it does in your photo!).

Hey, yeah I do have an an ultra thin system now looking it up. Thanks for the tip I'm gonna cut that excess part off the front right now. (Don't have the money for a new system at the moment ).

My hair is about medium pompadour length and I've had a really big problem with knots every couple days, trying to comb them out and I try to do it gently but I lose some hair combing it.. I wonder if I got it shorter would I not have this problem as much? Or a thicker system maybe help This was my first system so I'm still learning .. I've heard theres a special kind of comb but can't find anywhere what it's called ....

Also what glue or tape are you guys using? I've been using the brand "walker ultra tape" GLUE adhesive . It bonds really well ..But I find that it's kinda of clunky and it turns/drys dark black like puddy...,so you can see it right through my system ..is there a white glue that drys on maybe a lighter color because this stuff drys black and under the right light you can see it through my system...

Attachments

• IMG_0581.png
    IMG_0581.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2322.jpeg
    IMG_2322.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 40

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ghost Bond or any such white glue is what you should be using with UTS. 2 layers are enough for a 5 - 10 day hold.

As for the knots, use a daily leave-in spray conditioner before you brush your hair. For example "Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance Conditioner Detangler Spray". This also helps hold hair in a style, so I've never used hairspray or gel etc.

Bear in mind that when you snip away the 'dead' base at the hairline, make sure that the back of your head is still covered sufficiently. The longer hair will cover it anyway I'm guessing.

But really, at 6 months you're at the limits of the system's lifespan.