7 Months With Finasteride And Minoxidil

shuting

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

It is the first time i am posting in the forum. I am 35 years and like 7-8 months ago I felt a huge hair loss, together with loss in density. I always had a lot of hair, and nobody could see anything, but I could feel it. I went to a dermatologist and he said it was a beginning of Androgenetic Alopecia. He gave to me Finasteride (1mg/day) and minoxidil (once per day). I followed the instructions for the last 7 months, but I feel I am losing more and more. I know it should start working now, and I should start feeling soon, but I did not expect to lose so much. I am losing specially in the hairline, which the dermatologist said was fine for my age. But now, I have much less density than before in the front.

I am attaching photos with wet hair. Unfortunately I do not have photos of 7 months ago. Any reply would be appreciated. Any experience with the treatment, if I should make blood analysis to verified my DHT level and see if Finasteride is working, if somebody recomends Dutasteride better... Anything,

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_8515.jpg
    IMG_8515.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_8513.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 785

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
man are you kidding ? you have amazing hair !!

why are you applying minoxidil ? where do you apply it ? did you shed with it at the beginning ?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like normal wet hair to me

shuting

My Regimen
Reaction score
man are you kidding ? you have amazing hair !!

why are you applying minoxidil ? where do you apply it ? did you shed with it at the beginning ?
Thanks!
The dermatologist said I should apply, and I just followed the instructions. I apply in the crown and In the front too. Shouldn't I?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, I am living in Spain, but our friend Hairblues live in NYC and can give you information.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
so you have been applying minoxidil on your crown for 7 month ? you didn't shed too much ?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My Dermatologist for my hair is DR McCay-Wiggans at Columbia Presbyterian...
https://www.columbiadoctors.org/julian-m-mackay-wiggan-md

I referred someone else to her on the forum but she no longer takes new patients--she does a lot of research (works with Christiano on Jax inhibitors I think)

You can call her office and see if they can recommend someone else who is knowledgable about androgenic alopecia that you need to get biopsy.

I would stick with someone associated with Columbia if you can (if your insurance covers it they list it on her page I think)--because they probably have fantastic derma-pathologist reading biopsies.
Probably up on research etc.

I know hair transplant Doctors who also treat hair loss but they wont be covered by insurance or do biopsies so try and see a Dermatologist who takes your insurance first.

shuting

My Regimen
Reaction score
My Dermatologist for my hair is DR McCay-Wiggans at Columbia Presbyterian...
https://www.columbiadoctors.org/julian-m-mackay-wiggan-md

I referred someone else to her on the forum but she no longer takes new patients--she does a lot of research (works with Christiano on Jax inhibitors I think)

You can call her office and see if they can recommend someone else who is knowledgable about androgenic alopecia that you need to get biopsy.

I would stick with someone associated with Columbia if you can (if your insurance covers it they list it on her page I think)--because they probably have fantastic derma-pathologist reading biopsies.
Probably up on research etc.

I know hair transplant Doctors who also treat hair loss but they wont be covered by insurance or do biopsies so try and see a Dermatologist who takes your insurance first.

thanks. I will call tomorrow. My insurance is listed in the web, so even better. Btw, any opinion abut the photos?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks. I will call tomorrow. My insurance is listed in the web, so even better. Btw, any opinion abut the photos?

It looks fine to me but I thought mine was thinning for years before anyone else could notice because my hair started super dense.
People with dense hair loose it too and its a double edge sword, on one side its great because cosmetically we get away with it for longer (unless super aggressive hair loss), but other side is people keep telling us for years they dont see what we are talking about and in my case was not taken seriously for YEARS.

SO if you feel you are thinning GO to Dr who knows about alopecia and let them examine you and do a biopsy and advice you from there.