7.5 Months On Finasteride, Still Shedding Like Crazy. Need Reassurance

Y2J

Reaction score
I have been on Finasteride for the last 7.5 months. Continued to shed approx 100-150 hairs/day till the 5th month mark. At around the start of the 6th month the shed dramatically dropped to approx 30 hairs a day. I was extremely happy at that point thinking finasteride finally kicked in. Hair felt great and I could brush my hair several times a day with little to no shed.

The happiness was however short lived as at the start of 7th month the shed came back as if with a vengeance and I am shedding heavily at the moment, from anywhere to 150-300 hairs per day.

Man it feels like sh*t! Just don't know what's happening. When I compare the pictures, I feel there's further thinning though diffuse over the entire top. The frontal region has especially thinned. I also notice some thinning on crown.

I plan on sticking on to finasteride for at least 2 years before coming to any conclusion but its really tough seeing hairs fall everyday. I also plan on getting my DHT levels checked to compare it prior to starting finasteride. I would keep you updated on the events for sure.

PS: I ve been on and off minoxidil 10 per cent. Restarted it approx a week back.

Please Help.

Thanks

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been on Finasteride for the last 7.5 months. Continued to shed approx 100-150 hairs/day till the 5th month mark. At around the start of the 6th month the shed dramatically dropped to approx 30 hairs a day. I was extremely happy at that point thinking finasteride finally kicked in. Hair felt great and I could brush my hair several times a day with little to no shed.

The happiness was however short lived as at the start of 7th month the shed came back as if with a vengeance and I am shedding heavily at the moment, from anywhere to 150-300 hairs per day.

Man it feels like sh*t! Just don't know what's happening. When I compare the pictures, I feel there's further thinning though diffuse over the entire top. The frontal region has especially thinned. I also notice some thinning on crown.

I plan on sticking on to finasteride for at least 2 years before coming to any conclusion but its really tough seeing hairs fall everyday. I also plan on getting my DHT levels checked to compare it prior to starting finasteride. I would keep you updated on the events for sure.

PS: I ve been on and off minoxidil 10 per cent. Restarted it approx a week back.

Please Help.

Thanks
I have the same situation as you. After 1 month less shedding but 3 months later i am losing 300+ hairs a day. On it for 4 months now. Like it stopped working.

Do you have sides?

Y2J

Reaction score
Ho
I have the same situation as you. After 1 month less shedding but 3 months later i am losing 300+ hairs a day. On it for 4 months now. Like it stopped working.

Do you have sides?
Hi .

No I've had absolutely no sides whatsoever. I feel sides seldom occur and it's mostly psychological.

jc3303

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
your shedding could be due to you starting and stopping min, min is known to cause sheds. It's best to just pick your treatment/treatments and stick with it, rather than changing doses and treatments you're using.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if people talk about 'increased shedding' that doesn't stop or just 'normal shedding/hairloss' that doesn't stop. People should tell how much hair they are losing before going on treatment.

Y2J

Reaction score
I am wondering if people talk about 'increased shedding' that doesn't stop or just 'normal shedding/hairloss' that doesn't stop. People should tell how much hair they are losing before going on treatment.

I did NOT notice any increase in shedding until the 7th month. Till the 5th month the shed was the same as before starting finasteride at around 100-150/day. Thereafter the shed was dramatically down to 30. In the 7th month the shed gradually started to increase. There are still some days though when i lose a lot less(approx 30, the happy hair days!!! ) where as on some days I lose at around 150-300. On the days when i lose 150-300 i comb my hair a lot and also usually rub my hair (medium to rigorous).

The thing i regret the most is not starting finasteride as soon as i noticed signs of male pattern baldness in May 2014, obviously due to the hysteria and fear mongering over side effects across various forums.

Y2J

Reaction score
If the heavy shedding persists after 9 months you're most likely a non responder.

There are posts where people claim they shed heavily at intervals, but still maintained their hair long term. I plan on holding on to finasteride atleast till the 2 year mark. There is not much outside finasteride that can help.

I've started micro needling too. There was an Indian study, wherein there were two groups, one administered topical Minoxidil, the other with micro needling and Minoxidil. In the latter group, the efficacy was 5 time.

Would keep this thread updated.

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score

Hello, don't wait 2 years, after 1 year, if nothing changes (hair loss stop, hair growth), then stop it.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are posts where people claim they shed heavily at intervals, but still maintained their hair long term. I plan on holding on to finasteride atleast till the 2 year mark. There is not much outside finasteride that can help.

I've started micro needling too. There was an Indian study, wherein there were two groups, one administered topical Minoxidil, the other with micro needling and Minoxidil. In the latter group, the efficacy was 5 time.

Would keep this thread updated.
How is your situation now?