<6month, Feller, 22yrs old, 3k, FUT

t_awry

Reaction score
Long time lurker; first time poster. Some truly "interesting" fellows have wafted through these e-hallowed halls. I had a somewhat precise post written up, which haphazardly got destroyed by the sadistic whims of technology....so, I'm going to whip this one up ASAP and try to remember as many of the pieces as I can.

**before/afters, with the exception of the last two, aren't "styled", though the bathroom hairline shots have some wax to help expose the hairline. If/when I do another update I'll include some outdoor shots in the sun, and, perhaps, if I do enough updates I can stop using fake tanners on the weekends! :gay:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6176 ... 010en2.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3950 ... 008de7.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4017 ... 001kx3.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1830 ... 003pc5.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5610 ... 004dk1.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/915/ ... 005yo2.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2634 ... 004rv8.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3635/6 ... 005yo1.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8969/6 ... 003qv6.jpg

I must say, fwiw, that I've often read this forum w/ simultaneous delight and disgust; observing NW1.5's and other such age:loss normalities taug it up, bemoaning their cursed fate, squealing, has brought me some wry (dark) humor. My loss has been disastrous in a variety of ways; and, while I have recovered some of my locks I have yet to fully recover from some of my personal, self-destruction. Nonetheless, I've reached a place of sanity and comfort that I thought I never might reach. At the very least, I hope my story (as I've pictorally shown here) can bring some sense of hope to some.

Btw, I occasionally have humored myself, setting lines as to whether Hyperbolic-Hair Person X would'v off'd themselves at, at my age, with my loss..... :youbet:

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats t_awry! Nice improvement. You look 22 now.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Given your age, aren't you worried about eventually running out of donor?

t_awry

Reaction score
Thx. Well, my one fear is not being able to get "perfect" restoration if I were to reach NW6dom. This would also have to coincide with there being no new developments to augment donor supply (be it a FUE advancement or cloning). That said, if I were to reach NW6dom and current tecnique and technology stayed static, I have enough donor to get modest (at the very least) crown coverage. My pattern is that of a NW5, fwiw.

Feller gave me a truly excellent hairline; perfect combination of actual conservatism, but at the time same being suiting, and giving a boost to the overall "illusion". It wasn't like he densepacked me some ridiculous hairline, or gave me excessive density in parts. The hairline is really extremely practical.

To be honest, though, even if I knew there was a 90% chance I would go NW6 -- even NW7 --, and I had average donor, I still would have went the route of hair transplants one way or another (most likely).

A critical factor when getting a hair transplant at a young age is going to a Doctor who will give you the perfect ratio of risk:reward. This takes ethics, devotion/care, and some ingenuity.

JustinM71

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Thana for posting. Always enjoy reading all your intelligent, witty posts elsewhere on another forum.
You look great! Good to see a smile in the last one too, I'd be smiling as well.

bucs220

Reaction score
Magnificent t_awry

I'm planning to have the same procedure within a year. I have some questions if you don't mind...

Are you using: finasteride? minoxidil? Or both same time?
When you first got the procedure done what shampoo were you using?
I'm 30 & thinking of having 2500, fut? What kind of range might I expect to pay for this type of procedure. Sorry to inundate you with questions. Just very impressed by your results...

Congrats & CHEERS!

t_awry

Reaction score
Thx yall; my next update will be ~8months, I think, but, fwiw, I'm noticing improvements week2week. If I end up with anything approaching 40% increase in perceived density when all is said and done I might have to cajole Feller to move to Vermont with me so I can marry him -- legally, of course. :freak:

Bucs:

-- On finasteride, 1.5 years, and I started minoxidil a week ago. My crown/vertex is definitely a bit thin (not actually noticeable, however, 90% of the time); but, my hairloss really has not changed much the past ~1.5 years.

**I went through an extrordinarily stressful, if not traumatic period of time, which I firmly believe led to me having such aggressive hairloss. Not that I wouldn't have manifested in due time, but that it occurred SO rapidly....

-- When I first got the procedure done I was using Revita shampoo, and a bit of Nizoral (which I have since stopped). Currently, I use Toppik's shampoo and conditioner, and occasionally Nanothick (which I should probably use more frequently).

-- For 2500g.....~10k I'm pretty sure, but not positive; I'm ridiculously aloof to the point of ignorance on some matters, and I don't even recall what I exactly paid for my hair transplant, but I'm pretty sure it was 10kish for my 3k. While price was not a major consideration in my decision, Feller's pricing was quite "competitive"; he has since raised his rates a bit, but I believe it is still "competitive".

If you have any more Q's shoot 'em over; I've yet to acclimate to my newfound locks and still living the life of a sexless hermit and am online quite a bit twiddling my thumbs. As long as I don't get hit by a condom truck my first night out on the town w/ my new mop I'll be OK..... :woot:

bucs220

Reaction score
Thanks for the info t_awry!

I hope my procedure turns out as anywhere as good as yours. Did you halt the Nizoral due to over drying of the scalp? I know a lot of people swear by it in their regimens. I'll stay tuned to your updates. & U definitely get out and show off those locks homey!

Continued success!

BUCS

Reaction score
FUT is 'Strip', right ?

Truly Wonderful Results... Congratulations...

By the way, from the day of the surgery, how long did it take for you to grow that hair ?

t_awry

Reaction score
FUT = strip, ya.

The pics I posted are just a bit under 6months from the day of surgery, so about 6months to grow the hair. As can be seen from my pre-op, I had some mild diffusion remaining, which is OK filler, but for all intensive purposes Feller had to rebuild an entire hairline and frontal 1/3rd. If you mean how long did it take me till I looked "normal"; about 5 weeks post-op.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't get why the before pics are labled 3/10/2004 and the afters are 6/6/2004 and you say it took 6 months to grow in?

Also, out of curiosity, where'd you get 10k to spend on hair? Amazingly lucrative job? Understanding parents? Selling drugs?

Feller would be my first choice by far if I ever chose to go this route - grats on your success.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks great t_awry! although the date stamps on your photos thrown me a little.

All the best

Lucky

t_awry

Reaction score
Thx. Ya, the dates on all my pics are 100% off. My camera isn't "synched", I suppose; I'm not really sure, but I'll make an attempt to fix the datestamping. I have zero sophistication in using cameras, though.

10k on hair....no drug selling, but drug usage has been a boon to my work ethic and combined w/ "working" for the past 4years instead of being in school has given me some easy-come easy-go bucks.

My parents are extremely understanding, though, and were more than willing to compensate me for donating such sh*t genes.....I told them "don't sweat it" and they seemed pleased by my maturity and independance....little did they know I was taking one step backwards for two forwards and will implore them to pony upfor my cloned locks! Either that or a seat on one of Richard Branson's space-cruisers.....still undecided, and, I suppose, it really depends on how long finasteride can hold down the barbarians at the gates.

restonwebdev

Reaction score
The success is great; my concern with all of this is how, at our age (well, I'm 28), we can't really be sure how our balding will progress. Is there a point where an hair transplant just doesn't look good at all because the space between grafts makes everything appear so diffuse?

When you get an hair transplant/FUT, is the hair truly permanent? When you wash your hair do you still see gobs of poor, uprooted hairs in your hands? I hate that feeling. :(

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
restonwebdev said:
When you get an hair transplant/FUT, is the hair truly permanent? When you wash your hair do you still see gobs of poor, uprooted hairs in your hands? I hate that feeling. :(

Er, nope.