6 year update (26 years old)

chris alldridge

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all.
I’ve been on finasteride for 6 years now (26yo) and thought that people might be interested to know how I’m getting on.
The big question: ED… honestly, I’ve been on it since 19 so I’m not really sure! Most of the time - no problems whatsoever, but it’s not like it was when I was 14 - is it for anyone though?
I take 5 tablets a week and don’t use minoxidil. There has been minimal recession in 6 years - so little that you honestly wouldn’t notice at all. My cousins were all bald by this age and I would be too were it now for finasteride. Instead, I have a full head of hair and they’re all rather jealous.
Interesting side note for you: I’m convinced that finasteride halted beard development. My beard was filling out when I went on it & all my cousins had think beards by 26 - not me - it’s the same patchy facial hair I’ve had since 19… and they all started balding at 19 like me so go figure! I don’t mind all that much, though it would be nice to sport a thick, full beard.
Hope this was of some interest!

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update man, I'm glad thinks have worked out for you. It's always nice to hear the success stories here, lots of people leave after they stabilize or regrow their hair and that feeds an aura of negativity around this subforum. I've got to update my story here too

chris alldridge

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Have you noticed that your beard is getting sparse?
Sorry for not coming back to you sooner! No change in beard density really. What I would say is that all the men in my family line could grow beards by age 22. I was well on the way but when I started treatment, my beard stopped filling out. I don’t know if there’s any literature behind it - it could just be coincidence!

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Hey man I’m 25 and been on finasteride 7 years now since age 18. It’s maintained my diffuse thinning very well and id say my hair is the same when I started.

Unfortunately my erections have really gone downhill. Not sure if I can blame finasteride but I doubt it is helping. At this point I’m tolerating the sexual sides to keep my hair even though that means I can’t be intimate / date at all. Shitty situation here but I’m glad the hairloss hasn’t progressed.

Also definitely halted facial / body hair development I’d say. My beard hasn’t filled in at all since age 18. Very patchy and it hasn’t continued to develop in my 20s. I am curious to know how different I would look if I hadn’t taken finasteride. It’s weird to be at this point where I’ve been on finasteride for my entire adult life. I don’t know if I’ll ever quit or what.