6 Months On Finasterid - Extreme Shedding And Below Baseline

NeedUrKnowledge

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm 29 years old and diffuse thinning.
6 months ago I jumped on finasteride, months 3-4 I think I saw improvement which made me optimistic.

However now from month 5-6 I'm shedding crazy and my hair looks worse then ever.
When I fingercomb over the sink the hairs are falling like no tomorrow.

I don't know what do to and I need advice.
Should I just continue to take it another 6 months, you think this will make sense?
Maybe Finasterid is to weak for me? I think I started balding 3 years ago at the age of 26.

Hopeless at the moment :(

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm 29 years old and diffuse thinning.
6 months ago I jumped on finasteride, months 3-4 I think I saw improvement which made me optimistic.

However now from month 5-6 I'm shedding crazy and my hair looks worse then ever.
When I fingercomb over the sink the hairs are falling like no tomorrow.

I don't know what do to and I need advice.
Should I just continue to take it another 6 months, you think this will make sense?
Maybe Finasterid is to weak for me? I think I started balding 3 years ago at the age of 26.

Hopeless at the moment :(
I am not in Fina but of what I've reqd it's early for you to conclude. If you di not have any sides and are willing to commit to this treatment then only after about a year you can draw some conclusions

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Continued finasteride administration does seem to be effective. As for me, no regrowth after 6 months, maybe a little bit below baseline even, but there isn't really an alternative.

Shedding isn't always the best indicator that you're balding. You sure you have significantly lost more hair (as in, photo-significant change)? I mean, as for me, I had times that I kept going to the mirror thinking again and again: "it got worse... then doubting if it really was worse, wait, maybe I gained a hair there?"

My advice: do everything you can do to stop your condition, then accept that there is nothing more you can do what you are doing. Accept that in most people that do everything they can, it gets better; why not your situation?

Anyway, obsessing about your hair would be considered a vice to most philosophers, and why, after all, let it affect your happiness? Anyway, even if you are 'slowly' losing ground, there is reason for optimism. You are only administrating finasteride. You can still use Minoxidil for additional fortification, or once a week dutasteride or something. Even though I would wait out at least a year before drastically changing regimens. Plus, time will only add concoctions that might benefit you, so there is always reason for optimism. Best of luck.