6 month update on minoxidil

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a little over 6 months on minoxidil for me. Sorry no before and after pictures. I think my hair overall has improved. I can't say exactly by haircount, but definately by good hair days. I honestly can say, I am having a lot more good hair days then bad hair days than before I started the minoxidil. My exact hair line when I pull back my hair seems like it got worse, but right before my hairline seems like it got better, which makes my "hairline" look better then before. I feel as though my crown has filled in more. But that I still have a lot more to go in that department. So I have to say overall, I've had modest improvement at the 6 month mark. Nothing drastic. Though I have to say I've been getting compliments left and right, I remember just a month ago, I saw a former co-worker that I have not seen in almost a year, and he said, "WHAT THE HELL, YOU HAVE HAIR?!?!" That was the ultimate compliment. I also do feel more confident about myself(I don't know if that's just how I'm better coping with the hairloss now and/or cuz the minoxidil is working and giving me a bit more peace of mind) And with the "shedding" if you wanna call it that, has been on and off, I shed the most in the first 2 months, now it's on and off, some days i shed a lot, some days i don't lose a hair. It is still a pain to put on minoxidil, I hate putting it on, it's oily greasy etc etc, but I come to terms that it comes with the territory. Again not drastic improvements, but I think it has improved to the point where I can manage my hair better, instead of it being this one thin mess.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
why arent you on finasteride? minoxidil is just providing an extra offset of growth but isnt stopping the fundamental balding process. if you want to keep the hair youve grown from minoxidil and not lose any more, get on finasteride.

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
PS.

I'm figuring people are gonna ask me, "Why only minoxidil?" I'm just using minoxidil because I've used finasteride before for approx a month, I couldn't take the MASSIVE shed, and not to mention the excrutiating pain in the testicle, as well as the decreased libido. And tha'ts just the beginning. BUt I don't want this to discourage other people from using finasteride. finasteride has worked for many many many people on this board and off this board. I would say definately give it a try at the very least. Personally, it was too much for me to take with the massive shed and side effects.

And also, I don't take nizoral or T-gel b/c I feel like it made my hair look either really oily or really dry. And I don't really have the itchiness problem much anymore, although my scalp does definately itch, I just feel like the itch is very slight that I don't need to use the anti-dandruff shampoos with the consideration of how they make my hair look after I use them

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you want to slow down hairloss use some spironolactone,just as effective as finasteride without the side effects.Although smells if you get the liquid instead of the lotion.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
I could agree with the shedding part being a hassle while on finasteride. Hopefully the new hairs will be healthier after the shed, or so I've heard..