5mg finasteride TWICE a day? What do you think?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
1mg is virtually as effective as 5mg as a treatment for both BPH and male pattern baldness. Finasteride's flat dose response curve is the same for all locations in the body that it inhibits 5ar. Being an enzyme inhibitor, that's the way it works chemically. Merck's decision to use 5mg for BPH and 1mg for male pattern baldness is essentially an arbitrary one, seeing as both doses inhibit virtually the exact same amount of DHT.
Dutasteride is indeed effective at very low doses. Taking 0.1mg of dutasteride a day (or one tablet every five days) will be about equally effective as taking finasteride at the standard dose.

No, 1mg was not effective enough which is why they use 5mg for BPH. For disorders we are not so much targeting overall DHT reduction but targeting DHT production in certain tissues.

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know the precise in-and-outs of finasteride. All I know is that a lot of people get sides on 1mg, which leads me to believe that taking 80mg would be completely and utterly insane.

You might be fine, but equally you might end up with man boobs.
Ahh, back in the days when people took 5 mg finasteride serious.

Nowadays it's oral spironolactone, estradiol, etc.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, so I recently got a haircut with my barber and he confirmed my thoughts...I am losing ground. I didnt even have to bring it up...he was cutting away and was like "heh....one side is receded back further than the other...."

Anyways, since generic proscar is available now considerably cheaper than finasteride, I was thinking about going straight to taking a 5mg dose twice a day (~12 hours apart). I came up with this idea after reviewing the graphs Bryan has on his site.

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/dutasteride2b.htm

My idea is to reduce that "sawtooth" variability of dht as much as I can.

Am I going to be wasting my time guys? Let me know what you think.

With experience in doing this years ago myself it did work but for a short period of time. I didn’t use the dosage you’re considering but I did go from one pill of 1mg finasteride to two pills one in the morning and one at night. It worked for me but not for very long. I guess my body became really good at fighting it or whatever. Just giving you my own experience. If you want to do it no one can stop you. And good luck. Cause I don’t regret anything that I have done in an attempt to keep ground.