.5mg..Effective enough? Sides?

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think that taking .5mg of propecia will be enough for someone to maintain hair with little or no side effects? Anyone using this regiment? Opinions?

G

yes it will be enough to maintain hair in most people for a few years. you should get less sides from 0.5 mg than from 1 mg if you get any from the latter.

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan...why may I ask do you say maintain hair for only a few years? I've heard allegations of finasteride losing its effectiveness after awhile. Not sure if this well founded or not? Explanation?

docj077

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of propecia losing its effectiveness as a drug in the sense that it stops inhibiting DHT production. I think it's more related to the fact that even though propecia inhibits DHT production, it doesn't inhibit all of it. This means that the processes that actually cause male pattern baldness continue unchecked, but at a slower rate and really not all that noticeable to the person taking the drug.

So, the process continues and you continue to go through sheds until after a particular shed the hair simply can not grow in that area anymore as the downstream responses to DHT have finally caught up with you.

Thus, you lose that hair that you might have regrown and you see a decrease in propecia effectiveness as the inevitable catches up to you and your scalp continues to have the perifollicular fibrosis and collagen deposition that many hair loss researchers claim is the final cause of hair loss.

That's just a thought, however, and it hasn't been proven.

G

Doctor,

I think avodart 0.5 mg per day can actually stop some male pattern baldness sufferers from balding indefinitely. So they flatline in essence. I know that there are other androgens but they are less potent than DHT supposedly. College thinks some people could flatline as well. The 98.5% type II blocking may be a high enough percentage for this. What do you think?

RSG

Reaction score
Hey Ugh,

I switched from 1mg to .5mg due to sides. Its been exactly a month now since ive been on .5mg. My hair started shedding very very badly once i started .5mg. However over the last 4 days the shedding has died down a lot. In relation to sides, none so far (fingers crossed).