50-100 hairs theory...

jeffsss

Reaction score
I'm not saying that human scalp doesnt lose 50-100 hairs per day.. what i am saying is that it's not all lost in the shower..
I had a co-worker test my theory for me. this guy has a head of hair like a 15 year old.
i told him to wash his hair rigioursly* and report how many hairs he found in his hands..
2. he found 2 hairs..
i also asked him to style his hair with gel or something along those lines.. he found ZERO..

I think that it's possible that we lose that many hairs per day.. however.. it's not all at once.

50-100 hairs per day theory is a good way to "manage the patient"

my thought of the day.

Britannia

Reaction score
Yes but you have no idea what stage in the hair growth cycle your colleagues hair follicles were in. A better question to ask him would be "does the amount of hair you lose in the shower vary over time?". I guarentee it would.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Britannia said:
Yes but you have no idea what stage in the hair growth cycle your colleagues hair follicles were in. A better question to ask him would be "does the amount of hair you lose in the shower vary over time?". I guarentee it would.

what? 0-10?

I guarantee that a person who is not suffering from male pattern baldness is going to really lose 50 hairs in the shower.. that is just ridiculous.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
I think that it's possible that we lose that many hairs per day.. however.. it's not all at once.

Of course not.

jeffsss said:
I guarantee that a person who is not suffering from male pattern baldness is going to really lose 50 hairs in the shower.. that is just ridiculous.

Did you mean to say that he's NOT going to lose that many?

BTW, I remember a post once from a guy who talked about how his girlfriend had INCREDIBLY thick hair, and yet she lost TONS of it all the time. He said that after she took a shower, her hairs would be all over the bathtub, the sink, the floor, etc.! :D So it _is_ possible to lose that many, even for "normal", non-balding people...

Bryan

jeffsss

Reaction score
Bryan said:
jeffsss said:

Of course not.

jeffsss said:

Did you mean to say that he's NOT going to lose that many?

BTW, I remember a post once from a guy who talked about how his girlfriend had INCREDIBLY thick hair, and yet she lost TONS of it all the time. He said that after she took a shower, her hairs would be all over the bathtub, the sink, the floor, etc.! :D So it _is_ possible to lose that many, even for "normal", non-balding people...

Bryan

yes, that's what i meant to say.

Just sucks.. male pattern baldness sucks.. I'd pay 50k for the cure.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
if i wet my hands and then run them through my 6 yr old nephews hair, i get 1 or 2 hairs.

i too reckon this 100 hairs a day theory is bullshit. and im sure he will suffer from male pattern baldness as his mother and fathers side do.

sure some people can loose 100 hairs a day and not have male pattern baldness or some other pathological conidtion, but its prolly very very rare.

my conclusion - loosing like 100 hairs a day is NOT normal.

and womens hair is very long and thick, so even if they loose like 30/40 hairs it appears like sooo much. and sometimes women tend to go a couple of days without washing their hair to avoid the hassle, so over say 3 days, even loosing 90-120 hairs wud be non-pathological, but look like it was cos there's so much hair clogging everything up.

so using the inverse of that, ie to present a woman who looses lots of hair and assert she hasnt got male pattern baldness, in order to support the argument that loosing 100 hairs a day is normal doesnt hold.

unless done scientifically of course

urban

Reaction score
this 50 -100 hairs per day is nonsense.

If you think you're losing your hair you are. I remember the first time i started to lose my hair know one could tell me otherwise. Even when i was losing less than 100 hairs daily, the hair at my temples was coming out with ease.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
a six year old probably doesn't have much of his adult hair in telogen yet. The anagen cycle can be longer than 6 years so clearly that example does not hold as a valid example of someone not losing 100 hairs. The 100 number is an average or a typical ammount. Different people have different hair cycles and thus shed different amounts at different times. Finding one example that agrees with this or one that doesn't isn't worth squat. It was studied and the results showed that 100 is about the number of hairs shed each day. If you disbeleive it so much then find real evidence to the contrary.

With a fine toothed brush I can probably get close to a hundred hairs to come out of my back and sides and about 30 or so off of my chest.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree that losing over 100 hairs at one time is excessive if you wash your hair daily... Just keep in mind that only people who feel they are losing their hair count hairs!

Every morning when I wake up the first thing I do after I let my dogs out is to brush my hair over the sink. Last few days I average about 10 hairs in the sink and an additional 10 - 20 hairs after rigorously washing my hair. Pretty much the rest of the day I wont get any more hair fall out... Maybe 1 - 5 more that I notice if I brush my hair over the sink again before bed.

My point:

If I really wasnt looking for these hairs I would never see em. Most people blow-dry their hair after waking up or wash their hair while taking a shower. If you blow-dry your hair the blow-dryer is going to blow away any loose hairs. If you wash your hair while taking a shower a lot of hair is going to go right down the drain without notice.

I *do* see Jeffsss's hairloss (based on his pics he posted) but I dont think 30 hairs lost during morning grooming is excessive. I think what matters the most is how those hairs come back. In the case of men with male pattern baldness those hairs come back smaller hence they provide less coverage/volume. I dont think male pattern baldness and shedding necessarily always go hand in hand. I think maybe when a bout of male pattern baldness comes on there might be a spike in shed hairs which then draws one's attention and focus to the problem... Which can then magnify it.

I can tell you that *every* gf I ever had could always get around 10 - 20 hairs in her brush each and every time she combed it.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
all this theory is saying is that it is possible for a non-male pattern baldness sufferer to loose up to 150-200 hairs a day and still not go bald...

as for male pattern baldness sufferers...loosing 150-200 hairs says nothing about how fast you will go bald...it's all about the shrinkage time.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i think it different from day to day depend on the cycle.

both my two elder brothers are also losing alot of hair in the shower yet they still have full head of hair. guess i am the unlucky one.

i agree with jimmystanley. it not about how many hair you lose daily. but is your hair getting thinner everytime it regrow?

counting hair in the shower is not really an accurate guide or wise thing to do. most of the time it only get people worry. i am trying my best not to count but must admit it is pretty hard to do so. i try to do my treatment and believe in the science behind it so i can live my life normally and happily without worry too much about the result daily

fallout

Reaction score
daily loss

My daily loss seems insignificant (10-15), but if noneof that is replaced/ recycled, in a few years, there willl be some noticeabe loss. with the products that Ihave used successfully in the last 25 years, I notice more hair on my head as opposed to reduced daily fallout.

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
all this theory is saying is that it is possible for a non-male pattern baldness sufferer to loose up to 150-200 hairs a day and still not go bald...

as for male pattern baldness sufferers...loosing 150-200 hairs says nothing about how fast you will go bald...it's all about the shrinkage time.
:thumbs_up: