5+ years on propecia stories?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I am curious how people who have been on finasteride 5+ years are doing now.
How many years on it and what are results?

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on finasteride/dutasteride from dec. 2001-jun 2005. After all was said and done, I had to pay 5,300 for the removal of gyno, and I suffered from horrible sides from about 2004 to july 2006. It took over a year after I stopped finasteride/dutasteride to get my libido back. The first few years I had sides, but they weren't that bad, could still function sexually. The effect it had on my hair was incredible, not just maintenance, actual regrowth. Was it worth it?....sighs, I dunno...maybe.

Airforce1

Reaction score
Man are you serious...wow thats pretty scary why dont you hear more ppl complaining about this after long periods of use. I was considering using propecia but i keep getting 2nd thoughts.

abcdefg

Reaction score
yeah i have second thoughts too. I might just use saw palmetto which seemed to help me but gave me sexual sides. I just think propecia might be to powerful for me. I dont understand why theres no topicals yet that we can use instead of propecia for DHT. propecia seems dangerous when things like that happen.

Pondle

Reaction score
Saw Palmetto is no use whatsoever. There's no evidence it can reduce serum DHT. There's only one study on its effectiveness for hairloss and that was rubbished.

As for the gyno, it can happen but is very rare (<2% of users, see the table below). You can combat gyno with estrogen blockers. You can also take Grape Seed Extract which is an aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase is the enzyme that converts androgens to estrogen.

Proscar (5mg finasteride/day) adverse reactions
Proscaradverseexperiences.gif

Avodart adverse reactions
Dutadversereactions.jpg

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm going on 6 years of finasteride (Propecia):
-Have fathered two sons
-Maintiained for a while, but it seemed to regress after 4-5 years
-Added nizoral and Foam (big3) and then hair looked much better, see link to my pics
-Have taken Horny Goat Weed here and there to increase libido, it does work after 4 weeks or so.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
klink said:
I'm going on 6 years of finasteride (Propecia):
-Have fathered two sons
-Maintiained for a while, but it seemed to regress after 4-5 years
-Added nizoral and Foam (big3) and then hair looked much better, see link to my pics
-Have taken Horny Goat Weed here and there to increase libido, it does work after 4 weeks or so.

aprox. how many years did the balding process begin before you started the finasteride?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont care what anyone tells me. Saw palmetto helped me. I dont really care if theres hard evidence or not. It gave me finasteride like side effects and slowed my hairloss down a lot. I have seen some crappy studies saying it works and some saying it doesnt work. I think for me it worked.