5 months picture update after hair transplant

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can see my progress (?) in the link
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/techprof/

click on the hair transplant pictures or 5 months update to see the progress. Some of the pictures show white hairs because of the foam (I had taken most of the pictures after letting my hairs dry after the shower). I took few pictures after applying foam and styling the hairs.

These pictures were taken with flash. My wife believes that my hairs look better than these pictures. This gives me hope. It is only 5 months. I can see some sprouts even in the crown pictures.

This may not be significant for manyy posters here, however this has boosted my self confidence as I do believe that I look much better now compared to before hair transplant. I can't wait for the one year mark.

I hope 4200 grafts is more than what have grown so far. If not, the density is not going to be enough.

I have given up on xandrox 15, 12.5, and other products from dr. Lee. ( I have 100-200$ worth of his products with me which are going waste).
I am using his shampoo only.

My regimen is much simpler now, 0.5 mg dutasteride per day, MSM 3g (only for few more months), rogaine foam twice a day, tricomin 1ml and proxiphe 0.5 ml every day. Cortizone twice or thrice a week on the crown. Alternate between Lee's shampoo and tricomin shampoo.

Guys, please let me know if I should be worrided now.

BTW, this is my 1000th post.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Looking great so far. You DO look younger.

I don't see ANY reason to be concerned at this point.

Goodluck, Techprof.

CCS

Reaction score
at least with your front looking good, you don't have to see it when you look in the mirror. How many grafts total have you had with all your surgeries?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ccs, 4200.
I never had any grafts for my hairline or the front 1/5 of my scalp.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aplunk, thanks.

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
techprof,
It is premature to ascertain results at the pubescent stage of 5 months. You should exhibit a great majority of growth within the following months, thus not to worry. Dr. A has shown quality strip results in the past and I'm certain you'll be one of them. All the best!

Ciao!

NedFlanders

Established Member
Reaction score
I read your "hair loss history" and I am surprised you went from a Norwood 4 to Norwood 2 using Rogaine.

CCS

Reaction score
ETERNAL HOPE said:
techprof,
It is premature to ascertain results at the pubescent stage of 5 months. You should exhibit a great majority of growth within the following months, thus not to worry. Dr. A has shown quality strip results in the past and I'm certain you'll be one of them. All the best!

Ciao!

I hope so since I'm still not seeing growth at 5.5 months.

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I hope so since I'm still not seeing growth at 5.5 months.

CCS,
Do you not have any growth whatsoever at this stage? Or little growth? Who was your doctor?

CCS

Reaction score
I have about 50 hairs 1/4 inch below the old hair line, and nothing above that. Well, some of the hairs are in the temples, but they show where the rest of the hairs should have been. I've been watching my hair 10x a day since surgery, been watching the pink areas fade, and know where the hairs should be. I know what the spacing of hairs was before. I never saw any new hairs sprout out. The density is the same. My doctor was one of the best ones talked about on HairLossTalk.com. The last time I had a procedure with her, the hair sprouted in 2.5 months. Now I'm at 5.5. The hairs that did sprout did so at the 2.5 month mark.

G

I have about 50 hairs 1/4 inch below the old hair line, and nothing above that. Well, some of the hairs are in the temples, but they show where the rest of the hairs should have been. I've been watching my hair 10x a day since surgery, been watching the pink areas fade, and know where the hairs should be. I know what the spacing of hairs was before. I never saw any new hairs sprout out. The density is the same. My doctor was one of the best ones talked about on HairLossTalk.com. The last time I had a procedure with her, the hair sprouted in 2.5 months. Now I'm at 5.5. The hairs that did sprout did so at the 2.5 month mark.

i guess she doesn't give you a refund if they don't sprout, huh? what do docs do when hair transplant's fail to sprout? do they offer you a free surgery or is it just a "you're fucked" scenario.

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
JayMan said:
i guess she doesn't give you a refund if they don't sprout, huh? what do docs do when hair transplant's fail to sprout? do they offer you a free surgery or is it just a "you're fucked" scenario.

In most cases, the attending clinic usually offers a complimentary session as restitution for a failed procedure. A monetary refund is generally unlikely, although at times warranted.

CCS

Reaction score
JayMan said:

I've heard of them giving refunds. But some people on here say it may take up to 18 months. The main thing is for me to show them to her soon, and then come back after a total of 18 months if they don't grow. I signed a contract saying there is a chance they won't grow. Even if I got a refund, I'm still out 1200 grafts. And even if she offers another transplant, I still don't know if the first ones are just dormant and if the second surgery will kill them. So I have to wait. I just hope HM comes soon. I'd look a lot better if my grafts were growing out. Almost NW1.

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
I signed a contract saying there is a chance they won't grow. Even if I got a refund, I'm still out 1200 grafts. And even if she offers another transplant, I still don't know if the first ones are just dormant and if the second surgery will kill them. So I have to wait. I just hope HM comes soon. I'd look a lot better if my grafts were growing out. Almost NW1

The waiver you signed is not binding if negligence is apparent and contradictory with said promises. You are correct though, a refund does not account for lost grafts if yield is low or non-existent. Who was your doctor? Did you have strip or FUE?

CCS

Reaction score
I don't want to mention her name until I after I talk to her. I don't want to mess up her reputation before I hear what she has to say. The yield is definitely less than 10%, though. Maybe 5%. It was a strip procedure, though that should not affect the recipient area. The other strange thing is my first procedure with her gave an almost non-existant scar, and my second procedure with her, the one with the low yield, gave one large enough to leave a hat line, though it does not look too bad. Do you agree that grafts may come out as late as 18 months? When do I know for sure that they will not grow?

ETERNAL HOPE

Reaction score
I don't want to mention her name until I after I talk to her. I don't want to mess up her reputation before I hear what she has to say. The yield is definitely less than 10%, though. Maybe 5%. It was a strip procedure, though that should not affect the recipient area. The other strange thing is my first procedure with her gave an almost non-existant scar, and my second procedure with her, the one with the low yield, gave one large enough to leave a hat line, though it does not look too bad. Do you agree that grafts may come out as late as 18 months? When do I know for sure that they will not grow?

CCS,
Generally speaking, the majority of grafts reveal growth by the 8-10 month stage. Diameter/vigor will parlay over the ensuing months although the growth itself is basically complete.
When did you have your procedure?

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score

CCS,

With regard to the second scar, it may be larger than the first b/c you scalp may have lost some flexibility and became tighter after the first closure. To say you have 10% growth is disconcerting, but only you see your scalp everyday. Why dont you post some pics with high resolution and have people chime in. It's the only way people on the board can support you at this time.

CCS

Reaction score
I don't have a camera. I'm trying to contact my friend who has one, but he usually is only available at night, which is when the pictures are no good since all apartments are lit like caves instead of like grocery stores. You're just going to see a picture of a guy who has 30 grafts per cm2. There are no other details or evidence except for the hairs growing 1/4 inch below that. I'm glad they at least grew out or I would have no proof at all. I'm really upset right now. I'ld look really good if those thin spots were at 50 instead of 30.

CCS

Reaction score
Even if I'm offered another procedure, I'm not sure I'd take it. What if it goes bad too? And unless I wait a long time for the skin to relax, the next scar will probably be even bigger. I'm just really hoping for HM.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even if I'm offered another procedure, I'm not sure I'd take it. What if it goes bad too? And unless I wait a long time for the skin to relax, the next scar will probably be even bigger. I'm just really hoping for HM.

I still think it's too early in the game to fret. Sometimes the second pass takes longer. I have read many stories about this and it may be a late bloomer.

Chill dawg!