5 months on the Big Three - Results ---6.5 MONTH UPDATE

codes08

Reaction score
5 months on the Big Three - Results ---9 MONTH UPDATE

Hello everyone. I'm a 24 year old guy who has always been a bit OCD about my hair, as I'm sure some of you are as well (I mean hell, we're on a hair forum). Anywho, my father has close to no hair on the top of his head and my older brother has a pretty drastic receding hairline, so needless to say I saw my future and didn't like it. In the past, as in a few years past, I tried Rogaine/Lipogaine and had minor success with Lipogaine on just the hairline, which is my only problem area. About a year ago it was starting to noticeably recede at the temples and began to at the frontal hairline.

After some lurking on forums such as these, I decided to get a prescription to finasteride April 2, 2014 (about 5 months ago). For the first three months or so I split a 5mg finasteride tablet into 4ths, thus taking 1.25mg daily. I combined Nizoral a couple times a week & have been applying Rogaine foam in the morning and Kirkland's minoxidil at night, largely just in the temple area. Granted I haven't been 100% faithful on the minoxidil cause it makes my hair an absolute mess, so occasionally I'll skip it in the mornings. I've also recently mixed in daily Zinc, Saw Palmetto, and Biotin to try help hair regrowth and combat the sides, which I'll get to now.

Side effects are real. Little to no morning wood anymore & it was a daily occurrence in the past, almost no random erections (also a daily occurrence in the past), watery semen, and definitely lower libido. HOWEVER, everything still works when there's the occasion for it. It does mess with my head a bit, but I try my best to keep any sort of psychological effects, as in worrying too much about it, at a low. That being said, about two months ago I started cutting the pills into 5ths to result in 1mg doses to try and combat the sides, & I'm thinking of cutting them into further smaller doses. I do worry that a not consistent dosage (I can't perfectly cut the dang pill every time) would have negative effects, but that may not be true.

So I'm posting all this to a) give y'all another story to read to help in the decision, and b) to get some advice moving forward. Results in terms of hair: it's hard to say, I definitely notice less hair in the shower after shampooing (almost none) which in the past I'd have 5-10 hairs in my hands afterwards. But, I also haven't really seen any new hair growth, & I'm almost positive the hairline is still slowly moving in the less desired direction. I feel like it's gotten worse with the shift to 1mg dose, but this could also just be a perception thing. When I apply minoxidil, I have really only been putting it at the temples and the very front of the hairline where there is largely no hair left. I feel like it may be causing some breakage of the hairs that it comes into contact with. Anyone notice something similar? Also, I am thinking i'll start putting more of it and deeper, although I don't want a shed because of the new exposure to the minoxidil.

I'm hoping I'll be one of those guys that sees results at 8ish months and all this hasn't been for nothing. Anyway, here's pics: before, then after.

July 14 ,2014
Before_Center.jpg

September 8, 2014
After_Center.jpg

April 7, 2014
Before_Left.jpg

September 8, 2014
After_Left.jpg

April 7, 2014
Before_Right.jpg

September 8, 2014
After_Right.jpg

Last edited:

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
You really need a year to fully evaluate the results/ Some guys get results faster but a year is always the best gauge

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately most of us will not be one of those great responders that grows all of their hair back in 6 months. Give it a year, even 18 months(some have said even up to 2 years) to judge finasteride's effectiveness.

codes08

Reaction score
Yes, I won't stop the finasteride until I give it a proper chance. Speaking of, I noticed this morning that there is definitely regrowth in my temples; however, the frontal hair line continues to retreat. I've been putting minoxidil mainly on the temples and a little bit at the front of the hairline. Should I start liberally applying it? I just worry about a frontal hair line shed due to minoxidil when finasteride is supposedly halting it's disappearance.

Any advice there?

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I won't stop the finasteride until I give it a proper chance. Speaking of, I noticed this morning that there is definitely regrowth in my temples; however, the frontal hair line continues to retreat. I've been putting minoxidil mainly on the temples and a little bit at the front of the hairline. Should I start liberally applying it? I just worry about a frontal hair line shed due to minoxidil when finasteride is supposedly halting it's disappearance.

Any advice there?
Anything that works in the back will work in the front just jot as well perhaps. So worth a try don't overdose on the minoxidil though just spread it around better.

codes08

Reaction score
I'm freaking out a bit. I just got a haircut today and my hairline is still getting worse. I don't "shed" hair in the shower or after combing, but somehow I'm still losing hair there, which is the only place I needed help to begin with.

About a month ago I started applying minoxidil more in the hairline rather than just in the temples, like I had been for the previous 5 months. Even my widow's peak is thinning considerably, which has never happened. And I feel like once the frontal hairline hairs disappear, there's a very small chance of them returning. I'm so tempted to quit the minoxidil but I know it's probably not in my best interest. I hit six months on treatment in about a week. It just so depressing to still stress about this when I thought I found a solution six months ago with finasteride. I just want to maintain, but **** is still happening. Anyone have advice or been through a similar situation with the hairline?

One positive thing though, is that the sides have lessened a bit. But still, getting sides with little to no results kinda sucks.

codes08

Reaction score
Update:

6.5 months on finasteride
~5 months on minoxidil
6.5 months on nizoral

So I'm past the 6 month mark and my hair is worse than it was to begin with. This was all quite sudden, everything was fine about a month ago. Very little hair coming out in the shower, combing, etc. My hairline is just rapidly going backwards & it SUCKS cause that is really the only area I needed any help with. I think I see a bit of regrowth at the temples, but that would be it.

SO tempted to drop minoxidil, I feel like the hairline disappearance is its fault, since that is what has changed most recently (I started applying kirklands in the frontal hairline rather than just at the temples a couple months ago).

I also am going to up my finasteride dosage back to 1.25mg. It may not do anything but that is also something I had changed a couple months ago (went down to 1.0mg.)

The only positive so far is the sides have gone way down. I've read some guys also experience this after those first few months. Lastly, I also take daily biotin, fish oil, saw palmetto, and zinc.

The depressing evidence is below:

Sept 8
IMG_0086.jpg
Oct 13
IMG_0698.jpg
Sept 8
After_Center.jpg
Oct 13
IMG_0690.jpg

Sept 8
IMG_0150.jpg
Oct 13
IMG_0693.jpg
Sept 8
IMG_0149.jpg
Oct 13
IMG_0695.jpg

changinglights12

Reaction score
Have been on finasteride/Rogaine/Nizoral since April and it has worsen my hair too. I have one more bottle of Rogaine, I am done with it after this. Three bottles also don't last me anywhere near 3 months so I am spending around $35 every month and a half.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Sorry to read about your lack of progress. My regrowth has been pretty weird also. I would say my regrowth was the best around the 6 - 7 month mark. Crown had filled in pretty good and overall thickness had improved. Since then it has pretty much been a roller coaster. Crown hasn't looked as good since then and thickness doesn't appear consistently good either. I am at a little over 15 months. It is frustrating, but I will just ride it out and see what happens. I know it's tough, but I guess some of us just need to be more patient.

codes08

Reaction score
Sorry to read about your lack of progress. My regrowth has been pretty weird also. I would say my regrowth was the best around the 6 - 7 month mark. Crown had filled in pretty good and overall thickness had improved. Since then it has pretty much been a roller coaster. Crown hasn't looked as good since then and thickness doesn't appear consistently good either. I am at a little over 15 months. It is frustrating, but I will just ride it out and see what happens. I know it's tough, but I guess some of us just need to be more patient.

It is both frustrating and tough. The toughest part is just continuing the treatments when you mentally blame it yet science says you will shed and such. I wish the recommendation would be starting solely on finasteride for awhile first before adding minoxidil. I was convinced the big 3 was the only way to go.

Anywho, i'll continue updating & thanks for the responses.

codes08

Reaction score
So here is my 9 month update. There might be a bit of regrowth in the temples, but sadly the frontal hairline continues to recede. I've been applying minoxidil (rogaine foam in the morning, liquid at night) to the front of the hairline. I don't push it back in fear of shedding and and even further receding hairline. I told myself I'd evaluate the minoxidil progress at the new year & then decide if I will continue, however, I'm still at a loss.

Should I continue minoxidil & to a greater degree (as in put in farther back in the hair)?

Also, what would be further methods to try and regrow if finasteride/minoxidil isn't doing it for me?

January 7, 2015:

IMG_0856_2.jpgIMG_0858.jpgIMG_0860_2.jpgIMG_0861_2.jpg

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
doesn't look like its gotten any worse since you started in april, maybe even a tiny bit better

codes08

Reaction score
I appreciate the vote of confidence guys, it helps.

I swear though, my hairline is still receding, i'm seeing parts of my scalp I've never seen before. I have compared pics extensively & i know it isn't that much of a difference though. And I'm fine with it to an extent, I just want it to stabilize for a few years.

I'll continue to update in the future.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, your hair looks great! I find the only people who don't get "results" are the people who already have a lot of hair! You have so much, your hairline should be no issue lol.