5 months on finasteride, Still Shedding a Ton! Reccomendations?

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the AntiAndrogens section but wasn't getting much of a response.

Hey guys, So I'm approaching 5 months on finasteride and I've been shedding like crazy ever since the 2 week mark. Is this normal? My stress/anxiety is also through the roof because of this which I know isn't helping. I am also using 1% nizoral and laser comb. Couldn't use rogaine because of sides. Is there any hope for me? Any recommendations? Thanks a lot everyone

2suun

Reaction score
^ that. A lot of people are worried when they see 30 hairs. If that's a one time thing a day, that's not shedding. For reference: I wake up, brush my hair on top and can easily see 60-70 hairs.

Reaction score
when you say shed, how many hair on average do you lose a day?

I make it a point not to count them as that would drive me insane but running my hand through my head I get maybe 5 hairs. Its a lot worse in the shower. Also hair is noticeably (at least to me) much thinner all over my head compared to when I started

- - - Updated - - -

^ that. A lot of people are worried when they see 30 hairs. If that's a one time thing a day, that's not shedding. For reference: I wake up, brush my hair on top and can easily see 60-70 hairs.

I am almost positive I am shedding as the hair loss is much worse compared to when I wasn't on finasteride. I am frightened by the hair I lose every day.

Also want to add that before finasteride I was only shedding on the vertex and now it is all over my head, hairline included.

- - - Updated - - -

bumping this

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
One question. Did you even need finasteride? I took finasteride even though I didn't need it. I was 27 back then. I did it because of my paranoia about my hair. Within a week of starting finasteride my hair started to shed massively. Also, my hair became oily. I never had oily hair. Anyway, I continued taking finasteride for four months and hair continued to shed. I went from extremely dense Norwood 0 to Norwood 2 in matter of 3 months. I eventually got sick of it and stopped the medication at 4 months. As soon as I stopped it, my shedding slowed considerably. It's been over 7 years but the devastating effects of finasteride haven't gone away. My hairline continued to recede and hair is still oily. However, since quitting finasteride hairline recession has slowed down, but its still there. I am norwood 2.5 now. Before taking finasteride, my hair was really healthy and nice. finasteride permanently messed up my hormones. I brought it upon myself. I simply didn't need finasteride. My hairline was perfect, like young Brad Pitt. I destroyed it on my own. Plese DO NOT take finasteride if you don't need to. See a GOOD hair-transplant doctor. Get your hair mapped out for miniaturization. Take finasteride ONLY if there is significant miniaturization.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One question. Did you even need finasteride? I took finasteride even though I didn't need it. I was 27 back then. I did it because of my paranoia about my hair. Within a week of starting finasteride my hair started to shed massively. Also, my hair became oily. I never had oily hair. Anyway, I continued taking finasteride for four months and hair continued to shed. I went from extremely dense Norwood 0 to Norwood 2 in matter of 3 months. I eventually got sick of it and stopped the medication at 4 months. As soon as I stopped it, my shedding slowed considerably. It's been over 7 years but the devastating effects of finasteride haven't gone away. My hairline continued to recede and hair is still oily. However, since quitting finasteride hairline recession has slowed down, but its still there. I am norwood 2.5 now. Before taking finasteride, my hair was really healthy and nice. finasteride permanently messed up my hormones. I brought it upon myself. I simply didn't need finasteride. My hairline was perfect, like young Brad Pitt. I destroyed it on my own. Plese DO NOT take finasteride if you don't need to. See a GOOD hair-transplant doctor. Get your hair mapped out for miniaturization. Take finasteride ONLY if there is significant miniaturization.

I don't believe you.

wakka12

Reaction score
I agree that you shouldn't take it unless you need to, but there is no possible reason why taking finasteride would cause that to occur to your hair

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree that you shouldn't take it unless you need to, but there is no possible reason why taking finasteride would cause that to occur to your hair

I didn't believe that either before that happened to me. But look up "reflex hyperandrogenicity", a side effect of finasteride. It has happened to others as well. From what I understood, in some people, when DHT goes down body increases androgen sensitivity in receptors that are attached to hair follicles to compensate for it. Do some research and learn about it so that you don't make a dumb decision like I made. Anyone reading this, DO NOT take finasteride unless you are really balding. DO NOT take it as preventive meds like I did.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score

This is a dilemma, I think, for a lot of people. On the one hand were all told to take finasteride at the earliest signs of hair loss but what if you take it when you don't really need it? It's about knowing when the best time to take action is, which isn't always easy to judge...........

wakka12

Reaction score
I didn't believe that either before that happened to me. But look up "reflex hyperandrogenicity", a side effect of finasteride. It has happened to others as well. From what I understood, in some people, when DHT goes down body increases androgen sensitivity in receptors that are attached to hair follicles to compensate for it. Do some research and learn about it so that you don't make a dumb decision like I made. Anyone reading this, DO NOT take finasteride unless you are really balding. DO NOT take it as preventive meds like I did.
Wow I never heard about this. Well it is unlucky, it still wouldnt put me off using finasteride though. After all it does help the majority of people to maintain their hair. Just begin use with he mindset that you'll be one the positive responders.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally believe it is risky to take it unless there is miniaturization present. Visit a good transplant doctor. They should be able to tell you if you are really balding. Otherwise you are at a risk for what happened to me. Knowing that I brought it upon myself is worse than knowing that it happened to you naturally by no fault of your own. finasteride is not a multi vitamin supplement or a candy that you can just pop once a day without worrying too much. It has serious systemic effects on your hormones.