5 month Update

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's been exactly 5 months today that I started 0.5mg/day Propecia. Basically, my history is that I was using 2% minoxidil for about a year. Then I started up with Revivogen from last November 2002 till about March 2003. I didn't like Revivogen at all and decided to start propecia at 0.5 mg/day after about a month of being off both.

My hairline is receding and the middle is thinning. The first couple months I didn't notice anything good or bad. Then I think around month 3 I started noticing increase in loss. The shedding has continued with no signs of stopping. Every morning after I shower I brush out a lot of hair and it seems that most of the shedding is coming from the front problem area. The hair I shed ranges from miniturized to very thick.

I have had no side effects that I know of. I also had my blood levels checked before starting propecia to get a baseline and now I'm going to get them rechecked soon.

I'm hoping the shedding stops soon, because my hair continues to thin and recede and it is looking worse and worse with less and less coverage. I've been starting up some vitamins too, just for general health.

Any advise?...comments would are appreciated!
Thanks

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

HairLossTalk.com, Is it possible to continue shedding without ever reaching an equilibrium?....ie not returning to the normal hair cycle while on propecia?

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Best advice i can give you is:

a)add some 5% minoxidil (it works better when dht is low, ie. with proscar)
b)Nizoral Shampoo
c)Topical spironolactone (to reduce all androgens in the scalp)

Revivogen is a croc! :rockon:

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

Lizzad, I guess I forgot to mention I do use Nizoral every few days. The shedding is still going strong...Well I guess I'm not 100% sure it's shedding, but all I can say is that I'm losing a lot of hair up front. Every morning I dread showering and then brushing. I kinda want to see what propecia will do for me on it's own before I start throwing other stuff at it. The topicals are hard to keep up with for years.

Established Member
Reaction score
hey joe, sounds like u are going through same thing as me.

after about 4-5 months, i started to notice a shed. i just finished 7 whole months of finasteride alone, nothing else. im starting month 8 any day now. the front middle is shedding badly, and becoming noticable. the back continues to shed lots but still looks and feels thick. im hoping that thisshedding stops soon. and although finasteride doesnt work good for the front, im hoping i get some good luck.

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

I would just like to stop this shedding thing. I counted 70+ hairs in the sink just from brushing this morning. That's not counting the unknown amount lost in the shower or the amount I'll lose throughout the day. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

mortac8

Reaction score
I noticed alot of shedding on propecia 1mg around months 4-5. Hair started to look like sh*t and I probably lost 50 from brushing sometimes. I am now in the middle of month 6 and my shedding has virtually stopped (i now lose maybe around 5 hairs each morning) and I am noticing some regrowth along my front hairline.

joe_mama

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

That's awesome!!! I would give sooo much to stop the shedding right now. That would pick my spirits up a lot! I'm worried that I'll be one of those people you here that shed without stopping. It's looking bad right now. I've gotta get a hair cut this weekend and I dread haircuts now.

G

Try Folligen therapy spray and shampoo/condtioner to stop shedding. Should work in about a week if my results are any indication.