5? Avocuta-inhibits the activity of 5 ? reductase/anti-sebum

Jacob

Reaction score
http://www.expanscience-ingredients.com/pdf/en/avocuta.pdf

http://www.expanscience-ingredients.com/products/active-ingredients/5-alpha-avocuta-hair.htm

(27 volunteers - cream containing 2% active ingredient- 3 theoritical weeks)

1. Sebum samples were taken before and after the treatment (applications twice a day) using a Sebufix® F16 patch, enabling secretion levels to be assessed. A visual examination was performed by a dermatologist (applying scores on a 1 to 5 scale) as well as a digital analysis. A reduction of 34% was recorded in this score, a mean reduction of 69% in cumulative total lipid stain surface area, thus demonstrating the reality of a sharp slowdown in the activity of the sebaceous glands.

2. Using a scoring scale of 0 to 9 and six criteria, the dermatologist assessed the condition of the volunteers' skins before and after treatment. That condition improved sharply in all cases.

3. The volunteers were able to confirm the clinical results by giving their own assessment of the effectiveness of the cream (% positive opinions):

Improvement in greasy appearance of hair: ---- 78%
Soothing effect on irritation: -------------------------- 63%
Reduction in dandruff: --------------------------------- 67%

Normal human fibroblasts are treated for 24 hours, either with Serenoa repens (a pharmaceutical active ingredient
known to inhibit 5- reductase) or with 5 Avocuta®, in the presence of radiomarked testosterone. The formation of
dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from testosterone is directly correlated to 5- reductase activity and its quantity is proportional
to the quantity of radioactivity measured.

The addition of Serenoa repens clearly reduces the activity of 5-
reductase and therefore the quantity of DHT synthesised. At the same
concentrations, 5 Avocuta® is more effective at inhibiting the activity of
5- reductase (-49% for 100 ?g/ml).

Since DHT is a powerful androgen stimulating the sebaceous glands,
5 Avocuta® appears to be an excellent active substance for improving
seborrheic conditions.

Shampoo containing 1% 5  Avocuta® applied every two days by 27 volunteers (3 weeks).

1/ The cumulative surface area of lipid spots decreased by an average of 69% (13 subjects), demonstrating a marked
slowing down of sebaceous gland activity.

2/ The seborrhea was reduced by approximately half, while the stinging,
pruritus, erythema and desquamation that frequently accompany
seborrheic conditions had practically disappeared.

3/ Lastly the volunteers confirmed these results:
- improvement of the greasy appearance of hair (78%),
- soothing effect on irritation (63%)
- reduction of dandruff (67%)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but what does it have to do with hair loss? :dunno:

Jacob

Reaction score
I'm sorry...did I make some sort of claim above?

Ppl in these forums..who actually use things...are interested in ingredients/products geared towards scalp health..even sebum reduction.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, you should post that over on acne.org. Those people are desperate to find something that will reduce their sebum production!

Jacob

Reaction score
Since you're already signed up and posting there..for whatever reason...go for it :crazy:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay...I'll do it! (Although I may just direct them over here to read all that stuff.)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm still holding-off on posting on the other site, because I'm having a fair amount of trouble finding a source of this "5? Avocuta". I did find an acne product which claims to have it as an ingredient, but I'd like to have a bit more than just that. I'll try again a little later...

Jacob

Reaction score
Well the shampoo linked to above is obviously for hair/the scalp. The acne products.. :dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Somebody over on acne.org who I've been talking to privately about "5a-Avocuta" has ordered a product recently that contains it. When he gets it and tries it out for a while, it'll be interesting to hear from him whether or not it appears to work!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
So you didn't post it to the board? :whistle:

Yes I did. I posted it to the board, AND had a private conversation with someone about it. He told me about the product he ordered that supposedly contains it.

Jacob

Reaction score
Yes..I see it now. You didn't direct them here though.

I don't think it's such a great idea to admit you're talking privately with someone from an acne board..probably a teenager :shock: