48 hours for DHT enzyme to recover?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
read in this forums aout someone's comments that the type 2 enzyme responsible for conversion of T to DHT takes 48 hours ro recover after being inhibited by Finasteride.

Any one has any research or studes to back this up or how did this conclusion came about?

VWdude

Reaction score
I would think it takes a bit longer than that...especially if you have been taking finasteride for a while.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm so if you take finasteride for 9 months and miss 4 days are you back to day one pretty much? and need 6 months to build back up!? or am i just an idiot and missing something here

asm

Reaction score
DHT level will be probably the same. But condition of your hair will not damaged much.

Hair suffer from prolonged influence of DHT. Possibly you'd stick into the shed.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fallout boy said:
hmm so if you take finasteride for 9 months and miss 4 days are you back to day one pretty much? and need 6 months to build back up!? or am i just an idiot and missing something here

if u dropped for 4 days , it wont hurt at all

Yes it may take 6 months or more to build up. And probably a year for your hair loss condition to return to its initial state . But this depends on what type of hair loss u have: -

diffuse, - 6 months or more
gradual - 1 year
"overnight balder" - as early as 1-3 months

drinkrum

Reaction score
chewbaca said:
fallout boy said:

if u dropped for 4 days , it wont hurt at all

Yes it may take 6 months or more to build up. And probably a year for your hair loss condition to return to its initial state . But this depends on what type of hair loss u have: -

diffuse, - 6 months or more
gradual - 1 year
"overnight balder" - as early as 1-3 months

What the hell? May take more than 6 months to build up? Just one single dosage results in almost 70% reduction in DHT!

D.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
chewbaca said:
read in this forums aout someone's comments that the type 2 enzyme responsible for conversion of T to DHT takes 48 hours ro recover after being inhibited by Finasteride.

Any one has any research or studes to back this up or how did this conclusion came about?

Gisleskog et al (1) say that the turnover half-lives of the 5a-reductase enzymes are 45 and 80 hours for the type 1 and 2 enzymes (respectively).

Bryan

(1) "A model for the turnover of dihydrotestosterone in the presence of the irreversible 5a-reductase inhibitors GI198745 and finasteride", Clin Pharmacol Ther 1998;64: 636-47.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
what does the term turnover actually means?

so after 80 hours DHt begins to return to normal daily levels?

Rye and Ginger

Reaction score
hrmm

I think you are all worrying too much. I assume this post spawned from someone missing a day or two of pills. sh*t happens. Deal with it. Yes, I have also read that the 5a-reductase enzymes have a half-life of 50 hours or so depending on the type, however, this does not indicate that 5a-reductase enzyme production will be restored to full in an equivalent time. Upregulation of enzyme genes may take longer than the half-life. Also, there will always be DHT in our bodies. We are talking about relative levels here. The susceptible follicles see a buildup of DHT over time, therefore as long as we can maintain lower relative levels, then a temporary increase over several days should not cause substantial change in follicular health?
Just some thoughts.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: hrmm

Rye and Ginger said:
I think you are all worrying too much. I assume this post spawned from someone missing a day or two of pills. sh*t happens. .

Actually posts like this happen because some people here are worried about taking the recommended 1mg a day dose and want to take less if possible, or 1mg less frequently, and are looking for evidence to support that decision.