45 Y.o. Nw3v Looking To Do A Fut Transplant

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since 2 years ago, I had many online quotes and one face-to-face consultation.
Summary from the face-to-face consultation:
Norwood Classification: NW3V
Hair Characteristics: Fine
Donor Density: measured in 2 different areas as 70/700 follicular units per cm2
Miniaturisation: None
Donor Laxity: 1,4 cm
Donor Size: 30 cm
Recommendations: As you have an average density in your donor area with a lot of 2 hair grafts, and you have a scalp with good elasticity, we propose to thicken the frontal 1/3 and rebuild your hairline with around 2500 FUE grafts.
Please see current photos.
I have been on Minodidil for many years, and over 2 years on Finasteride+regular microneedling (Dermastamp+derminator).
I understand my density is lower than average (apparently a trait of being oriental Asian), although I still have decent donor hair.
After further communication, it was indicated that with FUT 3000 grafts may be possible, and I would not need a to shave other than recipient area and the donor strip. (I'd rather look ridiculous for a year while the transplanted hair hopefully catches up, than having to regrow the length which takes 3-4 years).
I'm not hoping for a miracle, and would be happy with a mature hairline with good density.
Any opinions? I am hoping with 3000 grafts, he may be able to address the thinning crown as well.

Attachments

• back top.jpg
    back top.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 648
  • tied back.jpg
    tied back.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 597
  • Top mid part.jpg
    Top mid part.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 605
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 607

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Rocknroutlaw

Let me be straight with you, you could definitely grow at least SEVENTY to eighty
percent of your hair back.

If you would just double your Finasteride dosage, and raise the Minoxidil to twenty
percent or higher, I definitely think you would see great gains in SIX MONTHS!

It's your hair, and your decision of course.

I was in the same situation you were in, only I was forty three years old. Started
treatments a little too late in life.

That said, my hair is in a much better place now.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Rocknroutlaw

Let me be straight with you, you could definitely grow at least SEVENTY to eighty
percent of your hair back.

If you would just double your Finasteride dosage, and raise the Minoxidil to twenty
percent or higher, I definitely think you would see great gains in SIX MONTHS!

It's your hair, and your decision of course.

I was in the same situation you were in, only I was forty three years old. Started
treatments a little too late in life.

That said, my hair is in a much better place now.

Thanks for your suggestion.
For 2 years, I have been on a higher strength minoxidil twice a day (15% Min+0.1% finasteride at night, 5% Min in the morning) and 1mg oral Finasteride daily. Would further increasing the dose really provide much benefit?
Since starting on Finasteride, I did gain some ground which made a small cosmetic impact. However, from my observation any growth has stagnated around 1.5 year mark....all the darkened vellus hair never became properly terminal and stopped at around 1.5cm length.
I feel like I have maxed out the benefits. I have posted photos of my progress before...I'll try to find them.

Last edited:

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This was taken around the 12 months mark after beginning on Finasteride and increasing Min dosage from 5% to 12-15%. The photos I uploaded today were worst case with wet hair and coconut oil as leave-in conditioner still in, and brightest lighting I have .. Hence looking worse than photods from a year ago (dry and under normal lighting) lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161026-062311.png
    Screenshot_20161026-062311.png
    708.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Noone else has any opinions, or any particular feelings that I would be making a poor choice? I will most likely go with the unmentionable Dr. B in Belgium who favours approaching conservatively with density as opposed to lowering hairline,which also appears to be ethical. I feel that I have made all the realistic efforts to stabilise my hair loss over the last 2 years, and became much more informed (thanks to this forum) to proceed further.

Last edited:

TONSofBODYHAIR

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can wait for the sitri conference in italy about brotzu's lotion and see if there is an imminent release, if it works the way it says it does you might need even less grafts for your hair transplant. Its less than 1 month away.

Its the closest upcoming treatment right now so if i was in your shoes i would at least wait and see its possibility for regrowth and efficacy then plan a hair transplant accordingly

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can wait for the sitri conference in italy about brotzu's lotion and see if there is an imminent release, if it works the way it says it does you might need even less grafts for your hair transplant. Its less than 1 month away.

Its the closest upcoming treatment right now so if i was in your shoes i would at least wait and see its possibility for regrowth and efficacy then plan a hair transplant accordingly

Interesting. I haven't been following the latest technology threads as I just lost interest with the numerous speculations over the years. I don't plan on going to Dr. B until the end of year, so I shall keep an eye on this one. Thanks.

TONSofBODYHAIR

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't been following the latest technology threads as I just lost interest with the numerous speculations over the years. I don't plan on going to Dr. B until the end of year, so I shall keep an eye on this one. Thanks.

If you like new advancements on treatments keep an eye on the new research section of this forum, but dont visit till april 14th as there will be nothing new out yet but endless speculation.

The most promising upcoming treatments are brotzu lotion which its trial results will be probably presented at the 14th of april and shiseido rch-01 trial results in japan, with possible early commercialization.

Rch-01 is a set of cell injections which hypothetically will fortify the existing hair against hairloss. However i suppose it will be pricey due to the nature of the treatment, the demand, and the time needed of staying in japan for as long as the treatment requires.

Nevertheless the future seems promising and since you are old enough i guess your hairloss will not rapidly progress further in the next year so its worth to wait your hair transplant just till the end of this year and see whats coming in regards to treatments

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you like new advancements on treatments keep an eye on the new research section of this forum, but dont visit till april 14th as there will be nothing new out yet but endless speculation.

The most promising upcoming treatments are brotzu lotion which its trial results will be probably presented at the 14th of april and shiseido rch-01 trial results in japan, with possible early commercialization.

Rch-01 is a set of cell injections which hypothetically will fortify the existing hair against hairloss. However i suppose it will be pricey due to the nature of the treatment, the demand, and the time needed of staying in japan for as long as the treatment requires.

Nevertheless the future seems promising and since you are old enough i guess your hairloss will not rapidly progress further in the next year so its worth to wait your hair transplant just till the end of this year and see whats coming in regards to treatments
I'm having a read about Brotzu and feeling rather inadequate about my lack of understanding.
This aside, I feel like even if promising efficacy is revealed in April, the Brotzu lotion will be in incredibly high demand, pricey beyond belief, and also takes months to years for any possible results, just like any other treatment which requires years of perseverance. Also it was mentioned that it is likely to work better on younger guys with early stages of hair-loss. I wish I was still in my 20's with potential of saving this mess.
I do hope the findings are promising though...as it could also help those with transplant maintaining.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So Brotzu is seemingly going to be a replacement for Finasteride/minoxidil at best, and the recent conference revealed very little that can realistically further improve the outcome. Like all other promising advancement, our hair growth still seems to be doomed.
I think it's time to take the plunge then! I'd like to think I've still got a few good years ahead before hitting the big 50.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since 2 years ago, I had many online quotes and one face-to-face consultation.
Summary from the face-to-face consultation:
Norwood Classification: NW3V
Hair Characteristics: Fine
Donor Density: measured in 2 different areas as 70/700 follicular units per cm2
Miniaturisation: None
Donor Laxity: 1,4 cm
Donor Size: 30 cm
Recommendations: As you have an average density in your donor area with a lot of 2 hair grafts, and you have a scalp with good elasticity, we propose to thicken the frontal 1/3 and rebuild your hairline with around 2500 FUE grafts.
Please see current photos.
I have been on Minodidil for many years, and over 2 years on Finasteride+regular microneedling (Dermastamp+derminator).
I understand my density is lower than average (apparently a trait of being oriental Asian), although I still have decent donor hair.
After further communication, it was indicated that with FUT 3000 grafts may be possible, and I would not need a to shave other than recipient area and the donor strip. (I'd rather look ridiculous for a year while the transplanted hair hopefully catches up, than having to regrow the length which takes 3-4 years).
I'm not hoping for a miracle, and would be happy with a mature hairline with good density.
Any opinions? I am hoping with 3000 grafts, he may be able to address the thinning crown as well.

What are your thoughts on the 15% minoxidil? Where did you get it from, minoxidilmax? Do you feel like it helped your hair better than 5%