4329 Grafts- Fue - Asmed - Dr. Koray - 13.3.19

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score
**copied from a different section - I posted this thread at FUT results section by mistake**

Hey everyone,

I am 34 years old. My main issue with my hair (or lack of it :p) is my deep temporal recession (as you can see in the pictures attached). The temples have been receding ever since I was 22. in the age of 26 or so, I have started to take propecia. the treatment pretty much stopped the receding and it is stable for the past 6-7 years.

It has always been my dream to have a hair transplant, but because I am very sensitive to ppl and work colleagues seeing me after the transplant and with no hair. I postponed the hair transplant as much as I could. I managed to get 4-5 months leave from work, so I'm hoping I'll have some hair by the time I have to go back to work.

Estimations I got
based on the pictures I sent I got an estimation from Dr. Koray 3800-4000 50 grafts per cm2

Dr. koray estimation was the highest from all the clinics I have contacted, but I saw it as a good thing - it's because he plans to cover more of the scalp with hair and for better density. given my current hair loss stage and the fact, the hair loss has stopped for the last 6 years - I was cool with his estimation.

Choosing a hair transplant Dr

I liked the results of Dr Koray, and I love his hairlines designs, as I like more relatively aggressive hairline (and not the "half circle", most sergeants do).
Another plus for ASMED, is my great personal patient coordinator, Suzana. unlike other clinics, I got from Suzana very thorough and quick answers to my questions. she was very patient with me even though I had A LOT of questions. sometimes she misses a few of my questions, but overall she is super helpful, nice and provided me with all the answers I needed - And most importantly she made me feel like someone is with me throughout the process which is very important to me, As i'm doing the procedure in a foreign country.

After I booked the hair transplant at ASMED I saw a few bad results here on the forums. that makes me really nervous.

First day - consultation
I arrived in Istanbul at 09:00 (12.3.19). ASMED driver waited for me at the airport as Suzana said he would. I checked in the hotel, which is located 2 min walk from the clinic. then ASMED driver waited for me at 12:00 to take me to the clinic (it was raining so I used this service
smile-png.png
). Suzana welcomed me at the entrance and then I had some blood tests & heart rate checks. then I got photos of my current state. Afterward, I met DR. Koray he is a very nice person, he saw that my temples area was thin and asked me if I would like to transplant in that area as well to make it denser, I said yes and then he changed the grafts number for hair transplant from 4000 to 4300. he said that I have a good donor zone, and can reach 48 grafts per cm2, and that my average hair per graft ration is 1.9 (he wasn't far it was 2.13 according to his machine analysis). then he drew a hairline he thought is good for me, it was ok but I wanted it a little bit lower and the temples with a little less angle. he said we will consider it after the head shave - only then and after the grafts analysis he can know my actual current state and we will decide together.

So, they shaved my head, took a few pictures (shaved) and then I went to this machine that supposed to count the grafts and hairs from the entire head.

then we went back to DR he agreed to do the changes I wanted. in the room there where like 5 very pretty girls, he drew the new line (with the tweaks I requested) and each gave her input. the whole prosses took 4 min or so. then I looked in the mirror and was happy with that hairline.

the whole prosses took around 8 hours (i waited for the Dr consultation around 3 hours) I got to the hotel at 17:00, with the hairline drawn on my shaved head.

I should say that breakfast is served at the hotel and lunch and dinner is served at the clinic.

operation day 1+2
I got a really professional team (jasmin). I used the iPad they gave me as a mirror to see her work. she seemed very professional.
I didn't feel the anesthetics at all and slept half the surgery.
after the extraction (that was made by jasmin) i had lunch and got back to the incision part which is done by the Dr himself. when that part is finished jasmin continued to the implanting fase.
the second day repeated itself.

after the first operation day my face was doubled in size and after the second one, it tripled! I look now like a giant balloon.

operation details
1st day - hairline and temples - 2400 grafts.
2nd day - 1929 grafts'
density - 48 grafts per cm

572 - Singels
2733 Doubles
900 - Triples
118 - Quadruple
6 - Quintpule
Hair/grafts ratio 2.13

pictures before the hair transplant:
_1.JPG image12_1544852957.jpg wanted hairline 2.jpg
post op pics (with bloated face :)):
635_Ust.JPG 635_Sag.JPG 635_On.JPG
2 days post op - close up:
20190316_172906.jpg 20190316_172519 (1).jpg

Last edited:

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score
**copied from a different section - I posted this thread at FUT results section by mistake**
Hey, 10 days have passed since the hair transplant.

The donor zone completely healed - no redness, no scars. I feel itchiness though. It seems that they did a good job on the extraction phase.

The density is lower in the transplanted area relative to the native hair, but I guess once the hair will grow and given that most of the grafts are 2+ hairs, it will look ok, but we will see.

Also the transplanted zone in totally numb. I don't know if this is normal. I'll ask the clinic.

After day 6 my face returned to normal.

pics (HD + flash + florecent light - so no cover ups :)):
20190325_153454.jpg 20190325_153330.jpg 20190325_153239.jpg 20190325_153106.jpg

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey everybody, this is a 1-month post update (the photos below were taken at 30 days mark at least).

The situation is dire, almost 90% of the transplanted hair has been shedding. I guess I need to look in the mirror and welcome with a heavy heart the ugly duckling phase :)

The shedding in one temple is worst than the other - can't really explain why.

I don't know if you guys can see it in the pics. but there are small hairs sprouting out, I'm having a hard time to believe these are newly grown hairs after only 1 month. maybe slow growing hairs from the hair transplant, we will see in time.

Another thing, As I'm suffering through this ugly duckling phase, I decided I am going to do what ever I can to accelerate the prosses. So I'm going to share with you guys the medication/supplements/shampoos I'm using, tell me what you think:

1. of course Propecia ( actually Proscar which I split 4 ways - I got a year supply from ASMED clinic).

2. minoxidil 5% foam - started at day 28 and will continue using it for 5 months (I don't like, never used it, but it helps growth so I will try just about anything). the clinic says not to use minoxidil solution (only after 6 months for it causes skin irritation, unlike minoxidil foam)

3. Nizoral shampoo 2/3 times a week (started after 5 weeks)

4. Sebamed anti-hair loss shampoo (with caffeine) for the days I'm not using Nizoral.

5. maxi hair supplements - which contains Biotin, MSM, zinc, vitamins A, C, E and a lot of different types of vitamins for hair growths.

6. saw palmetto + pumpkin seed oil

7. omega 3

1 month 2.jpg 1 month 3.jpg 1 month.jpg

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would stick to what the clinic told you to use and if you are going to use minoxidil just use it on the donor area.

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would stick to what the clinic told you to use and if you are going to use minoxidil just use it on the donor area.

I'm using minoxidil foam on the transplanted area and not the donor area. the point is that I want the transplanted hair to grow faster, thus shorten the ugly duckling phase. my donor area was completely healed after 14 days, so i don't use minoxidil there.

Chriswaun

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm using minoxidil foam on the transplanted area and not the donor area. the point is that I want the transplanted hair to grow faster, thus shorten the ugly duckling phase. my donor area was completely healed after 14 days, so i don't use minoxidil there.

Are you not worried about shed due to minoxidil?

Chriswaun

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was going to use it (and did for about a week). I also was hoping it would speed up growth.

I stopped as minoxidil will make you shed weak hair , and you need to continue to use it in order for stronger hairs to grow back.
I was worried that I would shed hair that wasn’t 100% healthy and then they wouldn’t grow back, the extra speed wasn’t worth the risk in my opinion.

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair from the donor area is usually strong and not weak. it will not shed (mostly) regardless of minoxidil use. so I don't think minoxidil will make newly transplanted hair shed. also the shedding after minoxidil is caused after along time use and not after a few months. I also will stop using it gradually and to at once, so there will be no shock.

tomcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair from the donor area is usually strong and not weak. it will not shed (mostly) regardless of minoxidil use. so I don't think minoxidil will make newly transplanted hair shed. also the shedding after minoxidil is caused after along time use and not after a few months. I also will stop using it gradually and to at once, so there will be no shock.
arrogant will destroy ur hair transplant result. mark my word buddy

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score
arrogant will destroy ur hair transplant result. mark my word buddy

I'm not arrogant at all. you look at minoxidil as it is a hair loss promotion medication and not a hair loss prevention medication.

i'm not doing anything new here, alot of ppl after hair transplant use minoxidil to speed the growth of the transplanted hair in about 1 month.

what are you based on when saying minoxidil "destroy" hair/transplanted hair? I really want to know - because I consulted with my hair transplant doctor, and red a lot online (doctors replays) saying it is ok. also there trails done on this that show that it can speed the growth process.

If you know something else that i don't - please share

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not arrogant at all. you look at minoxidil as it is a hair loss promotion medication and not a hair loss prevention medication.

i'm not doing anything new here, alot of ppl after hair transplant use minoxidil to speed the growth of the transplanted hair in about 1 month.

what are you based on when saying minoxidil "destroy" hair/transplanted hair? I really want to know - because I consulted with my hair transplant doctor, and red a lot online (doctors replays) saying it is ok. also there trails done on this that show that it can speed the growth process.

If you know something else that i don't - please share
I agree with you. I'm 4.5 months post surgery and been using Minoxidil for years. I stopped using it before the procedure and continued 14 days after it (as advised by surgeon). My scalp got accustomed to Minoxidil application long ago so I can't see how it would impact me negatively.
Further to that, if your weak hair is shed as a result of Minoxidil application, i doubt it would have survived the ugly duckling phase anyway. Minodoxil to me is for long term as well as short term gain.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess you are a late grower. And you use minxidil which should have speed up the procces

..or perhaps I have always been a non-responder to Minoxidil to begin with. I had been on Minoxidil alone for years before adding Finasteride, which then started to give me some mild gain but was never going to turn any hair terminal. I guess we will never know!
Anyway I personally believe Minoxidil is a good addition to assist growth rate after transplant, but you need to be prepared to stay on it for a longer term before considering dropping it again. I will probably just commit to it for life lol

TemplesRunner

My Regimen
Reaction score
No its too hard regime for me ;) i only want it to accelerate the growth procces. I'm suffering at this ugly duckling phase

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No its too hard regime for me ;) i only want it to accelerate the growth procces. I'm suffering at this ugly duckling phase
I hear you man. This phase sucks, which is why we are both using supplements etc. However, I suspect that because Minoxidil is new to you, there may well be some shedding of weaker hair cause by the topical application, which may not grow back without continuing usage. You stated above that 'hair from donor area is strong, not weak' which is correct, however there is always a chance that some of them will not 'take' well and these may be the ones to shed. There is never such a thing as 100% of grafts growing fully, but Minoxidil should definitely help rather than hinder.
I would consider staying on it for a few months even well after the ugly duckling phase.

Last edited: