4 Years on Finasteride

Sailing123

Reaction score
This coming October will mark four years since I started taking 1mg Finasteride daily. Back in 2010, at age 25 I noticed an increase in hair loss while in the shower and while combing. This in turn lead to daily hair inspections and an almost obsession like internet research campaign to get the facts about Androgenetic Alopecia. Interestingly, the hair loss began shortly followed a relationship breakup, and a few months after that I started a new and serious weight lifting routine (protein powder was consumed too) As my shedding increased, I became paranoid, and I discontinued with the weights. Following an anxiety filled handful of months, I jumped on the finasteride bandwagon. I started as a NW2 with thinning behind the hairline. As for sides, only decreased ejaculate.

Once I started Propecia, things improved rapidly and I quickly moved on in my life. Sheddings stopped and I've basically retained my hair. Over the years, at times under bright light, (sunroof) my hair appears thin but I believe that that damaged occurred before I started taking Propecia. In Early 2013, Walmart switched me over to generic finasteride by Dr. Reddy's.

Which brings me to now, the late spring of 2014. Well following a breakup, guess what I did, I started up with the weights again and cardo. Gotta look good for summer. I reassured myself that what happened in 2010 was coincidental and that since I am taking finasteride it would counteract any additional/potential testosterone DHT conversion. Sadly, as of May, the hair behind my hairline is now looking worse and appears to be deteriorating. I will probably have to discontinue the weights but stick with the cardio. Hopefully I can arrest this recent setback and maintain as I continue to take finasteride religiously. We shall see.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone that told you cardio or exercise of any kind causes hair loss is a fool. There is no correlation between the two, so feel free to go and get jacked. I hope you're using minoxidil and ketoconazole (nizoral shampoo) in conjunction with the finasteride because they stimulate hair growth and minorly inhibit DHT collection in the scalp respectively. Finasteride is the most powerful of the three, but even it needs help to keep the DHT's constant assault on your hair follicles from succeeding. If you want to keep your hair, it's a daily routine of this stuff, much like wiping your *** after taking a dump or brushing your teeth. If the big 3 doesn't work, you may want to look into dutasteride or RU58841.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
The question I have is how do you know it isn't the new brand of finasteride causing the new thinning? Another concern I have is are you by any chance using any protein supplements? If you are make sure they don't have creatine. If it does throw it out. That stuff will increase hairloss even if your are on finasteride. I know from personal experience.

Sailing123

Reaction score
Anyone that told you cardio or exercise of any kind causes hair loss is a fool. There is no correlation between the two, so feel free to go and get jacked. I hope you're using minoxidil and ketoconazole (nizoral shampoo) in conjunction with the finasteride because they stimulate hair growth and minorly inhibit DHT collection in the scalp respectively.
Will probably have to start using minoxidil now. I have been using TGEL since it was also used in the Propecia clinical trials. I will dig around for my old bottle of Keto...

- - - Updated - - -

The question I have is how do you know it isn't the new brand of finasteride causing the new thinning? Another concern I have is are you by any chance using any protein supplements? If you are make sure they don't have creatine. If it does throw it out. That stuff will increase hairloss even if your are on finasteride. I know from personal experience.

New brand - That has and continues to cross my mind. Depending on how much deterioration occurs I may have to discontinue Dr. Reddy and opt back to Propecia.

No protein supplements this time around.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Instead of switching back to propecia you should get a blood test from your doctor of your DHT levels this way you will not have to spend more as it will confirm/refute whether the generics are no good. The generics are probably working though.

BrianP

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone that told you cardio or exercise of any kind causes hair loss is a fool. There is no correlation between the two, so feel free to go and get jacked. I hope you're using minoxidil and ketoconazole (nizoral shampoo) in conjunction with the finasteride because they stimulate hair growth and minorly inhibit DHT collection in the scalp respectively. Finasteride is the most powerful of the three, but even it needs help to keep the DHT's constant assault on your hair follicles from succeeding. If you want to keep your hair, it's a daily routine of this stuff, much like wiping your *** after taking a dump or brushing your teeth. If the big 3 doesn't work, you may want to look into dutasteride or RU58841.

Unfortunetaly u r strong there bro.. Heavy lifting does increase HGH, Testosterone levels along with other hormones therefore increasing DHT levels.. Exercises with heavy weights and that puts a lot of stress in a lot muscles like deadlifts and squats are the ones that increase hormones the most..

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I just don't think the reduction and increase of testosterone is heavily correlated with a corresponding reduction and increase in dihydrotestosterone. After reading Bryan sheltons posts that is the conclusion I have made. Creatine on the other and other steroids will indeed increase hair loss. But this is just my beliefs. No evidence to back this up.

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned about this aswell, iv'e seen correlation in the heavy exercise/lifting periods and itching/shedding hair periods. Hopefully it's just some coincidence, because I don't want to be a lazy *** just bc of the hair.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm concerned about this swell, if seen correlation in the heavy exercise/lifting periods and itching/shedding hair periods. Hopefully it's just some coincidence, because I don't want to be a lazy *** just bc of the hair.
My hair itches after I work out. I think it is just because of the sweat

BrianP

Established Member
Reaction score
I just don't think the reduction and increase of testosterone is heavily correlated with a corresponding reduction and increase in dihydrotestosterone. After reading Bryan sheltons posts that is the conclusion I have made. Creatine on the other and other steroids will indeed increase hair loss. But this is just my beliefs. No evidence to back this up.

Dude there is evidence to support that increased testosterone will increase DHT levels you just have to do some research and u r right and wrong about steroids and creatine..

Creatine in no way causes hairloss lol.. and u r right about steroids increasing hairloss rate for people with male pattern baldness and there IS evidence to back it up too.. and a curiosity is that even people who dont suffer from male pattern baldness will have some mild hairloss from certain steroids, especially DHT derivatives and very androgenic compounds, although they will recover all the lost hair afterwards lol

If u r an athlete who lifts a lot of weight (im not talking 1000lbs on deadlift or anything).. by a lot of weight i mean heavy weight for YOU, some people are at their limit with 40 lbs on bench press while others can do with 100.. either way when u r having really heavy and intense workouts with compound exercises like squats, deadlifts they will increase ur test and ur DHT = increase ur hairloss..

Its defently not by much lol, our own natural testosterone production can only get to a certain point so i dont believe the increase on test/DHT from doing heavy lifts will have a lot of impact on hairloss unless u r really really prone to it..

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair itches after I work out. I think it is just because of the sweat

For me it's after working out , I play tennis as well and my hair doesn't itch after playing for some hours.

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I read somewhere that dht will increase at a fraction of the amount testosterone increases by. So if you worked out and increased testosterone by 20 percent maybe your dht will increase by 10 percent. Of course this is all irrelevant if you are taking finasteride.

Also creatine increases dht. And there are countless reports of that supplement causing hair loss. I don't know why you would debate that one.

BrianP

Established Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that dht will increase at a fraction of the amount testosterone increases by. So if you worked out and increased testosterone by 20 percent maybe your dht will increase by 10 percent. Of course this is all irrelevant if you are taking finasteride.

Also creatine increases dht. And there are countless reports of that supplement causing hair loss. I don't know why you would debate that one.

WHAT THE ****.. Im a stubborn son of a b**ch and hate to admit that im wrong but well it seems u r right about creatine.. and again WHAT THE ****, apparently it will increase up to 56% on loading week and then stay about 40-50% above normal during the use.. Dude 50% increase on DHT is ****ing a lot like A LOT, it is like doing a testosterone cycle if not worse.. Wow im impressed

Edit: diffuser thanks for the info on creatine i rly didnt know that

Sailing123

Reaction score
This coming October will mark four years since I started taking 1mg Finasteride daily. Back in 2010, at age 25 I noticed an increase in hair loss while in the shower and while combing. This in turn lead to daily hair inspections and an almost obsession like internet research campaign to get the facts about Androgenetic Alopecia. Interestingly, the hair loss began shortly followed a relationship breakup, and a few months after that I started a new and serious weight lifting routine (protein powder was consumed too) As my shedding increased, I became paranoid, and I discontinued with the weights. Following an anxiety filled handful of months, I jumped on the finasteride bandwagon. I started as a NW2 with thinning behind the hairline. As for sides, only decreased ejaculate.

Once I started Propecia, things improved rapidly and I quickly moved on in my life. Sheddings stopped and I've basically retained my hair. Over the years, at times under bright light, (sunroof) my hair appears thin but I believe that that damaged occurred before I started taking Propecia. In Early 2013, Walmart switched me over to generic finasteride by Dr. Reddy's.

Which brings me to now, the late spring of 2014. Well following a breakup, guess what I did, I started up with the weights again and cardo. Gotta look good for summer. I reassured myself that what happened in 2010 was coincidental and that since I am taking finasteride it would counteract any additional/potential testosterone DHT conversion. Sadly, as of May, the hair behind my hairline is now looking worse and appears to be deteriorating. I will probably have to discontinue the weights but stick with the cardio. Hopefully I can arrest this recent setback and maintain as I continue to take finasteride religiously. We shall see.

Update as of September 2014. Developed diffused thinning areas behind and slightly below hairline corners, I discovered his in July. By late August/early September it freaked me out pretty good. Thinning is visible when hair is wet or hair is cut to a three or lower "guard." Luckily not visible in dried hair. Since early September, I've seen an alarming increase in hair shedding in shower and combing. I have not seen continuous shedding like this since before I started Propecia in October of 2010. I continue to use t-gel as I have for a number of years but have also upped nizoral usage. Shedding coincided with worrying about hair loss restarting and with starting grad school after many years out of academia .

For peace of mind I have switched back to Propecia this month, we shall see if shedding slows. Hair that falls today went into telogen three months ago?