4 Months on the Big three, big improvement!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Seb. Derm. is also triggered or aggravated by stress. It's certainly reasonable to deduce your recent dandruff episode is related as well.

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh man, if you had to lose it, what a way to do it! Nah, my cause is probably just good old fashioned stress, diet and maybe a shed. Either that or the drug has started losing effectiveness way too soon. God I hope not! Hair still looks good, but don't want it getting any worse...

I agree. I would imagine moving to a completely foreign place must be something else on your stress. Definitely don't sweat it too much, GM.

AlecGaro

Reaction score
Hello there i actually put this page in my bookmarks since it is so inspiring! I am about to start the big 3. I am nearly 20 years old and am trying to fight my battle against male pattern baldness which i sadly inherited from my father.. I have 2 questions that would be great if you could answer ASAP!

1) I just got some 5mg generic Finasteride and want to know what you would recommend the dosage and why? should I just split it into fourths and have 1.25 mg each day which would be the easiest way?

2) When using minoxidil should you wash your hair twice a day? (both times before using the minoxidil in the morning and night?) if that is the case I dont know how I could possibly use minoxidil because I have very dry wavy hair and if I wash it more than once every 2 days it because extremely dry and unmanageable.. what would you suggest I do?

Thank you so much!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just take the usual 1.25 mg, cut the 5 mg tablet into quarters. If you get side effects then try lowering the dose to 0.5 or 0.25 mg per day (buy 1 mg tablets and cut into halves or quarters).The response isn't linear, 0.5 mg is almost as effective as 1 mg, and 5 mg is barely more effective than 1 mg at reducing DHT, so don't worry about not getting the full dose, this isn't an exact science.

No wash your hair once a day or every second day. Shampoo dries out your scalp by removing natural oils. Wash in the morning, dry and apply minoxidil, then at night don't wash just apply minoxidil or vice versa. I only use minoxidil once a day before bed. I'm a diffuse thinner so I have abigger area to apply minoxidil too (4 ml) so for economic reasons I can only afford to apply it once a day. A one month bottle lasts me about 12 days.

AlecGaro

Reaction score
Just take the usual 1.25 mg, cut the 5 mg tablet into quarters. If you get side effects then try lowering the dose to 0.5 or 0.25 mg per day (buy 1 mg tablets and cut into halves or quarters).The response isn't linear, 0.5 mg is almost as effective as 1 mg, and 5 mg is barely more effective than 1 mg at reducing DHT, so don't worry about not getting the full dose, this isn't an exact science.

No wash your hair once a day or every second day. Shampoo dries out your scalp by removing natural oils. Wash in the morning, dry and apply minoxidil, then at night don't wash just apply minoxidil or vice versa. I only use minoxidil once a day before bed. I'm a diffuse thinner so I have abigger area to apply minoxidil too (4 ml) so for economic reasons I can only afford to apply it once a day. A one month bottle lasts me about 12 days.

thank you.. you have honestly helped me so much! And is it possible to just ask one more question? I use Lipogaine Keto Shampoo.. but for the "conditioner" afterwards I have started to use Tricomin Conditioning Shampoo. I don't know if you are familiar with it but for me it seems to really dry out my hair. Do you know of any moisturizing/hydrating conditioners I could use after my Keto Shampoo to keep some moisture in my hair (hopefully one with no SLS)?

Also maybe its possible for you to tell me your shower hair care routine? Like tell me do you shampoo first then use the Keto and then a conditioner? And which products you use as well. Thank you again so much!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
No worries man. Keto shampoo isn't important, you only need it if you have dandruff, dandruff isn't good for healthy hair growth. I just use Aussie miracle moist and mega conditioner every second day and if my dandruff flares up then I use nizoral every 3rd or 4th day. Ketoconazol is a very very mild DHT inhibitor, it won't do much, it's mostly just for ensuring your scalp is healthy.

AlecGaro

Reaction score
No worries man. Keto shampoo isn't important, you only need it if you have dandruff, dandruff isn't good for healthy hair growth. I just use Aussie miracle moist and mega conditioner every second day and if my dandruff flares up then I use nizoral every 3rd or 4th day. Ketoconazol is a very very mild DHT inhibitor, it won't do much, it's mostly just for ensuring your scalp is healthy.

Oh nice! which of these 2 is it?:

http://www.amazon.com/Moist-Minute-...97351213&sr=1-3&keywords=aussie+miracle+moist
or
http://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Miracl...97351213&sr=1-2&keywords=aussie+miracle+moist

and do you have any shampoo you use as well to possibly recommend?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Both, ones a shampoo, the other a conditioner, but Jesus... Don't pay those crazy prices! I just bought it at my local Tesco for about €5. It's not important man, just get any decent shampoo, it doesn't have to be super expensive. Shampoo is just that, shampoo, it's not going to cause hair loss or save your hair. If head shoulders keeps your head clean then just go with that, it's not really important. Conditioner will prevent scalp and hair dryness.

AlecGaro

Reaction score
Both, ones a shampoo, the other a conditioner, but Jesus... Don't pay those crazy prices! I just bought it at my local Tesco for about €5. It's not important man, just get any decent shampoo, it doesn't have to be super expensive. Shampoo is just that, shampoo, it's not going to cause hair loss or save your hair. If head shoulders keeps your head clean then just go with that, it's not really important. Conditioner will prevent scalp and hair dryness.

I really do appreciate all the help! Thank you, haha and i know i actually checked the price at target before you commented and it was 3$.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey GoldenMane, just wanted your opinion on something. I've developed a slight skin irritation along my hairline from the minoxidil, which is a little sore. I'm thinking about stopping minoxidil until it clears and then lowering the dose. Any suggestions? Did you experience any skin irritation?

- - - Updated - - -

More info: It's quite mild and I do think that I have been using too much, since I worry about the minoxidil not reaching my scalp. It's basically a few red blotches around my hairline.

Mja017

Reaction score
Golden mane
Sry to get off topic briefly but if I may ask, how did you secure a job in japan? I've been contemplating teaching English in Korea with my English degree but there are so many different sites and agencies that it can be a bit tedious. Any help would be greatly appreciated- cheers

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm... Dunno Cliff, it depends on how bad it is. minoxidil gains aren't lost stright away, how long do you think you'll be off it? Obviously if your scalp skin isn't good then that's not good for your hair follicles either... Maybe get off for a short time, see if it clears up, or maybe try some moisturisers or creams. Whenever my skin gets a bit red or irritated I use this moisturiser you can get at boots. It's boots own brand Kew gardens moisturiser, comes in a green dispenser or bottle, works very well. Try it and and see if it improves your skin. I do get red irritated skin a lot, but it has nothing to do with minoxidil.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mane, I will look into that boots moisturiser. Was only planning on being off it for a couple of days. The skin is itchy and red and also a little bumpy - like a large amount of small spots. I just don't want it to get worse and thought I could afford a couple of days break from minoxidil X2 a day whilst it cleared up. To be fair, I have also been using a lot... probably about 2ml for only the hairline, at night and then generous amount of foam, in the morning. Will be looking to reduce now that these sides have started :(

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah it's only minor sides, hopefully it clears up after a few days! Don't drwon your scalp, just a few big drops on your hairline then move your head to lead the dripping direction you want to reach with minoxidil.

Mja, have you heard of the EPIK programme in Korea? It's a state run programme, supposedly it's pretty good. In Japan I just applied to a dispatch company. They have lots of rural schools, so if you have a driving license you get prioritised in applications, but for EPIK I think the positions are mostly in Seoul (don't quote me) so maybe that's not a big deal. My advice is get a criminal background check, a driving license, exam transcripts, an international driving permit (maybe) a TEFL qualification, I did a CELTA, most other ALTs don't have one. And get your application in ASAP, it takes a long time, longer than you think!

Check it out, Taiwan is supposed to be really good too!

http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/top-10-countries-teach-english-abroad-college-grads

qwerty6000

Reaction score
Hey Goldenmane how was the Nizoral like as a shampoo compared to other 'normal' shampoos for long hair? I've heard it's not very good for the lengths of hair only and to try and only use it on the scalp.
At the moment I just use any brand name shampoo/conditioner, lately one for repair as I have a few split ends etc.

I've got a GP appointemt tommorow to try get a finasteride prescription and I was thing about getting some Nizoral as well, maybe add minoxidil later.

I normally shampoo about 3 times a week, 4 at most. I can only do it at night after work as my hair takes so long to dry being long and basically play my events around washing my hair (like going out saturday night I'll make sure I was it a couple hours before I plan to leave). So I'd rather try and avoid what most people say on here which is Nizoral 3 days, normal shampoo the other 4, at the moment I have no need to wash my hair every day, no dandruff etc. Just seems like it would be overkill and possibly worse to wash hair every day and remove natual oils etc..?

Thanks.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't use nizoral for washing your hair, that's a huge waste since it's so expensive! You just massage some nizoral into your scalp and use shampoo and conditioner beyond your scalp. Back home and in the UK (in most countries I think) you don't need a prescription for nizoral. I doubt you need one in Australia. My regime is Nizoral every 4 days. I wash my hair every second day, and every 4th day I use nizoral at scalp level and Aussie miracle moist to wash my hair and Aussie miracle mosit conditioner if my hair is a bit dry. Nizoral will dry out your hair. If you don't have dandruff then you don't need nizoral, it's not effective against hair loss, only dandruff.

qwerty6000

Reaction score
You don't use nizoral for washing your hair, that's a huge waste since it's so expensive! You just massage some nizoral into your scalp and use shampoo and conditioner beyond your scalp. Back home and in the UK (in most countries I think) you don't need a prescription for nizoral. I doubt you need one in Australia. My regime is Nizoral every 4 days. I wash my hair every second day, and every 4th day I use nizoral at scalp level and Aussie miracle moist to wash my hair and Aussie miracle mosit conditioner if my hair is a bit dry. Nizoral will dry out your hair. If you don't have dandruff then you don't need nizoral, it's not effective against hair loss, only dandruff.

Ok cheers, I had kinda came to that conclusion after reading a bit more.

You can just get Nizoral off the shelf from any chemist here also. I'll see how I go, if I get any dandruff I'll incorporate it every so often.

Do you have any updates on your hair? I've got my prescription at the moment, just going to pick up some pills tommorow..I've been putting it off for some reason (like a lot of others I assume)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
No real updates, my hair is fine again, the thinning I noticed a few weeks ago seems to ahve recovered (knock on wood...) and I'm pretty happy again. Good to hear you've got your finasteride pills, it's your best (or only) chance at maintaining your hair long term. If you have thinning hair I also suggest adding minoxidil, but maybe wait and see how finasteride does for a few months first unless you're impatient like I was. If you have recession then maybe try minoxidil, but it probably won't make a huge difference If it's just prevention you're after then I envy you!