4 Months on the Big three, big improvement!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
The photos speak for themselves! Kelly, Joseph  (20130906121959482) 20140130161422704.jpgKelly, Joseph  (20130906121959482) 20140130161455202.jpgKelly, Joseph  (20130906121959482) 20140130161700068.jpgSide comparison.jpgBack before.jpgBack after 4 months.jpg

Attachments

• Kelly, Joseph  (20130906121959482) 20140130161740791.jpg
    Kelly, Joseph (20130906121959482) 20140130161740791.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,864
  • Kelly, Joseph  (20130906121959482) 20140130162014039.jpg
    Kelly, Joseph (20130906121959482) 20140130162014039.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,598

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Congratulations Golden, The luck of the Irish is surely raining down on you!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's another blank 1.jpgEdit 2.jpgcomparison, my hair is standing up again, no longer laying flat on my head, it has some bounce. It's got darker too...

I've had no side effects at all. No loss of libido, no ED, no brain fog (who honestly believes this?) No genecomastia. Just good hair growth and thickening.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers I.D! Early (ish) intervention and luckily a good responder, I'm so damn grateful for finasteride and minoxidil! Hope I can keep it for a long time to come

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
And cheers back at you! Now kick the dust off your shoes and go flaunt those luxurious long locks of yours and be the beautiful person(inside/out)God intended you to be. Cheerio!

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Great results. Would you mind sharing your routine in more detail? Any tips that you could share and anything that worked and didn't etc? Would you consider alt drugs if finasteride and minoxidil stopped being as effective?

Thanks
Cliff

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
First off: damn. That's an amazing result, congrats dude. Second, did you use the foam or the liquid minoxidil?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will I.D, I'm absolutely delighted with my results, and it's still early days!

Cliff, my routine is just the usual: 1.25 mg finasteride every day, usually before bed, and 5% kirkland minoxidil once a day. I use 4 ml in total and try to cover all the areas that were thinning. If I applied it twice a day then a bottle would only last me about a week! Once a day works fine. I use nizoral quite irregularly, mostly only when my dandruff gets bad. I take multivitamins too, dunno if they make much of a difference. As for alt drugs, well I'm lucky that I am a good responder to the big three, but if I wasn't, I'd probably take saw palmetto, topical spironolactone and pretty much any androgen blocker I could finasteride. If your body can't handle lower DHT, then you've got to stop DHT from binding with the hair follicle receptors. As far as I'm aware though, the effectiveness of topical AR blockers is much less than that of finasteride, so you'd want to combine as many as possible to see good results. I'd throw everything and the kitchen sink at the problem.

Armando, yeah I did. My consultant (a hair transplant surgeon) told me today that DHT strips the colour from your hair as well as causing increasing thinness, so my blond locks are getting progressively darker, so funnily enough, my Golden Mane is becoming less golden as it improves!

drgs, I didn't take the photos, my doctor at HRBR (Hair Restoration Black Rock in Dublin) takes really good photos at every check up under high lumen lights and in the same positions, so I have him to thank. Very responsible doctors there, they won't perform a hair transplant on anyone until they've been on finasteride for 2 years.

Big Texas, I use the liquid. Even when my hair was thin, I still couldn't get the foam past the hair on on my scalp, and I couldn't stomach taking a bic to my head! The liquid (using the dropper) gets under the hair so it gets good scalp contact. I used spectral UHP for a while, but it's a bit expensive for me, good stuff though. Kirkland stuff works just fine though, and it's cheap!

Grizz

Reaction score
Awesome results! Seeing this kind of stuff keeps me sane while I wait until I can start treatment (soon... very soon). Thanks for posting.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good luck Grizz! You'll feel so much better once you start treating it. For me, even before I started seeing results, just taking that pill and applying minoxidil was the highlight of my day (sad I know!) because it made me feel proactive. Finasteride does work for 80-90% of guys so the odds are in your favour. My advice too is don't get worked up about possible side effects, I think many finasteride symptoms are pychosomatic. I'm not saying not to be cautious, do be aware of possible side effects, but don't think about them too much, I think there is some truth, but also that there's a lot of scaremongering going on regarding the reported sides.

finasteride is cheap and off patent, a lot of pharmaceutical companies have products they want to sell you... It's not in their interests for you to buy cheap off patent medication...

Thanks Traangas!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow thats just amazing!! May I ask you what your hair fall is like now? cheers

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks talmoode! My hairfall now is almost non existent. I used to constantly lose hair, if I brushed my hair I was losing 30-50, washing my hair I lost quite a few, my hair was constantly getting caught, like if I was lying on it or it caught in a zip, and it broke so easily...

I cut my hair to shoulder length (it was about 2 and a half feet long), so i get less knots, and it doesn't get caught in things and it's easier to brush, but I think the main reason is that the hair is thicker and stronger at the roots now, and I'm not shedding anymore. My shed started at the second week when I started losing a bit more than usual. I started using nanogen for a while... I think the shed lasted about 3-4 weeks. I hope I don't get a secondary shed!

one more photo...Kelly, Joseph  (20130906121959482) 20140130161545745.jpg

You can see short hairs sprouting at the top of my head on the right picture, I think these may be new, or vellus hairs that regained thickness.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks a lot for the response.

Any sides from the minoxidil, itching etc? I have reasonably long hair... how did you apply minoxidil foam with long hair? I'm thinking about applying it after a shower when it's a little wet.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
My bro has been on finasteride for 3 years. He's totally fine. I met a guy who was on it for 8 years, he's fine. I'm on it 4 months, no side effects bar thicker eyebrows (which I like). Stop scaremongering, most men on finasteride are fine, and IT WORKS! finasteride makes me happy man, more happy than avoiding possible, but unlikely side effects that may never materialise...

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, I think minoxidil may have exacerbated my dandruff, it got pretty bad for a while, but that's why nizoral is part of the big three I suppose. Imo, it's well worth a bit of dandruff. I just use the dropper that comes with the kirkland minoxidil, press it right up against my scalp and squeeze slowly while dragging it along 2 lines from my temples to my vertex, and from the anterior region to my vertex. Its not an exact science, but you can feel it when it's on your scalp, you'll know if you've got good coverage, your scalp will feel a little damp. I didn't apply foam, i used the liquid, foam is no good if you have longer hair, it'll never reach your scalp.

dvsk13

Reaction score
congrats GM! looks awesome, if i can get close to similar results i will be ecstatic.

i'am beginning with finasteride starting next week…about a year overdue.
One question, what age where you when you started finasteride? Also, approx how long did u notice your thinning/hair loss prior to starting finasteride?

The reason i ask is because i have read that finasteride works best when used by younger males, and if the hair loss is relatively recent.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your pics/story with the community!

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Will be doing that, thanks, although my thinning is more in the front. I have already bought both liquid and foam and was looking to use foam in the morning and liquid at night. I will probably start with only one application at night.

Thanks again and please keep us updated!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks dvsk13! I'm 27 now, and I was 27 when I first realised (last August).
I didn't actually think, or look like I was going bald until quite recently. My hair getting so think you can see my scalp though... That's definitely a recent thing... Last 5-6 months maybe?
I did notice my hair gradually feeling thinner, but I thought it's because as it got longer, I lost more of it when brushing and when it got caught in stuff. If I had to guess, I probably slowly started to thin somewhere between age 22 and 24, but only in the last 6 months did it get to the point where it looks bad... It really creeps up on you!

It's true that hair lost more recently has a greater chance of coming back, and miniaturised hair can be thickened. That said, I hope I have my unmanagable birds nest back when I hit my two year peak (or close enough). Even if I don't get any more gains, I'm pretty happy with what I've got now, and I'll be happy even if I doesn't get any better than this. Everything else is just gravy at this point!

- - - Updated - - -

Stick with the liquid imo Cliff, from what I've read the foam is better than nothing, but the liquid is definitely the more effective of the two.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Will be using the liquid then, I will leave the foam for now. I'm thinking of applying it about 4 hours before bed since I read that that's the drying time. What are your thoughts? I'm concerned that if the minoxidil isn't fully dry, it is likely to rub off on your face while you sleep - therefore more likely to get panda eyes etc.

Appreciate your time. I've been on finasteride about a month now and I have, so far, had no sides. I do think I'm having a shed though, which seems to be shorter hairs for some reason. Although, this shed may be in my mind.