3k/fue Hair Transplant Targeting Sept. Worth It? Or?

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time posting - been reading threads for 5 years. Was time to sign up.

After 4 consults over 5 years, I'm seeing Hasson for FUE this Sept for 3000 grafts and I'm excited, but also nervous - and afraid. 4 years ago I tried finasteride and got the sides. Went off it after 6 weeks, and most of the sides have gone away.

My life took such a down-turn as a result of Finasteride (oral) I'm terrified of trying anything else.
I'm aware of MINOXIDIL, but haven't tried it. Due to my fears, I honestly haven't tied anything else to halt hair loss, or try to regain any hair.

I could be in denial, because since I first noticed my hair loss (24) its been stable for the last 8 years-ish. Hasson is confident I wont go totally bald, even tho I'm a solid N4 today ( at 38 y/o)

My question is, it is a mistake to get FUE without the support of other hair-loss treatments?

How many "good years" could I get?

What's members experiences here? Best case? Worst case?

Cheers
L

Rudy23

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil is much safer in side effects term than finasteride. There is no reason to fear it.

Do you have any pictures so we get a better idea of what is your hairloss like?

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, thanks for the reply. I'll snap some photos and post today/tomorrow

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny how I think about this thread every other day and have been busy (yes) but also in major fear about the responses - But you know what, I need to know and as Bruce Buffer would say, Its Time!

For anyone willing to contribute accurate knowledge & experience to this thread, kindly review my attached photos and advise. Thank you in advance

(3 photos taken after a recent hair cut, same day) I can testify that my hair loss has been nearly identical for the last 8 years.

Attachments

• Headshot_01.JPG
    Headshot_01.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 926
  • Headshot_02.JPG
    Headshot_02.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 910
  • Headshot_03.JPG
    Headshot_03.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 886

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your hair loss hasnt changed in 8 years you are probably fine without finasteride anyway. Finasteride maintains the hair you have. FUE transplanted hairs dont need finasteride.

Minoxidil is definitely worth using now, no sexual sides!

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your hair loss hasnt changed in 8 years you are probably fine without finasteride anyway. Finasteride maintains the hair you have. FUE transplanted hairs dont need finasteride.

Minoxidil is definitely worth using now, no sexual sides!

Thanks for your feedback, its greatly appreciated.

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there any other forum members who could add their experience & knowledge on the matter?

kwall925

My Regimen
Reaction score
You certainly have nothing to lose by taking minoxidil, although if your hair hasn't changed in 8 years you will notice anything at all after taking it. Also I have heard of some topical finasteride formulas that are now on the market, although they don't seem to be studied very thoroughly. If you are nervous about a transplant, i would contact many different doctors to receive multiple opinions (if you have not done so already) also I would ask the doctor you are seeing about medications and treatments post surgery to stimulate the growth of the new hair, I know most of them recommend finasteride after undergoing a procedure.

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi

I think you’ll be fine not having to take finasteride given your age and like you mentioned that your hair loss looks to have stabilized for years now, the only reason t would suggest taking a low dose of finasteride ( 0.25 or 0.5mg a day or every other day) is to help in protecting your current native hair from shock loss during and post your procedure, then after say a month or 2 post you procedure you could stop taking it and start using minoxidil foam or the liquid but I like the foam as it’s less messy.

I think you’re in good hands with Dr Hasson as he does some quality work. Best of luck on your procedure and I hope you post updates on your progress.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny how I think about this thread every other day and have been busy (yes) but also in major fear about the responses - But you know what, I need to know and as Bruce Buffer would say, Its Time!

For anyone willing to contribute accurate knowledge & experience to this thread, kindly review my attached photos and advise. Thank you in advance

(3 photos taken after a recent hair cut, same day) I can testify that my hair loss has been nearly identical for the last 8 years.

wait from 24 to 38 your hair loss hasn't change ? crazy that male pattern baldness cant kick in and then just stop .. which it was my case lol

yammer1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know you didn't come here for this. BUT since you have some fears try the bald look before you take the surgery plunge. Grow a bit of a beard and buzz it off, you may like the look a lot more than you think and it appears you have a well shaped dome.

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on Minoxidil, your reasons for not using it are illogical. Use Nizoral for shampoo twice a week.

I've used both for years and I'm nearly the same age as you and if I didn't use minoxidil (and other treatments such as dermaroller and laser) I'd probably be bald as f***. I'm NW2 and still doing a transplant.

Get a hair transplant you'll feel better about yourself and look better. Use in conjuction with minoxidil going forward.

Good luck.

droog40

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to go slightly off topic, I'm about to start the process of setting up a surgery with Hasson. Already had one years ago with him but am out of the loop. I'm just wondering how quickly they were able to get you in once it was decided you were a good candidate? Like from the time you first contacted them. I'll be looking at around 3k grafts this second time around also. Looking forward to it. Thanks for any insight.

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I want to thank you for your input & feedback here - it helped me make up my mind. I've gone ahead and booked my appt with Dr. Hasson.

Surgery is 2 sessions, likely 4000 grafts - Thursday and Friday next week (Lucky I caught a short-notice appointment) that works with my schedule.

I know how much I valued seeing others stay in touch about their journey and the support other members gave them. I plan to stay in touch and report back as this unfolds.

Have a great long-weekend!

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I want to thank you for your input & feedback here - it helped me make up my mind. I've gone ahead and booked my appt with Dr. Hasson.

Surgery is 2 sessions, likely 4000 grafts - Thursday and Friday next week (Lucky I caught a short-notice appointment) that works with my schedule.

I know how much I valued seeing others stay in touch about their journey and the support other members gave them. I plan to stay in touch and report back as this unfolds.

Have a great long-weekend!

Hair Transplant complete. Ended up being 4900 Grafts, vast majority were 3's and 2's. Dr. Hasson and his team were incredible.

Took 2 sessions, about 10 hours each day (from extraction, to insicions, to planting) all manual.

Just returned from the clinic tonight. Will post photos tomorrow. Feel free to AMA

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
True to my word, pictures of my post-opp are included here.

Photos are from today, 3 days after the second session. 4903 grafts in total.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 611

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say you were actually a norwood 4a as the crown is pretty intact

If you're saying the hair loss has stabilised and at 38 you're a good candidate, even without finasteride.

I'm sure it will be a great result

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your replies are appreciated gents.

Quick update ; heading in for another wash today, its been 1 week since surgery. The pain around my head is brutal, like knife stabs randomly throughout.

I'll post new photos tonight

Logik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Gents,

Another 2 months have passed. Beginning to see baby hair growths and feeling returning to the transplanted area. Still about 40-50% numb. Minor itchiness throughout the head. The redness has not fully subsided in the transplanted area yet. There is no pain at all now. Its been 10 weeks since surgery.

Ive had several (less than 5) ingrown hairs & pimples on my transplanted site, and generally they go away on their own. I have popped a couple of them which caused the graft to pop out. However it was immediately relieved of pressure and soreness.

3 new photos attached.

Attachments

• Photo_01.jpg
    Photo_01.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Photo_02.jpg
    Photo_02.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 523
  • Photo_03.jpg
    Photo_03.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 492

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like it’s progressing well and as it should and in another 3-4 week you will see more new growth and a more visible difference.