3d Printing Achieves Human Skin With Natural Pigmentation

mikes23

Reaction score
https://3dprint.com/201315/3d-printing-skin-pigmentation/

Researchers at A*STAR’s Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech) and the Singapore Centre for 3D Printing (SC3DP) at Nanyang Technological University have developed a way to create pigmentation in 3D printed skin, as described in a study entitled “Proof-of-concept: 3D bioprinting of pigmented human skin constructs,”Furthermore, the bioprinting technique allows the manipulation of pore sizes within the 3D collagen-fibroblast matrices, to fabricate hierarchical porous structures that are clearly seen in the native skin tissues".

Its pretty much end game for scars. A university in Spain and this team have both created functional skin, with this team creating pigmentation and other natural features. For a lot of people who have dealt with these scars, it wont be long until they are gone. It also re assures me that we have a 2 step process if TSUJI method does not work in a scars(Which I think it will) but one can have this done first on their FUT/FUE scars, and then have Tsuji method done into the new donor skin. Then have those new hairs transplanted like a traditional hair transplant. Or you can punch out those old grafts, lay down the new skin on those old recipient sites, and then have Tsuji method done. His method is suppose to provide higher density then a normal hair transplant, so getting rid of those old transplant will give you a permanent, denser, and more natural hairline. I know my hair line has some 3s follicular units in the front and it doesn't have that soft natural hairline appearance, so I would consider this option. although, if you had an unlimited donor hair you can cherry pick the follicles you want and create a natural hairline even with a transplant. This is a just another way incase his method wont work in scars but like I said, I believe it will, he just can't make those claims until he runs some trials. Regardless, everyone here will have some options.

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great proof of concept.

Now if only they can get the rest of the skin’s properties like the follicles to work then they’d have to push it through trials. Interesting for sure, but the unknown time-line for this to progress into skin grafts can be a bit discouraging.

Reactions: br1

mikes23

Reaction score
yeah Its interesting stuff. the next step would be to produce skin with follicles. I believe most teams that are working on printing skin are trying to grow follicles also. discoveries come about a lot faster in the medical field now a days, but I believe Tsuji will create hair before any team working on skin does. I just posted this to show scars should be gone in the near future. It's a big milestone for guys like us. It also shows how fast the medical field is moving. it was last year when the team in Spain created the fully functional skin and a year later we can create pigmentation to it. This isn't ground breaking news for growing hair but this is good for anyone who had a hair transplant.