34 Y.O. male...is it starting to creep back? Mature hairline or start of balding?

gregferblink

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there,

I am a 34 Y.O. male and I noticed about a couple years ago "hmm is it starting to recede?" and on another forum I just got a "nah u good mature hairline". But curious on what you guys think. I'm feeling a bit down on myself and I think that always accentuates the "oh dang im going bald". My hair is super curly as well, so it can be misleading. Since it flows out of my scalp every which way, it looks like I have like weird bald patches until my hair grows out more.

I go thru phases of just buzzing my head, so I decided to do that fairly recently to see if I could notice thinning hairs that way. Any thoughts on this? Am i just being too worrisome? Attached are pictures and years that they were taken.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 16143184_1396056570436304_6368320784172853675_n.jpg
    16143184_1396056570436304_6368320784172853675_n.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 279
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 303

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
The optimal time to start treatments would have been when you first noticed it thinning, maybe 5 years or so ago, but if you still find it worrisome, you still have a chance to stabilize and maybe recover somewhat.

If you did want to start treatments, like it says above do it asap because procrastinating for another 5 years is only going to leave you in a more dire situation.

gregferblink

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ugh! Do you still see the thinning of those spots when I buzz my head? With my curly hair I thought it was misleading so I buzzed it and when it is buzzed I feel like I don't see the thinning as much. Do you still see the thinning when my hair is buzzed?

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
Ugh! Do you still see the thinning of those spots when I buzz my head? With my curly hair I thought it was misleading so I buzzed it and when it is buzzed I feel like I don't see the thinning as much. Do you still see the thinning when my hair is buzzed?

The fact that you don't see it as much when it's buzzed is what's misleading, not the other way around. But I can still see it yeah.

Realizing that you're balding sucks but it's best not to be in denial about it. Try and assess how quickly/slowly it's progressing. And take action if your hair's important to you.

gregferblink

My Regimen
Reaction score
well SHUCKS. I know a friend that is on finasteride...he was balding and then his hair grew back. Is it common to get on finasteride and have those weak spots start to grow back?

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on the individual. Lots get some degree of regrowth but only the best responders get a lot; finasteride is more about maintaining what you have.

gregferblink

My Regimen
Reaction score
best responders as in "first responders"? Am I still in that category? I would like to think im still pretty early when1.5 years ago people were like "nah its just mature" but maybe not?

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best responder in this context means not only did finasteride dramatically slow the progression of loss but it also regrew a lot of the hair that was lost.

In your situation, intervening early would have meant starting treatment around 2015. It seems like there was even some early thinning in that 2014 photo. You were likely already miniaturizing in the frontal area before then. By the time miniaturization is obvious to the naked eye already 50% of the hair is gone. That’s one of the cruel realities of male pattern baldness. The only way to catch it very early is to have your scalp checked under magnification which most people don’t think to do since they can’t see anything wrong. What is your family history of hairloss?

If you tolerate finasteride well and it stabilizes your loss then minoxidil might also add a little bit of density.

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
best responders as in "first responders"? Am I still in that category? I would like to think im still pretty early when1.5 years ago people were like "nah its just mature" but maybe not?

You don't have a lot of recession, but your entire forelock is thinning simultaneously which means that once the hair becomes thin enough and passes a certain threshold, it will start to appear as recession

The problem is that when other people look at it, they're looking at it from the front, so you don't see the full extent of the damage (yet). I'm not trying to be harsh but no, you're not early. It's not too late either though, but you need to act now. If you let it progress it won't take long until it becomes a real issue. It doesn't look very aggressive which means you have a good chance with meds

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are clearly thinning at the whole front and the buzzed head pictures show that there is some thinning on the midscalp too. Get on finasteride and minoxidil 5% asap. How's your family history? You could end up with a diffuse rat's nest or a very thinned out front three years from now if you don't start treatment soon. Good news is that the midscalp will probably recover once you've started minoxidil and you should see some improvement at the front too. If you stay on that regimen you would probably be a good candidate for a hair transplant down the line if you keep thinning at the front and end up needing one. Otherwise it could end up being game over. Hope to be a good responder to one of those two meds but don't expect it. Most people only see maintenace from finasteride, or some thickening after a year or two.

Sorry to be so blunt but it is important that you start a regimen soon. There was already some recession and thinning two years ago, that is when you should have started. Once you can see thinning from the naked eye and under average lighting when the hair's grown out it is already quite advanced, and most men recede at first and then thin out, ending up with a thinned out rat's nest and bald in a few years.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, the top looks thinner than the sides of your hair. You are thinning 100%
It's pretty common to start balding in your 30s so don't feel too bad about it and start treatments.

gregferblink

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys have a recommendation on who I should go see to get meds? I just tried to get an appointment for my normal doctor and he's friggin booked until early May. I heard maybe I should go to a dermatologist? Or should I go to like a hair loss specialty place? Or do I do one of these online things like keeps or for hims?

I've heard just getting a prescription and not going thru one of these online sites is the cheaper route to go...is this true? Do y'all have suggestion on the best approach to get it at the best price?

Last edited:

Chill dude

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I am a 34 Y.O. male and I noticed about a couple years ago "hmm is it starting to recede?" and on another forum I just got a "nah u good mature hairline". But curious on what you guys think. I'm feeling a bit down on myself and I think that always accentuates the "oh dang im going bald". My hair is super curly as well, so it can be misleading. Since it flows out of my scalp every which way, it looks like I have like weird bald patches until my hair grows out more.

I go thru phases of just buzzing my head, so I decided to do that fairly recently to see if I could notice thinning hairs that way. Any thoughts on this? Am i just being too worrisome? Attached are pictures and years that they were taken.

Thanks,
Best get 2 steppin cos Charlie bald is’a comin

gregferblink

My Regimen
Reaction score
well pretty sure I got fuggin swindled....I was trying to get in to my primary doctor to get a finasteride prescription, and my doctor was booked out until the end of April. I knew you could go to a dermatologist to get hair prescriptions so I found one that was around me that I could see today.

Well, he gave me the "yep you're thinning so get some meds" but what threw me for a loop was that he was like "I only prescribe propecia, not finasteride. I have had people have negative side effects from that. AND you can buy it from my office at a discounted price! For 90 day supply it would be $300." This sounded like a whole buncha bologna to me so I just said "I'll think about it". I didn't realize it but I actually went to this guy in the past for a skin condition, and he took like 5 mins to look at it and say "you're fine" and the bill was like $200. So, I think he's just trying to suck me in and make some mooly. He also tried to explain to me the generic finasteride was "different" than propecia because of this and that and thats why I should take it.

I also talked to a friend whos a pharmacist who is also taking finasteride and he was like "yah...sounds like a buncha BS." So, I'm deciding to go another route. My friggin primary care guy retired so I am having to go to this new guy who's booked out until May. The only other option is to go with a female doctor that actually has an opening on Friday, March 11th. I feel a lil bit iffy about having a female doctor but damnit I want to just get these meds and get on my way...

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
well pretty sure I got fuggin swindled....I was trying to get in to my primary doctor to get a finasteride prescription, and my doctor was booked out until the end of April. I knew you could go to a dermatologist to get hair prescriptions so I found one that was around me that I could see today.

Well, he gave me the "yep you're thinning so get some meds" but what threw me for a loop was that he was like "I only prescribe propecia, not finasteride. I have had people have negative side effects from that. AND you can buy it from my office at a discounted price! For 90 day supply it would be $300." This sounded like a whole buncha bologna to me so I just said "I'll think about it". I didn't realize it but I actually went to this guy in the past for a skin condition, and he took like 5 mins to look at it and say "you're fine" and the bill was like $200. So, I think he's just trying to suck me in and make some mooly. He also tried to explain to me the generic finasteride was "different" than propecia because of this and that and thats why I should take it.

I also talked to a friend whos a pharmacist who is also taking finasteride and he was like "yah...sounds like a buncha BS." So, I'm deciding to go another route. My friggin primary care guy retired so I am having to go to this new guy who's booked out until May. The only other option is to go with a female doctor that actually has an opening on Friday, March 11th. I feel a lil bit iffy about having a female doctor but damnit I want to just get these meds and get on my way...
I buy dutasteride from an online store. No dermatologist or doctor would prescribe me it anyway.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Your frontal thinning should be identified by any dermatologist worth his weight, hopefully she'll give you that prescription

Beeky

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no doubt you're thinning - but you can find a way through this. There's help - try not to let this take over your life.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Are you in the US? Unfortunately from my experience brand name propecia (1mg) is roughly $100/month in the US when purchased through a retail chain pharmacy. Generic finasteride was maybe 1/3 of that and even cheaper online I think. Bizarre that your Doctor won’t prescribe you generic.

I’ve been on both over the years and I felt that propecia worked better for me. Not all generics are equally effective due to quality control issues. There’s been discussion in this forum and several others about brand name vs generic going back many years. I think it’s definitely worth reading about to get some perspective.