31 - bald spot starting on top of head....

golfnut

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Brand new to the site. I'm 31 and married. My dad who's in his 60's is very bald except for a little rim around (looks like #7 in this http://www.stevens-trichology.com/male-pattern-baldness-chart.jpg).

I'm concerned with this area because it's noticeable now if the wind blows my hair there is a giant open spot. My wife said she doesn't care if I go bald but that's not me. I want hair. :)

Here's my pics.

Any insight on what I should try for regime? I'm not sold on spending the $$ on hair transplant. I have been using NIzoral shampoo a few times a week for the past 2 months (after I read a little here). Not doing anything that I can tell.

Thanks for your help!!

photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

EricGerard

Reaction score
That borderline looks like an alopecia areata.. a bald "spot" in that area isn't consistent with the generalized thinning on top and hairline recession you'd normally see from male pattern baldness. Maybe see a dermo and see what they say? They'll likely put you on 5% minoxidil though! If it is androgenic alopecia, you'll need a DHT inhibitor like finasteride of dutasteride in the long run though.

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you gone to a doctor to get diagnosed yet..? This really doesn't look like typical male pattern baldness, you're losing your hair in patches

andywill

Reaction score
Looks like alopecia areata to me, this is how my total hair loss started.

Take a look at your nutrition, in particular ensure you are getting enough zinc. I would start supplementing with a high quality / easy absorb-able form of zinc such as zinc piclonate - take 50mg per day and see how you get on. Zinc is an imunomodifier and helps boost your immune system. Alopecia is thought to be an autoimmune disease and zinc can help with that.

From you photos you also appear to have quite pale skin, you may be vitamin d deficient also. UV from the sun has been shown to have a positive effect on the immune system, obviously dont go out and burn yourself though. UV exposure actually used to me a treatment in the 70's but due to the skin cancer problem they stopped recommending this.

Also check you iron intake is sufficient and ensure your general diet is good. Stay away from the nasty chemicals to put on your head...only use as a last resort!

- - - Updated - - -

There is an interesting study here - http://omicsonline.org/oral-zinc-su...-blind-cross-over-study-2155-9554.1000150.pdf

Hope it helps!

golfnut

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I haven't been to a derm yet. I definitely don't have the best diet (limited veggies/fruits and too much carbs/grains). I know that I need to do better. In addition I need to try to drink more water. I only have 20-30 ounces a day. I know I know... shame on me!

I have read a little about natural things that might help. Anyone take Vitamin E and/or Biotin??

- - - Updated - - -

Would a regular Men's multi-vitamin take care of the Zinc, Iron and Vit D???