3 yr old daughter losing hair

skylinek82

Reaction score
My daughter has been losing her hair over the last three months. She has a large bald spot on top and the rest of her hair is very thin. I have taken her to a doctor and was told it was aleopicia. Her blood work is normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jules1984

Reaction score
We've just discovered my 3 year old daughter has satrted losing her hair in patches. We did a blood test yesterday and are waiting for results... I'm not of much help here, but I wanted to see what others had to say about this.

skylinek82

Reaction score
We also did blood work and it was fine. Which is good, but provides no answers. I also took her to an acupuncturist. He did muscle testing on her and found she was not absorbing iodine. Since seeing him she has continued losing more hair. He said give it 2 to 3 months. It had been a month so far. Hoping to find more answers if anyone else has gone through this.

Jules1984

Reaction score
Interesting about the iodine... would that indicate that there is something wrong with her thyroid and that could be the cause of her hair loss? Did you get blood work done to determine thyroid function? We live in Canada and I was so worried about my daughters hair loss that we ended up spending 6 hours in the emergency to get some answers. They wouldn't take another blood test because we already have one pending but they did reassure us that it's not something to be worried about unless she is having other symptoms such as: fatigue, weight loss, inactive... our daughter is exactly the same besides the hair loss. If it turns out that she is anemic or has a thryroid disorder, once started on medication the hair will begin to grow back.

Have you tried giving her iodine and silica? I think they sell those things at health food stores. I've read online that people who have started taking those minerals that their hair has started growing back...I might actually look into getting some for my daughter. Hope this helps... hugs... we're right there with you!

skylinek82

Reaction score
When the acupuncturist did his testing, her thyroid was off. She is taking iodine now. She also seems to be completely healthy. So sad to watch her little head go bald. It is hard to wait this out and see if the hair grows back. So nice chatting with you. :)

Deeinil

Reaction score
My 2 1/2 year old son is going through the same thing. He has been losing his hair since Jan. We've been to 2 family Drs, and 2 dermatologists. We're waiting on the blood test results, but they say it's alopecia totalis. He lost all his hair & eyebrows. We are setting up an appointment to see a Pediatric Dermatologist about 4 hrs away. We are looking into the injections in the scalp. I would have this child checked out if you haven't already. Go to www.naaf.com and e-mail Laura Ralph. She will e-mail you a list of pediatric dermatologist with experience in Children's hair loss. The dermatologists we went to have admitted to us they don't have any experience with this. Go to someone that does. :)