3 Years On Minoxidol And Now They Changed The Formula

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,
It's so interesting reading your posts.
I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia almost 4 years ago. Put on 4% minoxidol with progesterone. Worked amazing and within a year I had the hair of my dreams. No more extensions!
Then I had to fill out a medical form with the hair loss clinic about 6 months ago and because of the history of breast cancer in my family they changed my formula to caffeine instead of progesterone. After that, my hair slowly started thinning out again. When I told the clinic, they said it can't be the formula as the progesterone is just a carrier and the active ingredient, the minoxidol is the same. They have now put me on 5% minoxidol, just in case but I'm not convinced that it will work.
Just in case, I'm doing weekly microneedling, laser cap every two days and I'm getting PRP done on Monday. (I had a few PRP sessions 3-4 years ago when I first started the treatment)
I'm very worried that I will not be able to get back the beautiful hair I've grown or that I'll keep losing my hair. Anyone else in similar shoes?

resu

Reaction score
Progesterone isn't the carrier, they're 100% wrong. Ethanol is the carrier and PG acts as a delay so that the active ingredient takes 3 to 4 hours to be absorbed instead of the ethanol evaporating in a few minutes, it also avoids the solution from being too runny. Almost certain that progesterone was what was working for you along with the minoxidil itself.

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Resu. That's exactly what I was thinking. But instead, they were trying to blame it on something that must have changed in my life, stress, medications, etc., but none of which apply to the situation. Can the PG really be that dangerous to someone with a family history of cancer? I've been using natural progesterone for years.

Reactions: Alk

resu

Reaction score
Thanks Resu. That's exactly what I was thinking. But instead, they were trying to blame it on something that must have changed in my life, stress, medications, etc., but none of which apply to the situation. Can the PG really be that dangerous to someone with a family history of cancer? I've been using natural progesterone for years.

I'm not familiar with progesterone so I can't say but Ethanol and PG are safe but can cause some skin irritation in various degrees of seriousness. I would pressure your docs and the chemists to try and keep the same formula if they say it's safe.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks again!

Can you keep us posted about he PRP? Not many women on here and so far its mostly been men who had it done..Im thinking of getting it done in the Spring.

Are you in USA or Europe? You don't have to answer just wondering about the progesterone. Im in US and no one mentioned that to me..I want to ask my Dr if i should add that to my topical..My topical has 17 Alpha estrodial in it though not sure if that is similar.

Knock on wood right now i am having good results--and when i say good i just mean my shedding has slowed down.
But i am pretty new to treatments.

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you keep us posted about he PRP? Not many women on here and so far its mostly been men who had it done..Im thinking of getting it done in the Spring.

Are you in USA or Europe? You don't have to answer just wondering about the progesterone. Im in US and no one mentioned that to me..I want to ask my Dr if i should add that to my topical..My topical has 17 Alpha estrodial in it though not sure if that is similar.

Knock on wood right now i am having good results--and when i say good i just mean my shedding has slowed down.
But i am pretty new to treatments.

Hairblues I'm glad you're getting some results. Hope you will start growing new hair soon.
I'm in Europe, in Spain right now. Lived in Switzerland before, where I did about 2-3 PRP sessions at the same time as when I started using the minoxidol, 3-4 years ago. When my hair started shedding again, I began to wonder if it was perhaps the PRP, which worked and not the minoxidol combo and it was just time for a touch up. So I'll be really curious to see how things change after this treatment. I found a doctor who has a special machine, which can extract 5 times the plasma, the normal machines can so you don't actually need 3-4 treatments, only one per year.

What I find truly amazing is that on Real Self 93% of people said that PRP was worth it for hair loss: https://www.realself.com/prp-for-hair-loss When you look at most treatments rated, it's already good if they get a 50% rating. So that is truly remarkable to me.

I guess the only thing is that since I'm doing so many things right now, with the change of minoxidol to 5%, laser cap, mesotherapy, PRP, it will be difficult to know, exactly what has made the difference. And that's assuming that the hair grows back once again. I really hope that we are not just given one chance to grow it back and it doesn't work quite the same way the 2nd time around.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
do you get it with Acell?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think so. I've never heard of it.

The Dr i had a consult with he ads Acell to it...Acell is something professional athletes use when they have injuries i don't understand it completely you can google it.

When i clicked on the link one of the women who reviewed the treatment and had great photos of her progress had it with Acell.

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also interested in PRP... since there are so many counter indications when you have a history of reast cancer in your family...
Please @Helcsi let me know how it goes :) I don't know if they have the same stuff here in France.

Will definitely keep you guys posted. Pasbrillantebrunette I'm 100% sure they offer this in France. It's very popular all over Europe.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesterone seems to be a hit.

I would order some from another place, if I were you.

If you think about it, Progesterone does the opposite of what DHT does to hair. It's both a growth agent
and stops DHT/hair shrinkage. Hair never sheds/ rarely on Progesterone.

By the way Helcsi, is that you in your avatar?

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Progesterone seems to be a hit.

I would order some from another place, if I were you.

If you think about it, Progesterone does the opposite of what DHT does to hair. It's both a growth agent
and stops DHT/hair shrinkage. Hair never sheds/ rarely on Progesterone.

By the way Helcsi, is that you in your avatar?

Rclark, that's exactly what I was thinking, to just order from another place but do worry about the health implications. Also, I just got a 6 month supply from the UK with the 5% minoxidol with the caffeine carrier and it cost a fortune. So I'm really not sure what to do.

Yes, that's me. I literally grew that much hair with the previous formula. Now I had to put hair extenstions back in to have the same kind of volume. It's very sad.

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
It's so interesting reading your posts.
I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia almost 4 years ago. Put on 4% minoxidol with progesterone. Worked amazing and within a year I had the hair of my dreams. No more extensions!
Then I had to fill out a medical form with the hair loss clinic about 6 months ago and because of the history of breast cancer in my family they changed my formula to caffeine instead of progesterone. After that, my hair slowly started thinning out again. When I told the clinic, they said it can't be the formula as the progesterone is just a carrier and the active ingredient, the minoxidol is the same. They have now put me on 5% minoxidol, just in case but I'm not convinced that it will work.
Just in case, I'm doing weekly microneedling, laser cap every two days and I'm getting PRP done on Monday. (I had a few PRP sessions 3-4 years ago when I first started the treatment)
I'm very worried that I will not be able to get back the beautiful hair I've grown or that I'll keep losing my hair. Anyone else in similar shoes?

Hello, they do this because hormone reinforcements "like progesterone" can cause cancer.
This sitiation was by my aunt. As your family members had this, the risk seems higher.
It`s better you search for other treatment methods.

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, they do this because hormone reinforcements "like progesterone" can cause cancer.
This sitiation was by my aunt. As your family members had this, the risk seems higher.
It`s better you search for other treatment methods.

I understand rafles but what if that was what worked for me? And nothing else will be quite as effective?

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand rafles but what if that was what worked for me? And nothing else will be quite as effective?

You have different options.
You can do what they say, - You can go to another clinic another medical center, - Or you can take it without their approval (take the risk)

I myself would choose the last option (Take the risk), because I think they like to exaggerate things.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im not a science person

but can't then monitor your levels of hormones to tell if it goes systemic?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not really sure hairblues. I'm thinking of visiting a hair clinic locally where they can advise and monitor me better.

I would try to find that out because then its simple blood test and they don't have to take you off of it.

The whole idea i thought was that the topicals don't go systemic but maybe progesterone is diffenrt i know some women in menopause use the creams etc.

Im on topical Sprio and estrodial alpha 17 topical

It seems to be helping me.

Helcsi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairblues I think it's quite difficult to test when you're my age and hormones are all over the place. I have also been using tropical progesterone for years.

I'm really happy to hear that your treatment is working for you. Gives us all hope.