3 year HairLossTalk.com Update. - Help me take a next step.

bombscience

Reaction score
Hola Chicos. I've been using hair loss treatments for three years now and considering I haven't posted to the forums in forever, I thought it would be nice to share my success and misery.

Here's the skinny:

Timeline
Started noticing hair loss: December 02 (Age 24)
Began the battle: March 03
Realized i was alergic to Propylene Glycol: July 03
Currently: March 06 (Age 27)

Current Treatments (last 12 months):
minoxidil 5% mornings, Xandrox 15% evenings.
Dutasteride 0.5mg daily.
Finasteride 1mg daily (stupid, i know)

3 year results:
Possibly slowed the rate at which my hair is thinning. A noticable increase in hair growth was noticed in the fall of 2004 after Xandrox 15% was added.

Currently
Shedding has GREATLY increased. Hair loss treatments seem to be losing effectiveness. Noticable increase in quantity of hair loss, and thinning of scalp coverage.

Began buzzing my head to a #4 in Spring of 05. Use Toppik daily. The honeymoon is over. I'm back on track for a divorce.

What steps do i take next? (select one)

1. Bump the dutasteride dosage to 1mg?
2. Seek out an RU formula and try that
3. Try fluridil
4 Suck it up and accept my baldness.

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards number 1 or 2. [/b]

Aplunk1

Reaction score
bombscience said:
What steps do i take next? (select one)

1. Bump the dutasteride dosage to .1mg?
2. Seek out an RU formula and try that
3. Try fluridil
4 Suck it up and accept my baldness.

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards number 1 or 2. [/b]

Hey bombscience,
I haven't seen you in these forums since I joined, but it looks like you've got a lot of posts goin'. In any case, sorry to hear about the divorce. I hope things work out.

--What to do next...

1) Why not bump the dutasteride dosage to .5mg? Are you on genuine Avodart or generic?
2) Here we go.......... Don't waste your time.
3) It might be worth a shot to get some topical fluridil going. Instead, why not try topical spiroactalone? I'm using it myself. It seems like it's working.
4) Heck no. Fight on, man.

Copper Peptides?

Lastly, any pics?

Best of luck, buddy.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
i'd throw away the finasteride, bump up the dutasteride dosage to 0.5 mg every other day. throw in 2% spironolactone , maybe make it yourself?.. keep the 15% xandrox. Add in a few supplements, like MSM , zinc and another multivit.

also add an oil or two if you have any inflamation problems.

and uh..0.05 mg dutasteride?..how'd you manage that? cut the pill into 10 pieces?!

bombscience

Reaction score
dutasteride: Sorry about the confusion with the Dutasteride. I am using 0.5mg. It was late and my math is bad. Also I'm using generics, not Avodart. I plan to get blood work done this moth to see what my DHT levels are, because what i'm taking (Dr. Reddy's) isn't legit, or I have other factors contributing to my hairloss.

So, should I bump to 1mg?

spironolactone: I can't do the 2% formula because it contains PG - I'm allergic. I have used the 5% cream before, although it's really a hassle considering I'm a diffuse thinner. If you know of a liquid that has no PG, I'd be interested. I only know of Dr. Lee (who i've met in person).

Peptides: If anyone knows if Tricomen or Crinagen have PG in them, it would be a great help. I have tried to use Folligen, and can't - PG allergy again.

RU - Why not?

Fluridil - I'm interested, but I haven't heard many postiive things... Plus the fact I have to use it when my scalp is completely dry might be a hassle

Supplements: I used to take MSM, although those results are cosemtic and temporary. Good idea, i'll try that again for a boost in confidence. I take a multivitamen, and try to take antioxidants. I'm not sure about Zinc, is there research that shows it fights thinning?

Pictures: I don't have the time right now, but I will make sure to take some more recent photos. My legacy photos show my hair at all different lengths from the last three years but it's easy to see the progress made in year 2, and the regress made in year 3.

I'll post those later today.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd drop the finasteride and add Nizoral shampoo 3x times a week and Folligen or Tricomin (Folligen is cheaper and more concentrated) daily. Folligen and minoxidil may have a synergistic effect, both working better together than either separately.

You say you are allergice to PG, but I wasn't aware that Folligen has PG in it. I don't believe that Tricomin does.

You might also try emu oil, although it is very messy. It helps fight scalp inflammation though.

bombscience

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
I'd drop the finasteride and add Nizoral shampoo 3x times a week and Folligen or Tricomin (Folligen is cheaper and more concentrated) daily. Folligen and minoxidil may have a synergistic effect, both working better together than either separately.

Oh! I left that out of my regimine, because it's so routine. I use nizoral every other day.

I'll try to get some ingredient info on Tricomen to see if it contains PG. The ingredient list that Dr. Pickart sends with his Folligen lists Propylene Glycol as a component.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe your going through a big shed that might prove to be beneficial... stick to your regime for another 5-6 months and see if things improve up top.

Thinning hair

Reaction score
Hey BOMBSCIENCE, doesn't it bother u to hear little things that we use BY itself helps ppl get a full head of hair?

I feel your pain bra.

Let's get real and face the music here, should we?

If u used so many Shizz on your head, what makes u think anything will help any more then that?

Try and save up money and get a transplant.

Also FYI don't let the Doctor talk u into getting a transplant without going off the drugs after half a year. If u don't u will get B A D hairline when it retreats again.

Thinning hair

Reaction score
Steve4263 said:
Is it true that the Xandrox 15% induces a shed? I thought I read other posts that it does. It contains Azelaic acid http://www.minoxidil.com/azelaic.htm which is suppose to block 100% of DHT? What does spironolactone 5% do then?

Azelaic does jack, trust me on that. That's just some Dr. Lee BS lab about DHT in VITRO experiment which doesn't work in real life.

Even him himself said Spirolactione beats Azelaic acid hands down. Also he explained ppl like to use only one topical so that's why he made Xandrox.